• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fussy eater...

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay, apparently Wonder is a fussy eater...
She use to eat mainly a mixture of mealworms and crickets -- basically was told that she doesnt like crickets,but that I could try again when she moved here.

So, thats exactly it...she is hungry, but doesnt like crickets. Will eat no more then 3-4 crickets a day -- but will eat up to 10 mealworms and bok choy.
What else can I offer her that is better then mealworms? She is 5 months of age.

Thanks.

BigDaddyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would say if you can find roaches, to give that a try. Mealworms can cause impaction because of the hard shell on the outside. You might try superworms. They are similar to mealworms, but can malw your beardie even more picky in the longrun. Try just offering crickets, maybe wonder just needs to be given the ultimatum? Best of Luck with whatever you do. Keep updating!

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I hate to have to do this, but sometimes you need to deal out a little tough love. Just put crickets in there, and no matter how many she eats, refuse to give her mealworms. Im pretty sure when she sees no more mealies are comming, she will learn to like the crix. :)

Giving her mealies when she doesn't eat crix is like encouraging her to be picky.

hanfon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I know that when I gave Pluto superworms for the first time, he loved them soooo much he stopped eating anything else! Until then he was happy eating crickets and salad. He wouldnt touch his salad or crix at all for ages after that . It didnt last forever...I kept offering salad daily without it being eaten. Now he's back on crix, woodies, salad and some supers. Crickets definitely aren't his favourite but if I rotate his bug feeding, he settles into it. Pluto is 14 months old now tho, so mainly eats lots of salad, but I still give him some live bugs almost every day.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Really good alternative feeders are
Roaches
Silkworms
And IF your beardie is OVER 16 inches in length (measures tip to tail) Super worms can be fed
Some ppl feed pheonix worms as well
And a horn worm or two

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Are pheonix worms good? Why are crickets so encouraged over other insects?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No mealies....not with any beardie. They dont' digest them well. I know the other owner gave them to her, but it is a bad choice.

If you want her to eat crix, then you are going to have to just force the issue. She isn't a tiny baby, so you can work with this. Don't feed any worms at all. None. If you feed any worms, she will not eat crix. If you want to feed these other types of worms mentioned that is fine, just realize she will not eat a crix again.

Also..have you changed the uvb to the tube type yet?

Offer different kinds of greens daily. You want her to have a good variety.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, crix are the best/cheapest and very good nutritionwise. But there are alternitives such as roaches. I personally wouldn't go with hornworms, except as a treat. Those things get HUGE!

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OKay, so apparently she only wants crickets - IF I removed her from her tank, put her in a "feeding tank" with the crickets-- then she eats. Just she is too too confortable in her home to chase after food :)
Still girl - ate 15 crickets so far today!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a start. She is still adjusting. If she likes the feeding tank, then do that.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting that she prefers the feeding tank!
Hopefully the original poster can update us on her beardie's status!

Latest posts