• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

having an issue with temps

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
ive tried the halogen flood and clear 150 w bulbs, but the temp doesnt get up much passed 100. is it just a matter of distance? are we sure he wont burn himself? the cool side stays at 80. and my house doesnt ever get below 72 anyways.my enclosure is 12" wide, 4ft long and 23ish deep. i bought some sandstone pieces and built a hill for him and the bulb is about 6" from him. i have a strip lite uvb on the other half of the tank. thanks for any info. hope to learn and participate.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where and with what type of thermometer are you measuring your temps. You're UVB strip light and the basking bulb should both be on the same side covering the basking spot. Posting pics of your setup, showing your lighting orientation in comparison to the rest of the enclosure will greatly help to see any underlying issues. It sounds really strange that you are not getting higher readings at only 6 inches away from a halogen bulb. Welcome to the forum.

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
here is my enclosure. on the right side , the smaller lampholder is a 95w halogen flood. on the left side is the uvb strip light. im using a digital thermometer on the right side. the p[robe for the thermomerter is set in ther middle of the tank, in the open by the rocks. he does bask all day on the right side and at night goes to the other side to sleep. its 80 degrees there. the basking side is always at 88-93 ish. i even hung a 150 clear bulb in the far right corner, but got no increase in temp so i turned it off, afraid he would burn himself.

2013-06-07 15.35.59.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Your UV and Basking Light should both be positioned over the basking spot. Your dragon will spend most of his time there so it will help him get the UV he needs better. Here is a diagram of what I am saying. Can be done one either side of the tank.
Light.jpg

Your thermometer probe is also not placed correct and needs to be attached DIRECTLY to the basking spot. I use zip ties on ours. That will give you the right reading for your basking spot which is what you need.
The way you have it now you are reading the wrong area's temp.
Hope that helps:)
Enjoy

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please check the guides on your thermometer. There are several out there that unfortunately state that they do not measure above certain temps. I have to place my probe on the basking area and leave it there for several minutes to get an accurate reading. It will say 93 or so to start but after about 5 mins its up to 113.

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok sheeesh. i placed the probe right where he sits. it read 97-89. so i took my outdoor thermometer and put it there and it was 89. i even bought a new 150 w flood bulb and reflector today at home depot.. i have a mesh screen top and the probe is about 8" from the light. the digital thermometer was bought at petco in the lizard section. so what gives? lol. btw, he is still eating etc.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Post a couple of good pics of your setup. Be sure to include shots of your lighting placement and your thermometer probe placement and it may help us to help you get thing solved:)
Enjoy!
edit:The pic you posted earlier is too far to see and the lighting is cut out of the pic.

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok here is the lighting end. you can see how far the probe is from the light. the white wire. he sits in that exact spot every day. above him is the strip lite uvb and the spot flood 150w. should i just make his basking log higher?

2013-06-08 18.35.44.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would also place the probe exactly where he sits. The way you have it it is suspended and that could effect the read by a little. Also looks in the pic as if the center of the basking light is shining down to the left of the probe which could also effect the read.
Center the light directly over where he sit and attach the probe directly where he sits and see what you get.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would move the driftwood or heat bulb so it is centered under the basking bulb, place the sensor on the top of the driftwood at the closest point to the heat bulb, which should be the hottest point in the enclosure. Then just let it choose where it wants to sit. Once the proper options are provided, it knows better than we do what it needs & where it is comfy at any given time.

What are your ambient room temps?

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
yay it worked! i moved the log up 4" and the temp got up to 105.7. prolly still going but i turned it off cus he is sleeping. the probe is tied to the log and is right where he sits daily.(second pic). thanks folks! i really like this little guy. i gave up saltwater fish because they were VERY hard to maintain and quite expensive! so i have many extra tanks.

prwhite55

Bearded Dragon Egg
he does go where he wants in the morning and evening. temps are fine now. this is gonna be fun!

Latest posts