• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

General starter questions

Beans

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,
I’ve shortly introduced myself and baby beardy Tiki a couple of days ago. And it’s time to ask the experienced owners some advise. Since it’s all over the place (part housing, part behavior etc) I think its best to do just one thread in the general section so here we go.

tiki came to us last weekend, so he’s still adjusting. So far we havent really handles him. We do handfees him a couple of bugs every feed and my sons handfeeds him greens. We also put our hands between him & the bowl when we put in food so walks over us to get to his roaches. He doesnt seem to mind this at all (every time he acts like he hasnt seen food in years… sooooo hungry all the time haha). But… he is shedding. His tail went fine with a lot of weer rubbing it to his rock. And now his body and limbs are turning greyish. It’s not really loose or peeling of for now, and i’m wondering if it would ve good to give him a bath? As i understand it could help loossen the skin a bit, but i do not want to add to his rehoming stress by handling to soon. So what should i do?

another thing that has me worries is about his sunbathing behaviour. Het has a rock, which is his solar spot. However on the cool side, i felt his enclosure was to dark. So for my own pleasure i added an extra bright white (no warmth) light at this side. But now ik think he spends more time on the cool side that on his hot rock, and that worries me because i’m scared he will not get enough UV that way?

an the last thing i’d like advise on is his sleeping behaviour. We have an porselain bulb on one side (the one that just emits heat, no light) to keep the temp from dropping to far at night. This keeps it at 18 degrees, although now in summer time its roughly around 20 without even needing the bulb. When the light go off we give him about 10-15 min to find a comfortabel space/position. He has 3 hides (one rock, one wood, one knitted cactus) but instead every time he chooses to walk up to either the back or front and then bends himself with his upper body up against the wall. It’s hard to describe but its like a human bendig over, almost 90degree angle…. But backwards. It looks so uncomfortable and unnatural. But he just closes his eyes en lays there… is that normal? Should we wake him and gently point out a less awkward looking alternative? Or is it fine this way.

sorry for the long story guys, a cute pic to make up the long reading:
FAFCD071-3980-46B6-B80B-C3FBEADABDE6.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,
I’ve shortly introduced myself and baby beardy Tiki a couple of days ago. And it’s time to ask the experienced owners some advise. Since it’s all over the place (part housing, part behavior etc) I think its best to do just one thread in the general section so here we go.

tiki came to us last weekend, so he’s still adjusting. So far we havent really handles him. We do handfees him a couple of bugs every feed and my sons handfeeds him greens. We also put our hands between him & the bowl when we put in food so walks over us to get to his roaches. He doesnt seem to mind this at all (every time he acts like he hasnt seen food in years… sooooo hungry all the time haha). But… he is shedding. His tail went fine with a lot of weer rubbing it to his rock. And now his body and limbs are turning greyish. It’s not really loose or peeling of for now, and i’m wondering if it would ve good to give him a bath? As i understand it could help loossen the skin a bit, but i do not want to add to his rehoming stress by handling to soon. So what should i do?

another thing that has me worries is about his sunbathing behaviour. Het has a rock, which is his solar spot. However on the cool side, i felt his enclosure was to dark. So for my own pleasure i added an extra bright white (no warmth) light at this side. But now ik think he spends more time on the cool side that on his hot rock, and that worries me because i’m scared he will not get enough UV that way?

an the last thing i’d like advise on is his sleeping behaviour. We have an porselain bulb on one side (the one that just emits heat, no light) to keep the temp from dropping to far at night. This keeps it at 18 degrees, although now in summer time its roughly around 20 without even needing the bulb. When the light go off we give him about 10-15 min to find a comfortabel space/position. He has 3 hides (one rock, one wood, one knitted cactus) but instead every time he chooses to walk up to either the back or front and then bends himself with his upper body up against the wall. It’s hard to describe but its like a human bendig over, almost 90degree angle…. But backwards. It looks so uncomfortable and unnatural. But he just closes his eyes en lays there… is that normal? Should we wake him and gently point out a less awkward looking alternative? Or is it fine this way.

sorry for the long story guys, a cute pic to make up the long reading:
View attachment 28169
Dragons sleep in weird positions --- it sounds like hes going into shed - the scales will turn different colors-- let the shed do its thing -- dont bath him its going to stress him out - when his scales get dry and crackly take a soft baby toothbrush and spray him brush lightly and it will loosen the shed or take it off -- do not peel -- the basking -- what are those temps on that rock and how are you getting them? You need a digital probe thermometer to get them - place probe on the rock and wait 10 minutes get temp- are you using a long tube fixture for UVB?

Beans

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the quick reply! When is it okay to bathe him? I know the breeder did this regularly and recommends it to help with shedding, but I don’t wanna stress him out ofcourse so i’ll look for a soft toothbrush for this shed (maybe he’ll just do it all by himself, thats probably best). But next time… do in bathe him? Do i start this in 3 weeks? I dont know.

I have a digital probe thermometer. 2 actually, one in the hotspot and one on the cool side. Temps are 41C in the hotspot (105/106 fahrenheit) and 28C on the cool side (about 82/83 Fahrenheit).
The uv light i use is a Solar Raptor HID with external ballast, its positioned 30cm above the hotspot. This is the correct distance for the uv…. It should be 25/30cm to get an uvi 12,5/8,5. But ofcourse when he’s roaming around on the hot side but not on the stone itsself he’s missing some elevation and getting less uv. He does go to his hotspot after each meal so thats good i guess.

They’re just so small as babies! I didnt really realise that untill we got this tiny looking fragile fellow. I just worry and want to do well with him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the quick reply! When is it okay to bathe him? I know the breeder did this regularly and recommends it to help with shedding, but I don’t wanna stress him out ofcourse so i’ll look for a soft toothbrush for this shed (maybe he’ll just do it all by himself, thats probably best). But next time… do in bathe him? Do i start this in 3 weeks? I dont know.

I have a digital probe thermometer. 2 actually, one in the hotspot and one on the cool side. Temps are 41C in the hotspot (105/106 fahrenheit) and 28C on the cool side (about 82/83 Fahrenheit).
The uv light i use is a Solar Raptor HID with external ballast, its positioned 30cm above the hotspot. This is the correct distance for the uv…. It should be 25/30cm to get an uvi 12,5/8,5. But ofcourse when he’s roaming around on the hot side but not on the stone itsself he’s missing some elevation and getting less uv. He does go to his hotspot after each meal so thats good i guess.

They’re just so small as babies! I didnt really realise that untill we got this tiny looking fragile fellow. I just worry and want to do well with him.
Your basking temps are good -- tbh I have never heard of the Solar Raptar bulb as long as its a bright white bulb NO off white or yellowish your good and keeping those basking temps to what you want--- what are you using for a UVB I dont see anything on this about UVB-- I am assuming its only a basking bulb?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats a really cute picture :) i hope to see more of ur lil guy.

Latest posts