• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Healthiest morphs

Tiffany9605

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon died earlier today. I’m heartbroken. I don’t understand why he died, and my vet did not know what was wrong with him either. He died young - he was 5.5 years old. I got him from a local reptile store as a juvenile. He was apparently traded by his owner/breeder on some other animal. He was always on the small side. His vet and I wondered if he had a failure to thrive issue. He would eat, but as he got older he ate less and fewer types of food. He was an orange leatherback with blue bars. He was also my first dragon. Looking back, I wonder if his being a leatherback made him genetically weaker compared to the traditional, gray spiky beardies. Are there certain morphs that have longer longevity? I still have my girl beardie, who I have owned four years, and she was also purchased from the same store. She was an owner turn in. Her previous owner didn’t have time for her. She was gentle, well-fed, citrus with dark blue/purple stripes and spiky. She is presently about 8 years old. At some point, I will want to get another beardie and I want to go through a breeder this time. I have no idea what makes for a good breeder, or what morphs are hardier.

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to read this. It's always hard to lose them. You have my sympathy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My dragon died earlier today. I’m heartbroken. I don’t understand why he died, and my vet did not know what was wrong with him either. He died young - he was 5.5 years old. I got him from a local reptile store as a juvenile. He was apparently traded by his owner/breeder on some other animal. He was always on the small side. His vet and I wondered if he had a failure to thrive issue. He would eat, but as he got older he ate less and fewer types of food. He was an orange leatherback with blue bars. He was also my first dragon. Looking back, I wonder if his being a leatherback made him genetically weaker compared to the traditional, gray spiky beardies. Are there certain morphs that have longer longevity? I still have my girl beardie, who I have owned four years, and she was also purchased from the same store. She was an owner turn in. Her previous owner didn’t have time for her. She was gentle, well-fed, citrus with dark blue/purple stripes and spiky. She is presently about 8 years old. At some point, I will want to get another beardie and I want to go through a breeder this time. I have no idea what makes for a good breeder, or what morphs are hardier.
I am so sorry to hear about your dragon - and it is so frustrating to know why as well -- had he been sick ? Not eating? My two dragons are a orange citrus pagona and the other one is a wiblet/ red translucent and the sick one- I explain in my post --

I cant help w/ genetics or breeds of that matter -- I think it boils down to care of the dragon itself - I know there can be bad breeders that cause genetics to go wrong and we dont know exactly how to determine that - some breeders get bad reps - its good your girl is doing good - I too have two dragons one is in real good health and for the last year my other one has developed a cataract in one eye and the other eye has a abnormal eye ball so he cant see very well - I contacted the breeder and she has not heard of any issues w/ that clutch she had that he came from - he will be 4 here in a week or so - I had him in for a check up for the eye thing and as too why he was not eating not losing weight just not eating - I figured it was his eye sight so we did blood work and come to find out he had a liver infection going on - he was put on 2 antibiotics and milk thistle w/ a probiotic - he is still of good weight - I had a recheck of his blood done and all his levels have come down - so hes getting better - he tries to catch his roaches and caught one here the other day - still not eating his salads so I am still force feeding the Critical Care - I dont know if he will go back to eating on his own I still offer him salad on a salad plate instead of a bowl and he drinks water off his salad plate that I spray on his head and it drips onto the plate - he moves around his tank I have recently had to lower his UVB in his tank as he quit climbing on his rock to get to the correct distance for the rays so it now sits about 12 inches above him from the floor - - I am going to have you go to a website for breed information and questions that you have about morphs etc and see if we can get someone on there to help you -- www.beardeddragon.org ---

Tiffany9605

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am so sorry to hear about your dragon - and it is so frustrating to know why as well -- had he been sick ? Not eating? My two dragons are a orange citrus pagona and the other one is a wiblet/ red translucent and the sick one- I explain in my post --

I cant help w/ genetics or breeds of that matter -- I think it boils down to care of the dragon itself - I know there can be bad breeders that cause genetics to go wrong and we dont know exactly how to determine that - some breeders get bad reps - its good your girl is doing good - I too have two dragons one is in real good health and for the last year my other one has developed a cataract in one eye and the other eye has a abnormal eye ball so he cant see very well - I contacted the breeder and she has not heard of any issues w/ that clutch she had that he came from - he will be 4 here in a week or so - I had him in for a check up for the eye thing and as too why he was not eating not losing weight just not eating - I figured it was his eye sight so we did blood work and come to find out he had a liver infection going on - he was put on 2 antibiotics and milk thistle w/ a probiotic - he is still of good weight - I had a recheck of his blood done and all his levels have come down - so hes getting better - he tries to catch his roaches and caught one here the other day - still not eating his salads so I am still force feeding the Critical Care - I dont know if he will go back to eating on his own I still offer him salad on a salad plate instead of a bowl and he drinks water off his salad plate that I spray on his head and it drips onto the plate - he moves around his tank I have recently had to lower his UVB in his tank as he quit climbing on his rock to get to the correct distance for the rays so it now sits about 12 inches above him from the floor - - I am going to have you go to a website for breed information and questions that you have about morphs etc and see if we can get someone on there to help you -- www.beardeddragon.org ---
Thank you.

Latest posts