• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got my 1st baby today

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have spent 4 Weeks setting up his new home hope i hope did it right. Basking side is at about 98 to 100 at top of the rock. Middle is about 86 and cool side about 84. 2 UV A&B lights 1 dome bulb and one long florescent type. 3 digital thermostat/hydro gauges hot side, middle, and cool side. I have had him about 6 hours he has eaten 4 baby crickets, 3 meal worms. and 2 pieces of his vegetables is that normal?

Now for my newbie questions

Are temps OK
how long should i leave the vegetables in there
I held him putting him his tank he seemed fine with it how long before i can take him out to bond
The humidity seems low 10 on hot side next to the hottest basking spot and 18 on the cool side

I am sure i will have more but in advance thanks all suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• baby3.jpg
    baby3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • baby4.jpg
    baby4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • baby5.jpg
    baby5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Congrats on the beardie!
It's normal for them not to eat a lot for the first few days since the transition is quite stressful. Leave the veggies on the cool side for 1-3 hours. The basking temps could be raised a few degrees.
Avoid feeding him mealworms until he's an adult. They can cause impaction that can be fatal for babies (especially if it requires surgery to fix and if it makes him stop eating) and don't have much nutritional value.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have spent 4 Weeks setting up his new home hope i hope did it right. Basking side is at about 98 to 100 at top of the rock. Middle is about 86 and cool side about 84. 2 UV A&B lights 1 dome bulb and one long florescent type. 3 digital thermostat/hydro gauges hot side, middle, and cool side. I have had him about 6 hours he has eaten 4 baby crickets, 3 meal worms. and 2 pieces of his vegetables is that normal?

Now for my newbie questions

Are temps OK
how long should i leave the vegetables in there
I held him putting him his tank he seemed fine with it how long before i can take him out to bond
The humidity seems low 10 on hot side next to the hottest basking spot and 18 on the cool side

I am sure i will have more but in advance thanks all suggestions welcome.
If the temps are being taken w/ stick on they are inaccurate and you need actual basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- place the probe on the place where he sits for basking 10 minutes or so then get the temp -- you want the temp to be 105-110 for a baby---the UVB is a T 5? If so what does the screen look like is it a wide hole screen or a fine mesh screen ? If its a fine mesh like a screen door its going to need to go into the tank - the screen blocks 30% of the rays -- I can help w/ getting into the tank if need be --- the humidity is a little low on the cool side of the tank the hot side I expect it to be low -- I would take one of those hygrometers and place it in the middle back wall of the tank - read it in the morning before lights on -- it should be higher at nite -- ranges run from 30-40% normally but can be higher at night-- you do not want it higher than 70% and 10% is pretty low --- in order to get it up you can place a wet towel in the tank or a water dish --- place that on the hot side of the tank --

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If the temps are being taken w/ stick on they are inaccurate and you need actual basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer--- place the probe on the place where he sits for basking 10 minutes or so then get the temp -- you want the temp to be 105-110 for a baby---the UVB is a T 5? If so what does the screen look like is it a wide hole screen or a fine mesh screen ? If its a fine mesh like a screen door its going to need to go into the tank - the screen blocks 30% of the rays -- I can help w/ getting into the tank if need be --- the humidity is a little low on the cool side of the tank the hot side I expect it to be low -- I would take one of those hygrometers and place it in the middle back wall of the tank - read it in the morning before lights on -- it should be higher at nite -- ranges run from 30-40% normally but can be higher at night-- you do not want it higher than 70% and 10% is pretty low --- in order to get it up you can place a wet towel in the tank or a water dish --- place that on the hot side of the tank --
Thank you for your response i have spent the last 2 hours moving the basking light around after moving the digital probe to the basking area.I have achived a constant 105 degree temp. Thank you .

The mess top is not very tight and i just added the Dome UV A&B light after realizing i did not need a night time warming light since the tank never goes below 73 degrees over night.

The humidity is still a concern i have a water bowl in there but it still seems low my house is only like 30 to 40 normally. I did mist a few time but it is short term.

I know it is only day 1 but as with all my animals and kids i want to make sure i am on the right track.

Thanks for all your help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response i have spent the last 2 hours moving the basking light around after moving the digital probe to the basking area.I have achived a constant 105 degree temp. Thank you .

The mess top is not very tight and i just added the Dome UV A&B light after realizing i did not need a night time warming light since the tank never goes below 73 degrees over night.

The humidity is still a concern i have a water bowl in there but it still seems low my house is only like 30 to 40 normally. I did mist a few time but it is short term.

I know it is only day 1 but as with all my animals and kids i want to make sure i am on the right track.

Thanks for all your help.
You need your T 5 in the tank if it's the fine not sure what you mean by not very tight can you post a pic of it please then I can let you know placement and distance

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hope I'm not anoying you but here it is

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok you can have it on top but make sure your basking decor is directly underneath- distance needs to be 8-10 inches
Thank you again

Right now like i said i have 2 but but i will move the Dome 1 over the basking area.

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You only need the T 5 and a good bright white basking bulb for lights- no colored bulbs and no coil bulbs either--
Then i am good to go thanks again for all your help. He has been active for the last 30 minutes checking out his new home and keeps trying to climb the background bushes.

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Then i am good to go thanks again for all your help. He has been active for the last 30 minutes checking out his new home and keeps trying to climb the background bushes.
I'm glad my beardie isn't the only one who does that!! Cracks me up! Welcome to the Herp Enthusiast community :) I'm new too so all this info is super helpful. Thank you everyone.

Latest posts