• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting my first dragon soon.

Somedudeonhisphone

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well after about 12 years of caring for what I consider easy reptiles (crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, leachies) I've finally decided (and convinced my fiance) to get my first desert dweller.

I'm ready for the challenge and have been preparing for a good bit with research and enclosure setup, and on July 12th of this year I'm going to get my first Beardie from my local expo. Going to start with a young one preferably looking for a Male seeing as I have no interest in breeding.

So as with preparation I have about 2000 or so feeders being shipped to me soon, and I have access to fresh veggies . I have the tank pretty much setup aside from some additional furniture, but the lighting side of things was fun to learn and test. *Still waiting on my IR spot thermo and my thermostat*

Starting with the tank. My plan is to within a month or so buy his adult enclosure a Zen Habitat 4x2x2. However currently I'm starting small it's a 29 which is 30x12x18 and yes I realize the issues with the size of the enclosure and that it will be outgrown withing 2 months or less. That is completely fine, as it is not permanent at all.

I decided to go to as naturalistic as you can with a baby/juvie. All the stone is real found and collected by myself from the local mountains of Allegheny here in Pittsburgh.

In fact the main basking stone contains more than 4 fossils.

I went back and forth with substrate but in the end decided on a tightly woven reptile mat. Along with the main basking rock there are some other outcrop rocks. Totaling just over 50lbs in total. I do plan on adding some sort of aboreal hide/walking area. I'm just still thinking about what I'd like there.

I'm using a digital thermometer to measure the ambient basking them which seems to stick around 99 or so at the top of the rock which is about 8/9 inches from the bulb. Ambient tank seems to be 80 or so.

Also for lighting I'm using the new slim version of the 30" zoo med fixture along with the 24" reptisun 10.0 bulb.

For heat I'm running a standard 100 watt ceramic fixture along with the 100 watt exoterra basking spot bulb.

I'm trying to keep things simple for the moment while the dragons young. By the way I've scrubbed cleaned and heated the rocks they are clean and ready. Also I really need a background or something on the back of this tank my wall is bothering me haha.

I'd love to hear from the community here any tips

20200628_145543.jpg
20200628_145559.jpg
20200628_142742.jpg
20200628_142749.jpg

20200628_145610.jpg
20200628_145620.jpg

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well after about 12 years of caring for what I consider easy reptiles (crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, leachies) I've finally decided (and convinced my fiance) to get my first desert dweller.

I'm ready for the challenge and have been preparing for a good bit with research and enclosure setup, and on July 12th of this year I'm going to get my first Beardie from my local expo. Going to start with a young one preferably looking for a Male seeing as I have no interest in breeding.

So as with preparation I have about 2000 or so feeders being shipped to me soon, and I have access to fresh veggies . I have the tank pretty much setup aside from some additional furniture, but the lighting side of things was fun to learn and test. *Still waiting on my IR spot thermo and my thermostat*

Starting with the tank. My plan is to within a month or so buy his adult enclosure a Zen Habitat 4x2x2. However currently I'm starting small it's a 29 which is 30x12x18 and yes I realize the issues with the size of the enclosure and that it will be outgrown withing 2 months or less. That is completely fine, as it is not permanent at all.

I decided to go to as naturalistic as you can with a baby/juvie. All the stone is real found and collected by myself from the local mountains of Allegheny here in Pittsburgh.

In fact the main basking stone contains more than 4 fossils.

I went back and forth with substrate but in the end decided on a tightly woven reptile mat. Along with the main basking rock there are some other outcrop rocks. Totaling just over 50lbs in total. I do plan on adding some sort of aboreal hide/walking area. I'm just still thinking about what I'd like there.

I'm using a digital thermometer to measure the ambient basking them which seems to stick around 99 or so at the top of the rock which is about 8/9 inches from the bulb. Ambient tank seems to be 80 or so.

Also for lighting I'm using the new slim version of the 30" zoo med fixture along with the 24" reptisun 10.0 bulb.

For heat I'm running a standard 100 watt ceramic fixture along with the 100 watt exoterra basking spot bulb.

I'm trying to keep things simple for the moment while the dragons young. By the way I've scrubbed cleaned and heated the rocks they are clean and ready. Also I really need a background or something on the back of this tank my wall is bothering me haha.

I'd love to hear from the community here any tips

View attachment 22463View attachment 22464View attachment 22465View attachment 22466
View attachment 22467View attachment 22468
Yeah. Add a place for him to hide and something to climb on. You might want to take a rock or two out.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hello! i agree with above. a hide is needed for your dragon. rocks can be a little iffy as they can heat up and burn your dragon since they don’t feel heat as well on their stomachs. maybe in on the basking side replace the rock with a branch. tile is a really good option because it can keep your dragons nails filed and it’s easy to clean. good luck!

Somedudeonhisphone

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm taking everyone's comments into consideration. A lot is in the works.

I had a dilemma I want all the natural rocks but am running out of room. So I've decided to but a front opening 40 gallon. So I can keep the stuff I want and also add hides and branches to allow my future dragon to choose. I also found someone selling slate tile which I may end up grabbing.

I've also noticed since my house stays at a pretty cooled 68 to 70 degrees my exo terra intense basking 100 watt wasn't performing. I upgraded to a 80 watt flood light halogen bulb and the rock holds a steady 102 degree basking spot. Which seems pretty perfect. The gradient of the encloser seems to be around 90 on the hot side falling through the 80s to about 78 on the cool side. This is just with the 29 gallon not the 40 things may change.

I'll be posting updates and pictures as things go but just wanted to update, and spread thanks.

Thanks again

Somedudeonhisphone

Bearded Dragon Egg
Made a petsmart run today and picked up this thrive 40 gal "essentials" front opening kit.

Now I dont plan on using all of the items included, but it does come with a few useful things. Such as the hide and the two light fixtures rated for 150 watts. Also comes with corner bowls that may come in handy in the future.

I dont plan on using the repticarpet currently it's just in there to protect the glass. I'm running the lights now trying to check my temps make sure they're still okay. The screen on the top is pretty durable and I decided to mount the uvb inside the tank itself.

I still plan on adding some more aboreal things such as a branch or two and maybe removing one of the grey rocks but things are getting there. Going to make a lowes run at some point to grab tiles because the reptile expo on the 12th is closing in fast.

20200703_150456.jpg

20200703_175244.jpg

Chadhfink

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank looks great tiles are a great option. Another option is getting a roll of paper and cutting to size it is really easy to clean and cheep and look surprisingly nice. I wouldn’t use the reptile carpenter though.

Somedudeonhisphone

Bearded Dragon Egg
I found someone with dark gray pure slate 12"x12" tiles on craigslist I'm going to grab them on monday. Paying 20 for 19 of them not bad!

Also I changed out some of the rocks because I noticed how closely the new hide and bowl that came with the kit resembles the real rock I found from this area. Pretty awesome!

Temps are still holding great which is also awesome.

Happy 4th!

20200704_145451.jpg
20200704_145507.jpg

Latest posts