• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting new cage, question about lighting

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, I am getting a 40 gallon exo terra tank for my dragon. I just have a quick question before i get on with the lighting. If i use the sand as the substrate or just a regular mat. I thought if it was sand it would kind of be like a litter box than i wont have to clean the poop off of the matt lol. So any suggestions are appreciated.

My main question is about how much lighting should i use. I have a strong enough heat bulb but i also use 2 reptisun uvb floro bulbs. Would i need some more uvb light because its not really bright on the uvb side of the cage. It seems like the lights arent strong and they are new. So i was thinking about getting the Zoo Med 160 watt Powersun UVB heat bulbs. This way i wont need a heat lamp anymore i can just use this because it has the heat and uvb in one bulb. Is this too much uvb for her or is it a good idea. I really need some help because i want to make sure she is getting enough uvb. Thanks guys i really need your help on this.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i have 1 2 foot fixture with a repitsun 10.0 uvb bulb and 1 2 foot fixture with a reg florescent bulb inn it on the cool side for added light. just make sure there is uvb light at the basking spot. my enclosure is 4x2x2

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I have Keena in a 40 gallon exo terra and the only thing I can add is that I had to replace the top with an all metal screen top since the top of the screen tops on the exo terras are plastic and could melt. I was terrified of a fire starting. Other than that I love the way the doors open from the front. I don't use sand but I went to Lowes and bought 2/ 17x17 tilesand they cut them to fit with my measurements. Cost me $1.58 for both pieces :) Easy to wipe clean.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I keep Draco in a 40 gallon breeder. For UVB I use a 24'' reptisun 10.0 which I have mounted inside my tank. For the heat light I use a halogen floodlight.

Little Minion

Bearded Dragon Egg
I keep Draco in a 40 gallon breeder. For UVB I use a 24'' reptisun 10.0 which I have mounted inside my tank. For the heat light I use a halogen floodlight.
What watt flood light? And how hot is your basking spot? Also how old is your BD?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Its a 75 watt, but the wattage is going to vary for everyone. My basking spot fluctuates between 108-112. Draco will be 3 months old in 1 week.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
So only using one is necessary to have. I have two reptisun 10.0 and im going to put those in for her so she gets more uvb.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
You only need one using 2 is unnecessary, are you using the tube UVB bulb? I will attach a picture of my tank. The only difference is now I have a stand for the light on top so nothing is touching the screen.

DSCN0145.JPG

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Yes i am using the tube uvb reptisun bulb. I cant fit a light inside my tank right now so i have the lights on top of the cage.
What would be an easy way for me to mount a light inside my tank.

How much light does the metal screen take away?
Thank you a lot for putting the pic up i appreciate it very much.
Also, I was thinking about getting that sand substrate. I see you use a regular mat like me. What route should i take. Thanks again

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I use repticarpet because he's a juvenile. You could also use tile. Sand should not be used until they are 10 inches in length. To mount the UVB light inside your tank you'll need a fixture to fit your bulb which you could get at any hardware store (I picked mine up for $20) then I used hotglue to mount it inside. Using a screen will filter out some UVB rays but you should still only use 1 bulb. You would have to replace the bulb more frequently if its above the screen, like every 6 months vs. a year. If you mount it inside your beardie would get 100% unfiltered rays. Also, if you mount it inside make sure your beardie is no closer than 6 inches to the bulb but no farther than 12.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you very much miss. She is def over a foot long now. Would you use sand if you were me?
I am going to try and mount my light inside today. The screen prolly takes away around 50 percent of the light away. I notice that even with two uvb lights running it dont seem very bright inside her cage with the lights on the top of the screen. Thank you for your help.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
You're welcome! Using sand is all about preference. I'm still not sure if I'll ever use it but if you choose to make sure you use childrens playsand not the sand from petstores.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Why shouldnt I use the sand from the pet store?
Where do I even find childrens play sand lol?
Maybe just using a mat would be better.

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
I forgot to mention, now that I will be putting my light inside the cage, my screen top is in the way of the wire that comes out of the light. So the top will be kinda open because a cord will be coming out of it.
I was thinking of cutting a hole in the screen and feeding the wire through there. Any suggestions

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
You can find playsand at the hardware store.. From what I understamd the sand from the petstore could cause impaction.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
They should have play sand at Lowes or home depot but you must sift through it with a screen until it gets most of the bigger sand pebbles out. I used a screen off of one of my windows in my house, I had an extra lying around but I do not use sand anymore but one day might again.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I don't have any suggestions about cutting the top to put the screen through. The cord is in the way of my screen as well but its pretty much shut even with the cord being in the way so I'm not too worried about it.

Latest posts