• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat and UVB dilemma

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
Iam confused can u send me the link again please Iam so scared some sites takes along time here because of the winter storm we had here in Texas

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Iam confused can u send me the link again please Iam so scared some sites takes along time here because of the winter storm we had here in Texas
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html get a 24" fixture it comes w/a 5.0 bulb hang on to it you can use as a back up distance and placement for this bulb is different from the one you need
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html order the 22" bulb
this place sells out fast on these bulbs and fixtures I recommend you get this ordered ASAP-
Please let me know when you get it so I can help you place it in your tank

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
Is this the lightView attachment 26273
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html get a 24" fixture it comes w/a 5.0 bulb hang on to it you can use as a back up distance and placement for this bulb is different from the one you need
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html order the 22" bulb
this place sells out fast on these bulbs and fixtures I recommend you get this ordered ASAP-
Please let me know when you get it so I can help you place it in your tank
I think I got it

Attachments

• 1C9B764B-21A7-4169-9640-876A98182B5F.png
    1C9B764B-21A7-4169-9640-876A98182B5F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 15

Vheefresch

Hatchling Dragon
I think I got it

Attachments

• 600D4F10-BF01-48F8-A7F6-57DF0F849954.png
    600D4F10-BF01-48F8-A7F6-57DF0F849954.png
    992.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 8F2B66DD-8E52-48B7-8E06-55EF3C6A134F.png
    8F2B66DD-8E52-48B7-8E06-55EF3C6A134F.png
    746.1 KB · Views: 15

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a double bulb lamp, housing one 100w heat bulb and one uvb bulb. This does not get his tank hot enough.

2 heat bulbs fix the problem, but leaves my beardie without uvb.

I am considering 2 options:

-getting a higher watt heat bulb, or

-getting a second, lower wattage capacity lamp for the uvb, which I would put alongside/ in front of the heat lamp.

Which option would be my best bet, in your opinion? Thanks
Hi the Beardie needs UVB and this uvb bulb needs replacing every 6Mnths please order the Reptisun 10.0 T5; it’s the best uvb bulb it’s a long tubular light place it in the bacj beginning at the hot side and the basking bulb in front of that so when he basks her gets uvb. Coiled & Colored bulbs are Never to be used ever; it’s burns their eyes. Fro heat the best one is the Zoomed Clear basking bulb; a 100Watt should be sufficient assuming the tank is 18inches highe u can buy a higher or lower basking platform and or turn the Hester on in your home to 69 or 70 amd that should help get the temp correct. If your tank is 24 inches high then get a 150watt zoomed basking bulb and the platform should be 14 inches or so away that’s usually what works to get the rigth temp on a higher tank u gotta play around with it ans u can return stuff as u try it out. And u need a digital thermometer it’s $10 it comes with a long black probe and that sites on the basking platform to measure the temp it takes a few hours or so to hit the right temp and mod day it will be super hot so u need to adjust the temp in your home &/or monitor till u get it rigtht. An adult Beardie needs 95-100 temp more liek 97 and a baby/juvenile 1-8mnths old needs 105-110; more like 105. After 8mnths or so they liek it less hot study your Beardie;) as he grows.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Click on the link I posted earlier- go back thru the posts there are two that I know I posted
Order this UVB the length I order should cover 70 percent of the tank. And replace it every 6Mnths!!

Attachments

• 3ECC4555-DBDD-4920-866A-2E28C2B51CE9.png
    3ECC4555-DBDD-4920-866A-2E28C2B51CE9.png
    3 MB · Views: 7

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ReptiSun T5 HO Light Fixture | Pangea Reptile | Zoo Med This is cheaper, also sadie has directed this person already and im pretty sure everything isin order :) Thanks though
Sadie tends to give wrong info at times; we rescue and rehome and work with several vets. It’s the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it has to be 10.0; she used to direct people to get 5.0 that emits little to No UVb. Google it: whats better Reptisun 10.0 or 5,0; always the 10.0.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Get rid of the coil UVB--- they are inadequate and in the long run are going to cause all kinds of health issues- are you using a 13 watt coil bulb? If so ditch it fast-- your basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate before you change the bulb out for a higher wattage get a actual basking temp- take the probe set it on the place where he sits to bask wait 10 minutes and get the temp-- how old is the dragon and how big is the tank hes in? You need basking temps of 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult dragon -- these two things the basking temps and the UVB are the MOST important thing in that tank - this is what you need for a UVB
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank w/ this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb -- this bulb needs to be changed out in approx one year I recommend a month prior to -- please get your lighting and basking temps corrected or your gonna have a lot of health issues -- that UVB controls the absorption and synthesizing of the calcium your dragon is eating -- w/ out proper UVB he cannot do this along w/ other health issues -- please get the digital probe thermometer -- petco or petsmart carry them $9
The temp is 95-100 for an adult dragon; typically starting at 9mnths or so it’s 95-100; more like 97;) we reacue and rehome.

Mushu2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a double bulb lamp, housing one 100w heat bulb and one uvb bulb. This does not get his tank hot enough.

-getting a second, lower wattage capacity lamp for the uvb, which I would put alongside/ in front of the heat lamp.

My son obtained a beardie from his aunt that could no longer care for him, and I have the same problem. I bought a double hooded lamp that houses a 100w basking bulb and a ceramic heat bulb that I put on one side of his tank and a reptisun UVB bulb and hou

sing unit that I put on top of his tank on the cooler side since UVB doesn’t heat up. The basking bulb doesn’t get nearly hot enough for him during the day though, and I was getting worried. On a normal day it was only heating his basking spot to about 95 so I keep his ceramic heating bulb on during the day too which bumps his basking temp to about 104 which is perfect. I turn the ceramic bulb along with all his other lights off at night since it doesn’t get below 75 in my house right now at night and he seems to be doing pretty well.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My son obtained a beardie from his aunt that could no longer care for him, and I have the same problem. I bought a double hooded lamp that houses a 100w basking bulb and a ceramic heat bulb that I put on one side of his tank and a reptisun UVB bulb and hou

sing unit that I put on top of his tank on the cooler side since UVB doesn’t heat up. The basking bulb doesn’t get nearly hot enough for him during the day though, and I was getting worried. On a normal day it was only heating his basking spot to about 95 so I keep his ceramic heating bulb on during the day too which bumps his basking temp to about 104 which is perfect. I turn the ceramic bulb along with all his other lights off at night since it doesn’t get below 75 in my house right now at night and he seems to be doing pretty well.
Ok remove the ceramic heat emitter bulb that is in the double lamp if u need more heat; get another clear basking bulb; u can use the 100watt & get a 50 watt or use a 75 & 50watt. Please make sure it’s a clear bulb, the best basking ones are the Zoomed ones. And the UVB needs to begin at the hot/basking side, so when he basks he gets UVB; he will die without UVb; brittle bones, unable to walk, tremors, shakes and seizures. Please do not let it get to this point. The Best UVB is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 also all UVB’s need replacing every 6Mnths. The length u order should cover 70percent of the tank & he needs a a-hideaway. Get a digital thermometer & digital hygrometer for accuatacy & temp; the gauge needs to be a few inches from the top of the cage along with hygrometer next to it & both on the basking area and place the probe on his basking platform. After getting the correct UVB or changing it if it’s been 6Mnths & getting 2 clear zoomed basking bulbs for the double lamp then u don’t need the ceramic heat emitter. Also u can always return & exchange items at the petstore or get store credit. So buy and play around. 104 is good if he’s 8mnths or younger tyoically when they get older it’s 95-100. Is he basking? Pooping everyday or every other day & are the poops firm like a cats? And eating everyday? Then his temps are good. These changes will help & attached is a pic of the Reptisun UVB to order. For the Beardies safety & long term health it’s best to get it. Here’s a picot the Reptisun & of mine u place the long tube in the back of the cage starting at the hot side and basking lamp I. Front of that so when he basks he gets UVB. Uvb breaks down the calcium & gives him Vitamin D so it’s very very vital. U can also place a hammock behind his basking spot so he has a lesser temp to lounge/bask if the main one gets too HOT.

Attachments

• 57BB4C89-BDD0-4073-A648-FC714634CD01.png
    57BB4C89-BDD0-4073-A648-FC714634CD01.png
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 2673DCAD-60F6-46DB-B910-7D085EB9F54D.jpeg
    2673DCAD-60F6-46DB-B910-7D085EB9F54D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts