• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heat lamp and thermostat

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
So, I know this guy who has owned several reptiles (not certain that he has ever owned a bearded dragon, though) and he is adamant about having a ceramic bulb for day time use that is set up to a thermostat so that it regulates the temperature at the basking spot, keeping it at a constant. In this way you won't have to worry about checking the temps b/c the heat turns off when it gets to a certain point and comes back on when it starts to cool. Anyone ever hear of this and what are your thoughts?

BristolAvon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes - I have a heat bulb attached to a dimming stat. I still have an additional thermometer to monitor the temperature.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are many roads to the same destination.

Personally, because BDs thrive on Bright White Light (Which is basically all UVA is), I really recommend using white light for heat. While using a CHE for daytime heat in itself, would not be detrimental to the BD, I feel using white light is the much better option. That being said, using a thermostat on a 'White' light, is not the best of plans, as it would be turning the light On\Off several times a day, confusing the BD even if it is dimmed slowly by a dimming thermostat.

I have never used a thermostat, don't really think that they are the best option in this application for daytime heat, but that is simply a personal opinion. Thermostats are wonderful for controlling night heat, if night heat is absolutely necessary because the night ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F (16-17C). Then they would be superb to run a CHE to take the edge off, without heating the enclosure too much & still allowing the BD to cool down for a good nights rest. Where I live, at times in the winter it gets much colder than minus 40 outside, but my home never drops below the low 70s F, so I never have to supplement night heat.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

Latest posts