• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a baby..

Haplo'sMinion

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! I'm new to the fourm! I'll be getting my beardie next week sometime (first I've had in 5 years so I'm a little out of practice) this is the tank I have set up so far. It is not finished. Need to get the posts up to mound the heat lamp. I have temporary thermometers in there so I will be picking up better permant ones too. Pretty simple right now. Large rock cave on the hot side under the heat lamp with uvb so plenty of stead to bask. Hammock and half log on cool side to chill (pun intended lol) water dish, greens dish. Plan to feed by hand/tweezers. Ceramic tile on the bottom because our house runs cooler espically in the winter so this will help me regulate tank temp but I do have repticarpet I can throw down if it gets to warm.

Did i miss anything?? Does this look ok??

I will be getting a baby not an adult so hopefully he or she won't be scared if the giant things in the cage lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_164952587.jpg
    IMG_20200905_164952587.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone! I'm new to the fourm! I'll be getting my beardie next week sometime (first I've had in 5 years so I'm a little out of practice) this is the tank I have set up so far. It is not finished. Need to get the posts up to mound the heat lamp. I have temporary thermometers in there so I will be picking up better permant ones too. Pretty simple right now. Large rock cave on the hot side under the heat lamp with uvb so plenty of stead to bask. Hammock and half log on cool side to chill (pun intended lol) water dish, greens dish. Plan to feed by hand/tweezers. Ceramic tile on the bottom because our house runs cooler espically in the winter so this will help me regulate tank temp but I do have repticarpet I can throw down if it gets to warm.

Did i miss anything?? Does this look ok??

I will be getting a baby not an adult so hopefully he or she won't be scared if the giant things in the cage lol
The tank looks nice but I have some recommendations the UVB is a brand and bulb and is there a reflector on the fixture? Depending on the bulb your using it would need to go directly above the basking decor piece and a certain distance -- so please tell me the bulb T 5 or a T 8--- next please get a digital probe thermometer ASAP -- that basking light looks really close to the basking area and you do not want to burn him up or him get burned -- the way you have the UVB in there now it looks like its going to be shining directly in the babies eyes -- you dont want that but you want it directly overhead -- the ceramic tile will not heat up like you think I have slated ceramic tile in my tanks and they do not heat up - does your tile have some sort of texture so they dont slip? Basking temps in the tank should be 105-110 NO hotter ---

Haplo'sMinion

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank looks nice but I have some recommendations the UVB is a brand and bulb and is there a reflector on the fixture? Depending on the bulb your using it would need to go directly above the basking decor piece and a certain distance -- so please tell me the bulb T 5 or a T 8--- next please get a digital probe thermometer ASAP -- that basking light looks really close to the basking area and you do not want to burn him up or him get burned -- the way you have the UVB in there now it looks like its going to be shining directly in the babies eyes -- you dont want that but you want it directly overhead -- the ceramic tile will not heat up like you think I have slated ceramic tile in my tanks and they do not heat up - does your tile have some sort of texture so they dont slip? Basking temps in the tank should be 105-110 NO hotter ---

Hi Sadie, the uvb is an 18" T8, there isn't a reflector, are you meaning the diffuser? There was a frosted peice that came with the fixture but I left it off because I thought it would hinder him absorbing the uvb...

The tile does not have a texture, I didn't think about skipping because of the little claws I guess I'll be going tile shopping too!! Lol I like tile because it's easy to clean and sanitize.

I should note there is NO baby in there yet. This is just getting set up. I will be getting a probe thermometer in there. So far the temporary thermometers are testing 78-80 on the cool side and 105 directly under the basking light

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie, the uvb is an 18" T8, there isn't a reflector, are you meaning the diffuser? There was a frosted peice that came with the fixture but I left it off because I thought it would hinder him absorbing the uvb...

The tile does not have a texture, I didn't think about skipping because of the little claws I guess I'll be going tile shopping too!! Lol I like tile because it's easy to clean and sanitize.

I should note there is NO baby in there yet. This is just getting set up. I will be getting a probe thermometer in there. So far the temporary thermometers are testing 78-80 on the cool side and 105 directly under the basking light

Ok that frosted piece was the cover over the bulb? Leave it off -- no a reflector is a the shiny part behind the bulb - it looks like tin foil-- you need and want that --- it will reflect the rays to him downward -- w/ out it he wont be getting very much UVB if not any at all -- you want it directly over him -- the T 8 is good but not as strong as the T 5's so you want your basking piece directly over him approx 6-8 inches -- if you want to keep the same fixture you can go to this website and order a reflector http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/mi.../arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
I knew there was no baby in there yet and its good your doing your homework now - its going to prevent further issues down the road :) you want that digital probe that temp I am thinking is off

Haplo'sMinion

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok that frosted piece was the cover over the bulb? Leave it off -- no a reflector is a the shiny part behind the bulb - it looks like tin foil-- you need and want that --- it will reflect the rays to him downward -- w/ out it he wont be getting very much UVB if not any at all -- you want it directly over him -- the T 8 is good but not as strong as the T 5's so you want your basking piece directly over him approx 6-8 inches -- if you want to keep the same fixture you can go to this website and order a reflector http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/mi.../arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
I knew there was no baby in there yet and its good your doing your homework now - its going to prevent further issues down the road :) you want that digital probe that temp I am thinking is off
Ok stupid question but, I can't just use tinfoil? Lol

Is there a brand of affordable digital probe you recommend?

Also how low can nightime temps get for babies and adults? Trying to decide if I need to get a nighttime head source.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok stupid question but, I can't just use tinfoil? Lol

Is there a brand of affordable digital probe you recommend?

Also how low can nightime temps get for babies and adults? Trying to decide if I need to get a nighttime head source.
You don't want your tank below 65 at nite--- zoomed digital probe from PetSmart or Petco $7--
Yes tin foil will work but the reflector is less hassle and it's not expensive

Latest posts