• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid Bearded Dragon

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
I have a three year old, gravid bearded dragon (her name is Scully), of whom will not eat. She is very picky when it comes to food, and, honestly, is only interested in insects. I know that an adult bearded dragon's diet must consist mainly of greens, so I must force feed her (I do not hurt her in any way when doing so). Since she is pregnant, she should have an increase in appetite, right? Scully will not eat the greens I present her with, and it makes me quite concerned. I feed her crickets sprinkled with calcium, vitamins, and probiotics about three times a week to keep her healthy. Should I be worried if my gravid dragon will not eat her greens? How do I combat her pickiness?

Thank you,
Forrest

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have a three year old, gravid bearded dragon (her name is Scully), of whom will not eat. She is very picky when it comes to food, and, honestly, is only interested in insects. I know that an adult bearded dragon's diet must consist mainly of greens, so I must force feed her (I do not hurt her in any way when doing so). Since she is pregnant, she should have an increase in appetite, right? Scully will not eat the greens I present her with, and it makes me quite concerned. I feed her crickets sprinkled with calcium, vitamins, and probiotics about three times a week to keep her healthy. Should I be worried if my gravid dragon will not eat her greens? How do I combat her pickiness?

Thank you,
Forrest
How long has she been gravid? Does she have a dig box yet? Usually they’ll reject food a couple days to a week before laying… And no not getting veggies isnt gonna kill her, if the bugs she can get are gut loaded with the veggies she would normally eat then she should be fine, ive tried everything to get mine to eat veggies, shes almost 2 and will eat one bite of veggies (maybe) a week , its not ideal but shes very healthy and gets a variety of bugs too, if u haven’t already get an anti escape bowl and put bugs in with the veggies, dust the veg with bee pollen , spray apple juice of the salad, ive had no luck getting my girl to eat veggies regularly and many do too, dont feel bad about it, what’s important for females is their calcium intake (in my opinion they need a tad more than boys) especially when making eggs, any extra calcium will come out in her urate, if u notice it getting hard and chalky then she’s getting plenty calcium and rear it back a little.

Forrest T.

Hatchling Dragon
How long has she been gravid? Does she have a dig box yet? Usually they’ll reject food a couple days to a week before laying… And no not getting veggies isnt gonna kill her, if the bugs she can get are gut loaded with the veggies she would normally eat then she should be fine, ive tried everything to get mine to eat veggies, shes almost 2 and will eat one bite of veggies (maybe) a week , its not ideal but shes very healthy and gets a variety of bugs too, if u haven’t already get an anti escape bowl and put bugs in with the veggies, dust the veg with bee pollen , spray apple juice of the salad, ive had no luck getting my girl to eat veggies regularly and many do too, dont feel bad about it, what’s important for females is their calcium intake (in my opinion they need a tad more than boys) especially when making eggs, any extra calcium will come out in her urate, if u notice it getting hard and chalky then she’s getting plenty calcium and rear it back a little.
She has been gravid for about one week now. Thank you for your reply. I will attempt the things you have mentioned.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She has been gravid for about one week now. Thank you for your reply. I will attempt the things you have mentioned.
They can choose to deposit the eggs whenever and wherever, so she may not even use a dig box (and you may want to start a den for her in the substrate so its easier and she’s understanding what’s happening , thatd be best) and she can pop out eggs for a month straight, so just watch her for any discomfort, black bearding etc, if she doesn’t want food its okay , but do give her water everyday if you can.

Latest posts