• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Great...now its afraid of me :(

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I went to play with my baby beardie again tonight and its suddenly afraid of me! it was darting from my hand, I finally picked it up held it somewhat firmly but not painful or anything, just to keep it in my hand, then patted its back, talked to it and set it back down. I then pat it again while it was sitting on its rock, its def afraid of me now more than it has been in the past couple of days, it was breathing so heavy...did I do something wrong? do I just keep handling it through its fear? I dont want to it to fear me :( Ive been very gentle and when I do have to hold it firmly so he doesnt leap to his death I just put firm but gentle preasure on its shoulder blades/neck with my thumb. He sometimes squirms but I promise im being gentle. Should I leave it be for a couple of days and just pat it, or should I just keep doing what im doing? He was fine with being handled yesterday and earlier today, but tonight he just decided hes not a fan...any thoughts?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm sure he doessn't hate yo or anything :) How long have you had him?
My little guy gets the same way, usually it's becaause either Max (Jack Russell pup) or Sara (4 year old) have been hanging off his enclosure and playing the loud barking game. He will get used to his enviroment and you. He may be ready to shed, when this happens, sometimes they go real strange but it passes. I would probably give him a day or two of just talking to him and then start with a little hold in the enclosure and work it from there. Just take your time, make sure you are comfortable becaause like many other animals, l believe they smell fear and they react to you. Let us know how you go.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It probably wouldn't hurt 2 leave him in his enclosure 4 a couple of days to observe u & get used 2 his new surroundings. Don't worry about your dragon being skittish, it's in their DNA & if babies didn't act this way, they wouldn't survive in the wild. After a few days you should try to get him out of his enclosure regularly to develop somewhat of a routine & bond.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you both for your advice...I havent picked him up today but did pat it a few times this morning, it didnt run away...I was relieved, I will off holding it for a few days. Thank you!

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
mine did that after i took out his log until we put it back in then he didnt bite me anymore.
and btwhow much will it hurt if they bite you when their fully grown?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well l imagine, if they bite for real, and not just a little love kiss, it would be very painful. I know if an adult bluetongue bites (for real) it can actually break your finger. I assume a beardie wouldn't be much different

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you both for your advice...I havent picked him up today but did pat it a few times this morning, it didnt run away...I was relieved, I will off holding it for a few days. Thank you!
Have things gotten any better with your dragons behavior? Have u 2 gotten used 2 eachother yet?

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey Jeffo, things have gotten interesting lol. He isnt very loving and doesnt enjoy pats, but he has begun to climb into my hand everyday just for his collard, then once he realized where he is he gets nervous and hops off my hand and chases crickets...I think hes a little stuck in the middle, one part of him is getting brave and bold and the other part is still terrified. I did get my first hiss and bite today lol, but i didnt even feel the bite it was very minor prob cuz hes so small, but I didnt budge my hand sat right there and he gave up pretty quickly.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like the little one is starting 2 warm up 2 u. My youngest dragon (6 months) is still skittish from time 2 time but loves the attention & being out of her enclosure. Once it learns that u aren't a threat u might have a little snuggler on your hands. Glad 2 hear that things are progressing :)

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well l imagine, if they bite for real, and not just a little love kiss, it would be very painful. I know if an adult bluetongue bites (for real) it can actually break your finger. I assume a beardie wouldn't be much different

i just learned they can only rip off flesh

Latest posts