• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going BioActive

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
So I was reading a post http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/11152/ here about bioactive substrate.....I'm intrigued to say the least.....I think it would be cool to contain multiple life forms in one environment. Even talking about it has interested a buddy of mine to purchase a beardie (after caring for Yoshi for about 2 weeks).

I've been doing research and I've found that I'll need cleaner crews....my question is as follows: there is a local soil depot in my area that sells organic soils they have 2 products I'm interested in....
d25899a9994ef1af3d2ff61c4628e0cf.jpg
(bottom two options). Would either of these 2 work? Sounds like they've done the work of mixing the soil sand and most microorganisms I'll need. Do I still need to mix in the additives, or am I good out of the bag. Do I still need to purchase isopods and springtails? I know I'll need night crawlers but I'm just trying to fill in the gaps in my understanding

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cant help ya. Since Jarich first posted about bio active substrate i've thought it was a great idea, but, havent gotten around to doing anything WITH that idea !! Keep us posted and let us know how ya get on !!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Same here wish I could offer any info but I have none.. I hope someone on here posts to help you and keep us posted so we all can learn!!

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
So I've just purchased everything, gonna go ahead and put the tank together, I know it says I should give it a week to kick start but I don't have a spare tank . the only thing I'm waiting on is the isopods and springtails. Which I'm probably gonna order wen I get home in am hour or so not sure wat sight is the best I've come across josh's frogs and one other so I'll look up some reviews

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've got from Josh frogs when I started dart frogs. I highly recommend them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, I order things from Josh's all the time. Good company.

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
OK so I need help with temps....ambient temps I'm getting about i
80° in the coool 75° in the warm and abt 90° in the general basking area.....currently I have a 100w powersun basking bulb, a t8 tub uvb bulb (can't remember brand right now) , a 75w indoor flood light (for ambient light), and a coil style uvb bulb in my cool end (not sure of brand or wattage) problem is, dirt is an insulator and as we know if its cool out the soil is cool.....well at night my house gets to mid 70s high to mid 60s....._that makes the soil in my viv go down to abt 68° but its hard as hell to heat up with my setup.....what could I do?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like you have way too much UVB in there. You're UVB should cover 2/3'rds of your tank and you should have hides for them to get away from the "sun". All of the lights you mentioned are UVB lights. You could really get rid of the Powersun and get a 100w halogen flood lamp for heat. Get rid of the coil UVB It doesn't do you any good.

What are you using to measure the temps? Your tank looks short so there's no reason why with those high wattage bulbs that you aren't getting higher than 90degrees in your basking spot.

Oh and how old is your beardie? Adult beardies only need their basking temps to get 95-100 degrees.

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds like you have way too much UVB in there. You're UVB should cover 2/3'rds of your tank and you should have hides for them to get away from the "sun". All of the lights you mentioned are UVB lights. You could really get rid of the Powersun and get a 100w halogen flood lamp for heat. Get rid of the coil UVB It doesn't do you any good.

What are you using to measure the temps? Your tank looks short so there's no reason why with those high wattage bulbs that you aren't getting higher than 90degrees in your basking spot.

Oh and how old is your beardie? Adult beardies only need their basking temps to get 95-100 degrees.
Its a 20 gallon long....i didn't know you could have too much uvb I looked but couldn't find much on it.....any who I've ditched the coil and looking into halogen....could I get a halogen bulb from Lowes or should I use a turtle bulb?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can get just a regular halogen flood lamp from Lowes it's cheaper

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
You can get just a regular halogen flood lamp from Lowes it's cheaper
Does it make a difference if its a spiral type bulb like the energy efficient bulbs.....lady told me to get a par38 bulb but its a spiral type and it isn't giving off much heat

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The spiral bulbs don't really give off heat you want just a regular halogen bulb. c21d3870-ac3d-444c-85e2-aadbe1114b25_400.jpg

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
The spiral bulbs don't really give off heat you want just a regular halogen bulb. View attachment 13864
Yea I just grabbed the highest wattage I could find (or so I thought.....the bulb I got was a 90watt replacement turned out to be only 24watts lol) I'll swap it for a regular lamp later this morning....thanks patsy

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looks like a great start! Have you considered getting some leaf litter for the top of the soil? This will help protect the moisture of the soil and also create lots of great microhabitats for the invertebrates.

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
So I got a 75 watt par 38 halogen bulb (supposedly replaces 85-100watt bulb) yesterday swapped it out about an hour b4 lights went out so I'm not too sure if its a solution to my temp problems yet but we'll see in about an hour or so when they come back on.
Looks like a great start! Have you considered getting some leaf litter for the top of the soil? This will help protect the moisture of the soil and also create lots of great microhabitats for the invertebrates.
As far as leaf litter I plan on getting some after I get the invertebrates in the tank.

I've noticed he is a lot more active than on the sand, but doesn't dig like he used to try to in the sand, weird.....

Its also a lot cooler not having to worry abt his food picking up sand so he gets to "hunt" so far 2 supers have managed to escape feeding time and have disappeared somewhere in the soil....I've been watching to see if they re surface but its been about 3 days now.....

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Thanks for chiming in @jarich It's good to see you stopping by for a bit you've been missed :)

@ObiThaGod Jarich is our bioactive guy!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks Patsy! Sorry its been awhile.

Obi, Im guessing you will likely not see those worms again until they are beetles. There are a number of people who use them as part of the clean up crew. I personally dont just because they can really breed like rabbits and become a little aggressive if there isnt food laying around. Ive known some dragons who eat the beetles, while others turn up their noses at them. (The adult beetles give off a bitter liquid when disturbed, so some dont like the taste of them) They do eat wastes though, so up to you!

Can I ask what you are measuring the temps with?

Latest posts