• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting my bearded dragon to bond with me

Haileym1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

I've had my beardie (Floki) for about 6/7 weeks now. I was told he/she (was told he's a male but not confirmed) was 4 months old when I got him so should be about 5 and a half months now. He seems very settled in his viv now (4x2x2ft), got 3 hides (two on hot side, one on the cool side), bamboo to climb on etc. Eats well (mixture of greens, probiotics, locusts, dubia roaches and calci worms - the crickets were too quick for him!) and poops daily.

My main concern is that he seems relatively calm when I feed him (with tongs) and give him water (via syringe) but tends to run away straight after he's done like he's scared, so I'm finding it hard to find opportunities to pick him up and bond with him properly. I've only really managed to pick him up a couple of times, and it was when he was already up at the glass and just to weigh him and bath him right beside the tank, so that he could crawl straight back to the viv when he was ready. He seemed quite nervous these times so didn't really move much.

The viv sits in my living room which is where I spend a lot of my time, so he gets to watch me a lot, but I also do make a point to leave the room for big chunks of time during the day, because he seems to be more relaxed and out on the bamboo more if I'm not in the room, and I want to make sure he's getting enough uvb etc. I live alone with no other pets, and only have my partner visiting 2x weekly.

He let's me pet him briefly (once a few weeks ago he let me pet him on and off for a full hour while I sat beside the tank on my computer and didn't budge so seemed happy). I try to pet him whenever I see him up at the glass (I have him on Skype when I sit in another room).

Obviously I want to take it at his pace and not rush, but just looking to see if anyone had similar problems with theirs! And I just want him to feel more comfortable when I'm in the room.

Also if I come into the room and he's perched on something, he'll sit for a minute or two then run to hide, I'm just so worried he's still scared of me. I do tend to come in the room, sit down beside the viv slowly, and always use a gentle voice, so I'm not startling him.

I've watched loads of videos on YouTube and Facebook posts, so I'm aware of not putting my hand above them, to pick up from the front and underneath, putting my hand in the tank so they get used to your hand not being a threat, etc etc. Sitting at the side of the tank so he can see what I'm doing and get used to me. I would absolutely love to be able to pick him up and handle him for 10 minutes each day if not more, but as I say if he hides when I'm in the room or run away after briefly petting him I don't want to stress him out.

Thank you for reading my very long and and probably very repetitive post! I'm obsessed with my little guy, so any advice you can give I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_155240-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200620_155240-01.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200617_210108-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200617_210108-01.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 11

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you want to get him or her too know you well. Wait a week and a half to 2 weeks before handling him. Start by putting you hand it the cage and gently stroking him on the head making your way down. If he hisses or shows any aggression don’t worry he’s just scared or nervous because he doesn’t know you. So have a lot of patience and be gentle. Once he gets too know you he will never want to let go.

Haileym1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you want to get him or her too know you well. Wait a week and a half to 2 weeks before handling him. Start by putting you hand it the cage and gently stroking him on the head making your way down. If he hisses or shows any aggression don’t worry he’s just scared or nervous because he doesn’t know you. So have a lot of patience and be gentle. Once he gets too know you he will never want to let go.

Thanks! Had him /her about 7/8 weeks, and just been gently petting when he's up at the glass waiting on food etc. Just still a bit anxious about the picking him up when he's still quite skittish, but like you say happy to take my time and bring patient, just didn't know if there were any other tips :)

N W

Juvenile Dragon
It took ours quite a long time. Watch a YouTube video to see if you are trying to pick him up properly - they don't like things to come from over the top of them because of their "sensor" on top of their head to alert them of something above that might want to eat them!
Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing, keep your hand in there a lot, talk softly, move slowly - try some hand-feeding of you'd like, just watch your fingers. ;)

Haileym1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
It took ours quite a long time. Watch a YouTube video to see if you are trying to pick him up properly - they don't like things to come from over the top of them because of their "sensor" on top of their head to alert them of something above that might want to eat them!
Otherwise just keep doing what you're doing, keep your hand in there a lot, talk softly, move slowly - try some hand-feeding of you'd like, just watch your fingers. ;)

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only ones that's taking ages!!! Yeah checked out lots of videos and know to pick up from the front or side, so all ready to go (I think!!) when he /she's ready! Thanks again for replying :)

Latest posts