• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling my Dragon

oliver

Bearded Dragon Egg
I suppose this isnt very 'health' related. but my dragon is 10 years old. I'm now 20 so i've had him since i was 10. At that age he was my 4th reptile and I was knew very much about them for my age. I saw him bite my dad and that gave me a terrible fear of then picking him up (remember i was only 10).

Now I realize how stupid that was and would love to handle him, but simply am not sure if its too late?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Are you saying in 10 years you have not picked him up at all?

All you can do is try to pick him up and see what he does. Go slow and talk gentle. Do not pick him up from the top. Go in from the side or the bottom of his mouth with your palm up, like you would do if you are wanting to pet a dog that doesn't know you. If he opens his mouth be prepared with some greens and stick some in his mouth. You will have to repeat this a few times and eventually he will get it and he will get sick of eating greens. Lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree, I would try all of that out. I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as "too late." Time and lots of patience will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliver

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you saying in 10 years you have not picked him up at all?

All you can do is try to pick him up and see what he does. Go slow and talk gentle. Do not pick him up from the top. Go in from the side or the bottom of his mouth with your palm up, like you would do if you are wanting to pet a dog that doesn't know you. If he opens his mouth be prepared with some greens and stick some in his mouth. You will have to repeat this a few times and eventually he will get it and he will get sick of eating greens. Lol
thank you so much, and no i havnt, i never had a problem handling other reptiles but i just had this stupid irrational fear with him. I'm honestly a little embarrassed to admit that, but hopefully I can change that soon.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
thank you so much, and no i havnt, i never had a problem handling other reptiles but i just had this stupid irrational fear with him. I'm honestly a little embarrassed to admit that, but hopefully I can change that soon.

Your welcome, Just take your time and go slow. It might take a few days or weeks and that's okay. He will gain your trust. He already knows you and your smell which is a good start.

Start by putting your hand in as you talk softly to him. If you have fear he will feel that. You have to make sure you are ready for this. He won't hurt you. Yes a bite will hurt but not that bad. It's not like he will cut your finger off or anything like that. Lol

Good luck and keep us posted!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh this makes me sad for both you and him. Just go slow with him and like mxw0rld said, slowly scoop him up from underneath his front legs while supporting his tail and back legs with the other hand. Never reach overhead that will scare him. It's never too late to try and do it now while you still have the chance with him. Beardies are really rewarding to interact with, they have so much personality. you will be happy that you made an attempt.

Latest posts