• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greened Crickets

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I gave the crix a few leaves of greens last night. They looked fine this morning. This evening about 1/8 to 1/4 are dead. Should I eliminate these and get some more? Yes the greens are washed both by the store and myself. They are the same greens that Magma has been eating.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ric said:
I gave the crix a few leaves of greens last night. They looked fine this morning. This evening about 1/8 to 1/4 are dead. Should I eliminate these and get some more? Yes the greens are washed both by the store and myself. They are the same greens that Magma has been eating.

Where'd you get your crickets? There's a virus going around in a lot of crickets right now. One of the symptoms is fast die-offs.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Yeah, it's possible they have the virus, then.

That is going to depend on how old the crix were.

Are these adult crickets? The virus kills crickets in their last stage of life (adulthood).

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They arent black yet and are about 1/4- 1/2 inch at best.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ric said:
They arent black yet and are about 1/4- 1/2 inch at best.

Than it should'nt be the virus. Had you recently cleaned out the cage or used any types of chemicals near the tank? Did you wash the greens prior to putting it in? Do you know what the temperature in the room/container is? What were you feeding besides the greens?

It is possible they were on their last leg when you got them I would contact the pet store you purchased from and ask about the rest they had. Could have been a problem shipment.

Personally I suggest purchasing online I have never had a issue with Ghann's

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Nope no cleaners near them.
yes I washed the greens.
78-80
Flukers calcium water cubes and the orange cricket cubes

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have enough egg crates and/or empty paper towel rolls in there so they don't crush each other? Do you have enough ventilation in the bin you keep them in?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Craiger said:
Yeah, it's possible they have the virus, then.

That is going to depend on how old the crix were.

Are these adult crickets? The virus kills crickets in their last stage of life (adulthood).

Thanks Brian! Learned something new today.

Latest posts