• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grashoppers OR Crickets?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Locusts/grasshoppers are higher in protein. I guess it would depend on what else you're feeding your dragon.

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
Currently, her dish consists of:
-squash,
-dry cricket from fluke,
-few dry mealworms,
-Apple
-Moist crickets (but it finished)
-pear
-dusted vitamins and
-dusted calcium over her food

in ONE dish. :p

sometimes i put in carrots but squash is much better for her.

i only fed her Jumbo sized grasshopper that i got from America which i cut into pieces since they were huge. (but apparently i forgot it somewhere)

no lettuce whatsoever.

trying to add more vegetable for her BUT i dont know how exactly mustard green looks like(many veggies look the same. Google wont help) or what it is called in my language(google translate translates formal language which is different than my language..) so im affraid that i'll get the wrong veggy and poison her or not give her the nutrition that she i'm expecting or something.

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
This is what Mustard greens look like...

mustard-greens.jpg

These are Collard Greens..
i-collardgreens.jpg

These are Dandelion Greens..
dandelion-greens-480.jpg

All make great a great base to a beardie Salad.

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know much about Locusts. It's not commonly fed here in the States (that I am aware of) I prefer to give feeders that have a high CA / PH ratio. Especially for a growing baby.

Good feeders with high CA/PH ratio are as follows:

Phoenix worm (highest amount of CA)
images

-Store for up to a month in container (longer if kept cool at 50 degrees F) with little to no care
-Don't smell
-Low in fat- can be fed as a staple
-High in CA. More than any other feeder. Great for gravid females and reptiles recovering from MBD as well as growing babies.
-Small in size. Great for babies, but adults like them too.

Tip: For beardies that don't like their greens take about a dozen or two (depending on the size of the animal) and put them on top of the greens. Soon your lizard will be munching his greens down along with these little critters! It also helps to cut the vegetable matter finely.

Silkworms
images

-come in all sizes from 1/2 inch all the way up to 2-3 inches for adults
-Do not smell
-High in CA
-Need to be fed the leaf of the Mulberry Tree or Mulberry chow, but can go a week without food.
-more filling (due to their larger size)

TIP: Some sellers include for extra cost a container (pod) that has food to last them a week. You should be able to keep them a couple weeks in there. Can also be placed in salad to entice picky eaters to eat their greens.

Dubia (may be a pest if you live in a tropical area) but here in North America it's too cold for them to reproduce.
images

-come in all sizes from 1/8 inch to 2 inch adult (good for all ages of lizards)
-Do not smell
-Simular care as to crickets.
-Very high meat content. I think one of these guys is equivalent to 4 crickets the same size as far as nutrition.
-Can't jump/ get away easily. Cannot climb glass or smooth plastic.
-If given a heat source and time a colony can reproduce enough babies to feed your lizard for a lifetime. Save lots of $$ on live food.
-Can be fed as a staple.

So these are all good staples to feed your Lizard. You can also mix in other items for variety if you wish, but stay away from mealworms and superworms. I also don't recommend Crickets either since their has been reports of them harvesting pin worm lately.

Just remember variety is key. If you give them a mix of everything then they will be better for it. This stands true for the greens as well.

Jeff

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
What is the difference between the nutrition from the live crickets, moist crickets and dry crickets?

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
But werent they previously Gut loaded before dryed or moistened?

Attachments

• IMG_00000662.jpg
    IMG_00000662.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
Wahhh thanks for telling me! Might have to start my own colony, any tip for a beginner or a link?

Latest posts