• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

General help needed

BeardieDaddio

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_1737.jpeg

New beardie dad here. I did a whole bunch of extensive research before diving in and getting my very first beardie. The temp on cool side is 80F, basking side is 104F humidity is 40%. My beardie was purchased yesterday and today he is all alert and active! I was worried the first day because he wasn’t eating but today he drank from his water tub!. The questions I have are the following: I posted a picture where his mouth is open when he basks, is this cause for alarm? Also, I misted him today to keep him hydrated and only after finishing did I notice he started to glass surf towards my location. I also noticed what may be stress marks below his beard as posted. He’s super active and alert. Does he want attention? Meaning taking him out? I don’t want to stress him out because it’s a new home and I’ve heard to leave him alone while he adjusts. But otherwise he’s an apsolute joy and I love him!

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1738.jpeg
    IMG_1738.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 34640
New beardie dad here. I did a whole bunch of extensive research before diving in and getting my very first beardie. The temp on cool side is 80F, basking side is 104F humidity is 40%. My beardie was purchased yesterday and today he is all alert and active! I was worried the first day because he wasn’t eating but today he drank from his water tub!. The questions I have are the following: I posted a picture where his mouth is open when he basks, is this cause for alarm? Also, I misted him today to keep him hydrated and only after finishing did I notice he started to glass surf towards my location. I also noticed what may be stress marks below his beard as posted. He’s super active and alert. Does he want attention? Meaning taking him out? I don’t want to stress him out because it’s a new home and I’ve heard to leave him alone while he adjusts. But otherwise he’s an apsolute joy and I love him!
Welcome to beardie world--- first the open mouth is him gaping which is good he is adjusting his body temp- next dragons usually do not drink from a water bowl but if he is that is good - they get their main hydration from their green salads - it is good to rinse them before serving - next he is going thru relocation stress so that is normal it will throw their eating off - as long as hes eating something your good its when they stop eating not so much - the most important thing in the tank is the surface basking temps which should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer 105-110 for a baby - that will change when he hits 6 months of age then they usually go to a temp of 95-100 - next the UVB ------ NO COILS --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12 % bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- for a 40 gallon + tank a 24" is recommended - please do not take him out he needs time to adjust and acclimate to his tank and surroundings - I would start hand taming him w/ some BSFL used to lure him to his salad bowl - approach him from the side not from above - he will think you are a predator - its going to take time and patience for him to get used to you and his surroundings - work w/ him on trust that is a big thing - your humidity should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer --- placed on the back center wall of the tank - Please do not get a combo one - Exo Terra sells them -- analogs are inaccurate - but the 40% is optimal -- if you need any more help please ask - are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3 and how often?

BeardieDaddio

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to beardie world--- first the open mouth is him gaping which is good he is adjusting his body temp- next dragons usually do not drink from a water bowl but if he is that is good - they get their main hydration from their green salads - it is good to rinse them before serving - next he is going thru relocation stress so that is normal it will throw their eating off - as long as hes eating something your good its when they stop eating not so much - the most important thing in the tank is the surface basking temps which should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer 105-110 for a baby - that will change when he hits 6 months of age then they usually go to a temp of 95-100 - next the UVB ------ NO COILS --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12 % bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- for a 40 gallon + tank a 24" is recommended - please do not take him out he needs time to adjust and acclimate to his tank and surroundings - I would start hand taming him w/ some BSFL used to lure him to his salad bowl - approach him from the side not from above - he will think you are a predator - its going to take time and patience for him to get used to you and his surroundings - work w/ him on trust that is a big thing - your humidity should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer --- placed on the back center wall of the tank - Please do not get a combo one - Exo Terra sells them -- analogs are inaccurate - but the 40% is optimal -- if you need any more help please ask - are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D3 and how often?
Thanks for all the info! Feeding him twice daily 30 crickets in total dusted with repti calcium added D3

BeardieDaddio

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for all the info! Feeding him twice daily 30 crickets in total dusted with repti calcium added D3
Leafy greens like mustard greens and collard greens I give him every second day. Sometimes I throw other veggies in there as well like celery, cucumber or fruits like blueberries although I only give him fruits once a week.

Latest posts