• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from France

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, i'm not very good with introductions, but let's give it a try.

Some friends of mine are snakes keepers and these animals are pretty interesting and I have discovered the "reptile world" trought them but I wanted something else, something with a more complex behavior, this is where I started to have some kind of interest in lizards. As a newbie I wanted something "easy" to keep, gentle and amazing to watch. Iguanas grow way too big and i don't think that they are appropriate to newbies like me, same with monitors. I first heard of Argentin Tegus as a starter reptile, well known to eat almost everything and to be relatively tame when they get used to, but they are pretty big babies when they're full grown and they need more space than I can offer. So, I went to a few shops and my attention ended up on that funny dinosaure-looking lizard: the bearded dragon. I started to collect informations about them, I spent a lot of time in the shop to watch them and in late november I finally signed an order for a fully equiped enclosure and two females. I got them since late December, and it's a lot of fun, I try to take care of them as much as possible and I'm here to learn a little bit more about them.

My dragons:
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-forum/beardie-pictures/two-females-from-france/

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to our forum. Nice intro! And great looking reptiles. ;)

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bonjour et Bien venue at notre forum. I like your Vivarium but why the red light? Those are believed to be hard on the beardies eyesight. Oh and will you be seperating them in each their own cage? They are nomadic creature and one will eventually seriously harm the another.

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why red lights could be hard on their eyesight? they simply can't see the infrared light. I'm currently thinking about the separation option, but being females they are not that agressive towards each other, so it's more like a "wait & see" situation.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies do see the red light and it disturbs thier sleep patterns. Just as people perfer to sleep in the dark so do dragons.

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Certain UVB lights and colored lights can cause eye problems in beardies. Beardies need appropriate UVB light(some lights do not provide enough UVB light for bearded dragons) and proper heat lighting to grow good and strong. Beardies need bright white light,not colored lights. I have used regular household bulbs to heat my vivs and they work fine,you may need to try different wattages to get the correct temps though. As far as keeping dragons together,it is usually not recommended to keep 2 dragons together. Two females can fight over food,UVB,etc........and will stress and fight,male female is a no-no because the male will try to over breed the female,and male -male will fight over territory,food,dominance. There is a great article here on the web site about it.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just want to remind folks... that in the beginning, dragons were indeed kept together.. and it did work. I'd allow this fellow his husbandry... He's no slouch.. let's see how his experiment goes shall we ?
Janie

sgt. amoth

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In fact, i've never seen the lights turned on at night, the room's temperature is pretty good (22-24°c during the nighttime in winter) and the thermocontrol never had to switch it on to give extra heat.
I'm totally aware of the problem that housing multiple dragons can be, I've been warned, I will do whatever is necessary to separate them in case of problem, I always have an eye on them when I'm home, and I have an IP webcam turned on my vivarium when I'm at work. About the Uvb There is a special 10% UVB tube in my enclosure, the red lights are for heating only. Never heard of eye problems with red lights through my researches, do you have any links to share ?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
sgt. amoth said:
In fact, i've never seen the lights turned on at night, the room's temperature is pretty good (22-24°c during the nighttime in winter) and the thermocontrol never had to switch it on to give extra heat.
I'm totally aware of the problem that housing multiple dragons can be, I've been warned, I will do whatever is necessary to separate them in case of problem, I always have an eye on them when I'm home, and I have a IP webcam on my vivarium when I'm at work. About the Uvb There is a special 10% UVB tube in my enclosure, the red lights are for heating only. Never heard of eye problems with red lights through my researches, do you have any links to share ?

Red lights "may" disturb sleep patterns but not always. The red can be sensed through the pineal "eye". If the dragons do not sleep in the open and are not affected by it then there's no worries. The statement of not using them is more towards a precautionary measure. I myself give out that advise, but i don't always practice what i preach ;) in aspects of my husbandry.

Mate you seem to be quite diligent in your record keeping as well as a great observer of behaviour just monitor them closely and change whatever is needed when necessary. Remember we are always here to help where we can.

Latest posts