• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

He stopped eating his greens!

Hmcginn11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Recently changed my bearded dragons from a 40gal to 75 to give him more room! Ever since then(a couple of weeks ago he has stopped eating his daily salad) Was eating great before. Still eats insects like normal when offered 2-3 times a week. He has a bio active tank with some planted edibles and I have noticed he has been eating a bit of those, they were also in his smaller tank. I have made him a vet appointment because now I feel like he is getting dehydrated. Any thoughts on why he stopped eating greens? Offered lots of new varieties of greens and his favorites too. . His basking spot I measured this am was 110 and I changed his uvb bulb like just two months ago.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Recently changed my bearded dragons from a 40gal to 75 to give him more room! Ever since then(a couple of weeks ago he has stopped eating his daily salad) Was eating great before. Still eats insects like normal when offered 2-3 times a week. He has a bio active tank with some planted edibles and I have noticed he has been eating a bit of those, they were also in his smaller tank. I have made him a vet appointment because now I feel like he is getting dehydrated. Any thoughts on why he stopped eating greens? Offered lots of new varieties of greens and his favorites too. . His basking spot I measured this am was 110 and I changed his uvb bulb like just two months ago.
Where is the UVB? In the tank or on top of screen? Is it a long tube fixture? or a coil? Hes going thru relocation stress --- keep offering the salads and if hes over 6 months of age I would drop your surface basking temp down to 95-100 most older dragons do not like real hot temps- make sure your getting that temp w/ a digital probe thermometer --- start dropping water on his nose or put him in the bath to see if he will drink - rinse the greens before serving please - watch his poops they should be moist dark and formed urate white moist and formed - if they are dried out or chalky looking hes dehydrated --- DO NOT let the vet do a enema!!!!!!!!!! They often end in disaster

Hmcginn11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the UVB? In the tank or on top of screen? Is it a long tube fixture? or a coil? Hes going thru relocation stress --- keep offering the salads and if hes over 6 months of age I would drop your surface basking temp down to 95-100 most older dragons do not like real hot temps- make sure your getting that temp w/ a digital probe thermometer --- start dropping water on his nose or put him in the bath to see if he will drink - rinse the greens before serving please - watch his poops they should be moist dark and formed urate white moist and formed - if they are dried out or chalky looking hes dehydrated --- DO NOT let the vet do a enema!!!!!!!!!! They often end in disaster
Thanks for your reply Sadie! It is a coil bulb uvb on top of the screen. Should I buy a long tube one? Maybe it’s not enough for the bigger tank? I have been dropping water on his nose and he will drink it then.. Doesn’t really drink in the bath- he never has. We have had him about 7 months now. Okay I saw his poop earlier and it was actually a bit runny. I won’t let the vet do an enema!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your reply Sadie! It is a coil bulb uvb on top of the screen. Should I buy a long tube one? Maybe it’s not enough for the bigger tank? I have been dropping water on his nose and he will drink it then.. Doesn’t really drink in the bath- he never has. We have had him about 7 months now. Okay I saw his poop earlier and it was actually a bit runny. I won’t let the vet do an enema!
Please get rid of the coil immediately ---- you want a long tube fixture - coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues --- glad you caught this early ----- I am going to post 3 UVB's pick one it will need to go inside the tank for a 75 gallon you want a 24" fixture
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
this will come w/a 5.0 bulb good for tanks 30 and smaller - you will need this bulb for the 75 gallon
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 change this bulb out in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months
or this one found at Pet Smart if you have one -- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above for this fixture
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
when you get the UVB it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- if you need help post back on here

Hmcginn11

Bearded Dragon Egg
I
Please get rid of the coil immediately ---- you want a long tube fixture - coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues --- glad you caught this early ----- I am going to post 3 UVB's pick one it will need to go inside the tank for a 75 gallon you want a 24" fixture
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
this will come w/a 5.0 bulb good for tanks 30 and smaller - you will need this bulb for the 75 gallon
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 change this bulb out in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months
or this one found at Pet Smart if you have one -- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above for this fixture
you want the 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
when you get the UVB it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- if you need help post back on here
ok thank you for all your help! So it can’t rest on top of the screen, it needs to go directly in the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I

ok thank you for all your help! So it can’t rest on top of the screen, it needs to go directly in the tank?
If the tank is 24 inches high it needs to go inside the tank -- I would recommend it - anything 16 " for height is good for a T 8 - T5's are too strong for that low of height---

Latest posts