• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

handling a baby dragon...

Lindsy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've only had my bearded dragon (Carl) for about 2 wks now. He is around 3 mo old. I was wondering how long it usually takes for them to get used to people. He is very jumpy anytime I try to tough him and nearly imposable to pick up. He even gets a little aggressive trying to bite at me when I get close. It makes cleaning his cage difficult. I don't want to stress him out by handling him too much and I know it will take awhile for him to get used to us but was just wandering how long. Any suggestions on how to help me get him acclimated would be appreciated.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lindsy; All beardies are different; I would not try to handle too much until he relaxes. At this stage he is still getting settled in his house then all of a sudden a stranger enters[ oh well something intruding in my house.] When he settles and trusts you clean him as normal without touching and show no fear[if he bites it won't hurt too much] ha ha. when he trusts you just stroke him and put your hand under his tummy with out picking him up and if he allows that take out your hand and continue when he allows.hope this helps you some -river-7

MisterWhiskers

Bearded Dragon Egg
I hear it's good to just put your hand in his cage for a spell a few times a day until he gets used to you. Then you can pick him up close to the ground and wait 'till be gets used to you doing that. Then you can take him out of his cage (not long at first!). This should help.
All beardies are different. My Whiskers was very tame but my brothers beard Steve is more skittish. It's possible that your bea ride just won't like to be held.
I hope I helped!;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try handling him for a few minutes and petting him at night right before his lights go out. His guard will be down because he is sleepy. Also remember when you pick him up to scoop your hand under the front part of his body and with the other hand support his tail and back feet. They have a "3rd eye" on top of their head and when you put your hand over them they see that as a predator.

sapphira80

Bearded Dragon Egg
In my experience, baby bearded dragons are always more skittish and jumpy. It's not anything you're doing wrong, it's just their instinct to jump and run and hide because most baby beardies get eaten in the wild (out of a clutch, one or maybe two will survive into adulthood).

As he gets older, he will become more calm and sedentary, like my Loki and Segyn, who plop in their basking spots most of the day.

Until then, just do "trust exercises" like putting your hand in the tank, holding him for a minute or two, petting him gently. It's also a good idea to give him a food treat (like a raspberry or worm, whatever is his favorite) after you hold him so he begins to associate good things with being held.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts