• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a Bearded Dragon

Paul Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone i am new to this.
I am getting a 16 week old Beardie and would like to know which bulbs and heaters i will need as i want to make sure everything is perfect. There is so much info online and it gets confusing then i come across this site and reading post i thought you guys know what your talking about.
I have got a wooden Vivarium measuring 30 x 15 x 15 Inch, Glass sliding doors at the front.

Thanks in advance Paul

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hello....Welcome to BDF. There is a tremendous amount of information out there but this is the only place I go to....to ask questions, make comments, and also to learn. There are very knowledgeable people that will help you out with any questions that you might have. I have only been here 3 months and have gained a ton of 'smarts' about my beardie. I will let someone else answer about what the beardies needs will be....I don't want to give out any wrong information.
Anyway....have fun and once again.....welcome to BDF!! :D

Paul Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the warm welcome, I know i willbe coming here all the time. As i look at it, its always best to ask for help than do it yourself and do it wrong.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Paul,

1.jpg

First a heads up on the enclosure size that you have. The BD that you plan on getting is 4 months old now, you will have upgrade to a larger enclosure long before it is a year old. The absolute minimum recommended sized enclosure for an adult size BD, has a 4 square foot 'Footprint' or floor area, the one you have described has 3 square feet of floor space. 15" tall, & if that is outside measurements makes it worse, will be very difficult to have the heat fixture & bulb mounted inside safely. Would not allow for a raised basking spot of any kind. A solution would be to cut a hole in the top, screen with a coarse mesh to accommodate side to side adjustment of a domed type or other enclosed fixture on top.

You will need a UVB Fluorescent Bulb 10+% (I would recommend a tube type) & a white bulb of sufficient wattage & type to provide the necessary temperatures measured in the right places with an accurate digital thermometer with a sensor attached that can be placed or attached to specific areas or an infrared thermometer (Temp Gun) used properly.

Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.
BDsetup-1.jpg

Here are some links that you may find helpful in answering the majority of your questions with good solid info, that can be trusted, unlike much found on the web today ...

Bearded Dragon Basic Care Guide

Exclusive Bearded Dragon Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Cohabitation

Good Luck

Latest posts