• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass surfing and some other stuff.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
I got a new beardie, she is really sweet. o got a 100x40x40 enclosure (photo attached) I will be changing from the sand to other material either pet carpet or shavings since i know the sand can cause trouble. She eats and has healthy poop, but i got some concerns:

1. Do any of your dragons drink out of a water dish? I didnt see her so i did as i found on the internet which is spraying her head a little, she does drink it like that, but is there any way she can learn? and is it good or bad having a water dish?
2. She keeps "glass surfing" i think it is because she sees her reflection, so i put something that wont make a reflection (paper) on the glass outside, but she still does it. She doesnt change color to black while doing it but im concerned since i know it can stress them and i honestly dont know what else it could be since she has plenty of space and i havent moved in or out any new things.
What other veggies than carrot can i offer her? she does eat it a little bit, but she gets bored of it really fast and doesnt eat it by herself.
3. should i get a tube UVB light or is the light bulb enough? I researched it but im sitll not sure.
4. also she keeps climbing?(photo) im not sure if its just seeing her reflection again or if she wants to go out?
AND she started shedding, any advice?

Attachments

• 119862984_2681247622117369_6708096621539713198_n.jpg
    119862984_2681247622117369_6708096621539713198_n.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 119936724_758383138351345_467974023640700546_n.jpg
    119936724_758383138351345_467974023640700546_n.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 139

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK so first, I am not a bearded expert, but I have kept reptiles and exotics for over 30years.

Water
In the wild they would rarely drink or soak as it were, only the occasional rain. Mine male is 2yrs, 18 months in my care. I have never given him water, spray or dish. You can offer a shallow dish occasionally like a puddle. My personal logic is that too much water for a desert animal can be hard on the internal organs and shorten life.

I have no great advice on the glass surfing. Mine stopped when he became happy in his environment. This may just take some time. Give him some cover like branches or plants to climb on. This may help.

UVB IS ABSOLUTE MUST OR HE WILL DIE. Not to be mean, just a fact. Make sure and get T5HO not T8, go the length of the terrarium. Here is why. They need D3 to process calcium. They get this from sunlight in nature, but we have to use UVB lights to simulate this as best we can. We do supplement, more on this latter, but they need the UVB. By the time we see the malformed legs, and soft jaws caused by MBD (metabolic bone disease) their is already much internal damage shortening the life of your pet.

The climbing is probably just her getting use to her boundaries. Again give her plenty of branches and rocks to climb on. In the wild they don't just sit in the open, they have a safe zone to run to. It is my theory that in captivity, simulating cover and hides helps relax them.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He’s so cute and tiny I remember when my little one was at that age!! Anyways here’s some advice I’ve learned along the way.
1. Not many dragons eat from a water dish, it’s not they’re thing because they are use go dripping water. You can train a beardie to drink from a water bowl one way that I’ve heard that helps is putting 100% apple juice with NO added sugars. Just put a bit of it in with the water and they may start drinking from it and eventually you stop giving them apple juice in the water.
2. The glass surfing is something you should try and figure out. It’s there way of trying to get your attention or let you know something is wrong. They’re beard doesn’t have to go black for this. I remember when my girl did this she was trying to let me know that she was too far away from her uvb light and once I moved her closer she actually stopped glass surfing. Your beardie could be trying to tell you something else, could be heat, uvb, water, at that age they are ravenous eaters so he could be trying to get your attention to feed him or it could be he wants play time.
3. You should get a tube uvb light as it is much healthier for them and could stop his glass surfing. They should be within 8 seconds inches of their uvb lamp if that’s helpful.
4. Bearded dragons naturally love climbing so she’s probably doing it just for fun and getting a higher view or trying to get closer to he basking spot. That’s normal, mine loves to climb from the bottom of my foot to literally the top of my head.
5. I suggest daily baths while he’s in is shedding period. It will keep him hydrated and help ease his shed skin off easier causing him less stress especially since bearded babies go through this basically monthly. It’s basically their version of growing pains.
Hope this was helpful and you’re doing a great job!

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much both! Im trying to get everything, today Im gonna see if any stores will have the UVB i need since shipping from amazon and other sites takes months to my country. I am really glad i posted here, i´ve been super worried about her it made my cry a little, I dont want her to have any issues or even worse die later on...

cosmoni

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with the two above, just wanted to add my own two cents. My girl drinks from her bowl quite often, especially when she hasn't had a bath or a mist. A couple days ago she drank for 5-6 minutes, so you'll have to experience with your beardie's preference. Also if you don't see any health issues with the glass surfing, don't worry too much because it could be relocation stress or even just a need to come outside for a bit. Good luck, I can tell you'll care for her well!

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
For some better mood.
Here She Is few minutes after She woke up. ❤ Her name is Navi btw!

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_070934.jpg
    IMG_20200921_070934.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 122

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Carrot should not be a staple! It's high in sugar. Instead of carrot, you can try squash (yellow and butternut) and bell pepper mixed with mustard or collard greens. My feeding schedule uses carrot once a week :) Experiment with veggies until you find what she likes. She might not be a huge fan of carrots.
Like the others have stated, digital thermometers, a hydrometer, and a tube UVB are essential.

If you want to save money, check for promo codes online and use coupons. If your area has a discount pet store, you can try going there- I pick up all my pet supplies from a discount store, and I've saved hundreds in guinea pig stuff and plan to save over $200 more in beardie supplies. Buying feeders online saves a ton of money in the long run.

If you want to get your beardie to drink from a bowl, make sure you don't get a deep or large bowl (no bigger than medium size). A water dish that is too deep can be dangerous, and larger bowls will make the tank humid.

Lily.arthur.help.needed

Bearded Dragon Egg
I di
I got a new beardie, she is really sweet. o got a 100x40x40 enclosure (photo attached) I will be changing from the sand to other material either pet carpet or shavings since i know the sand can cause trouble. She eats and has healthy poop, but i got some concerns:

1. Do any of your dragons drink out of a water dish? I didnt see her so i did as i found on the internet which is spraying her head a little, she does drink it like that, but is there any way she can learn? and is it good or bad having a water dish?
2. She keeps "glass surfing" i think it is because she sees her reflection, so i put something that wont make a reflection (paper) on the glass outside, but she still does it. She doesnt change color to black while doing it but im concerned since i know it can stress them and i honestly dont know what else it could be since she has plenty of space and i havent moved in or out any new things.
What other veggies than carrot can i offer her? she does eat it a little bit, but she gets bored of it really fast and doesnt eat it by herself.
3. should i get a tube UVB light or is the light bulb enough? I researched it but im sitll not sure.
4. also she keeps climbing?(photo) im not sure if its just seeing her reflection again or if she wants to go out?
I do realise that this only answers one of your questions but please do not only feed your beardie carrots as they are high in sugar. A great everyday veg is kale as it is high in nutrients and very healthy. Some other veg you can feed your beardie are collard greens, mustard greens, green beans, coriander, pepper, squash, dandelion flowers and much much more. You should only feed grapes and other fruits a few times a week. Always make sure to check if you can feed your beardie something before you give it to them as some fruit/veg can be very harmful.
Here is a very helpful link with a long list of food and how often you can feed it to them: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#veg

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys! so to keep you updated, i orderred a pet carpet thats going to be on top of tiles, so when i have to clean the carpet, she still has a something to be on. second i bought the thermometer, i should have it tomorrow so the only thing remaining is the UVB which im taking care of, should be in about a week at max. I started bathing her, took her out more often and let her roam around my room, with supervision of course and she still does glass surf but not as much. I think she was really still getting use to the change, and is doing better now. Thank all of you for the heads up!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Here’s a link to a website for their diet. It goes into a lot of detail and has a huge variety of feeders, veggies and fruits they can have

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Another great way to save cash is to use dollar store plastic bowls for inexpensive (but ugly) hides. Some of their decor can be sanitized and given to beardies-why spend $6 on a plastic skull when you can get one for $1?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hi congrats on your Beardie. YES all Beardies need the long tubular UVB it’s called the Reptisun 10.0 T5 and the length u order on amazon should cover 70 percent of the tank and will also make it light and bright. They need uvb for Vitamin D & breakdown the calcium. I place it beginning on he hot side starting at the back and the ZooMed heat lamp in front of that more towards the front on the hot side. Make sure he basking spot is 100-105. For a baby 105 is best tillhe turns 4mnths or so then they like 100-102 and as adults 95-100z Buy the ZooMed clear basking bulb thats a good one . Never ever use colored bulbs. Place the water dish on the cold side and shake it a bit and place him in front of it. They can’t see still water. Buy RepCal calcium powder dust the crickets and Dubias once per day 5days a week. And use a digital themometer & digital Hygometer those are the only accurate ones to use.

Amy Moran

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello,
We have had 3 beardies and none have ever drunk water from a dish. We either spray them or give them a bath. We have one that will dive under water and drink for a long time and that will do him for a while.
Ours get really "antsy" when they are shedding, that's probably why she's glass surfing and climbing. Giving her a bath will soften the skin and make her more comfortable. She is probably also looking for a cool spot. I used to let ours out of the tank when they did this, and they always found a dark, cool corner to sleep in. We have a dog now so can't do that anymore, but I will turn off their lights to give them a little relief. Normal behavior always returns after shedding.
Ours went through a carrot craze but quickly lost interest. They like blueberries and kale best.
You will need UVB bulbs, I use the reptisun brand.
And yes get rid of that sand asap, we had one die from impaction and it was devastating. He suffered terribly, and it was the calcisand that is supposedly easy to digest. I now use floor tiles.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello,
We have had 3 beardies and none have ever drunk water from a dish. We either spray them or give them a bath. We have one that will dive under water and drink for a long time and that will do him for a while.
Ours get really "antsy" when they are shedding, that's probably why she's glass surfing and climbing. Giving her a bath will soften the skin and make her more comfortable. She is probably also looking for a cool spot. I used to let ours out of the tank when they did this, and they always found a dark, cool corner to sleep in. We have a dog now so can't do that anymore, but I will turn off their lights to give them a little relief. Normal behavior always returns after shedding.
Ours went through a carrot craze but quickly lost interest. They like blueberries and kale best.
You will need UVB bulbs, I use the reptisun brand.
And yes get rid of that sand asap, we had one die from impaction and it was devastating. He suffered terribly, and it was the calcisand that is supposedly easy to digest. I now use floor tiles.
YEs remove the sand ASAP; I forgot to mention that. It’s hirrible for them. Use smooth shelf liner, paper towels or soft white terry cloths u buy a bag from Home Depot

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK so first, I am not a bearded expert, but I have kept reptiles and exotics for over 30years.

Water
In the wild they would rarely drink or soak as it were, only the occasional rain. Mine male is 2yrs, 18 months in my care. I have never given him water, spray or dish. You can offer a shallow dish occasionally like a puddle. My personal logic is that too much water for a desert animal can be hard on the internal organs and shorten life.

I have no great advice on the glass surfing. Mine stopped when he became happy in his environment. This may just take some time. Give him some cover like branches or plants to climb on. This may help.

UVB IS ABSOLUTE MUST OR HE WILL DIE. Not to be mean, just a fact. Make sure and get T5HO not T8, go the length of the terrarium. Here is why. They need D3 to process calcium. They get this from sunlight in nature, but we have to use UVB lights to simulate this as best we can. We do supplement, more on this latter, but they need the UVB. By the time we see the malformed legs, and soft jaws caused by MBD (metabolic bone disease) their is already much internal damage shortening the life of your pet.

The climbing is probably just her getting use to her boundaries. Again give her plenty of branches and rocks to climb on. In the wild they don't just sit in the open, they have a safe zone to run to. It is my theory that in captivity, simulating cover and hides helps relax them.
My beardie will glass surf when he wants taken out of his ViV to have a run around in my sitting room. I usually allow him 30mins run around and put him back in to get warm. Some days he will glase surf 3 to 4 times daily to be out and other days hes quite happy to stay in his viv. I do have different items in his Viv so he can climb on if he wishes. Definatley get rid of the bulb light ASAP. I would not use wood chips as they are uncomfortable for them to walk on and for hygienic reasons. Hope this info helps you.

Attachments

• 20200920_113020.jpg
    20200920_113020.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • 20200911_120557.jpg
    20200911_120557.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64

Lily.arthur.help.needed

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys! so to keep you updated, i orderred a pet carpet thats going to be on top of tiles, so when i have to clean the carpet, she still has a something to be on. second i bought the thermometer, i should have it tomorrow so the only thing remaining is the UVB which im taking care of, should be in about a week at max. I started bathing her, took her out more often and let her roam around my room, with supervision of course and she still does glass surf but not as much. I think she was really still getting use to the change, and is doing better now. Thank all of you for the heads up!
Well done that all sounds great! I also have my beardies tank with tiles and carpet and it is very easy to clean. Well done for doing research and helping your beardie ♡

Latest posts