• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fruit Flies

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all,

Have any of you had issues with fruit flies in your dragons Viv's, I do believe we have a slight issue...and I keep trying to get them out..and its not working !!

I have vinegar and dish soap in dishes around the house..but they still are trying to live with the dragons...but they are not welcome !

Any suggestions welcome....thanks ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Weeeeeeeeeeeelllll... the flies found a food source... time for a thorough cleaning.. also, change out food dishes daily and wash in a vinegar/water mix.
Once the food sources are removed, you shouldn't see more breeding, I hope.
Hope this helps out.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
funny thing is that I am doing this...and the little critters still are there, though I read on the internet to get a blow dryer and put it on cool, and they get sucked up from the other end....it worked like magic !!! and quite entertaining on my part ;D

I now have there vivs completely sealed up so hopfully this will be the end of it...I have cheese cloth around the vents so my babies can still get some air...

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Man, that stinks. Hope the hair dryer did the trick. I know in the summer, we can't leave any fruit out of the fridge. Those stinkers appear out of nowhere - even when you have a peach out for 5 minutes.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have a LOT of fruit trees here so cant get rid of them either. Are they harmfull to beardies ???

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
From what I have read they are not dangerous to dragons...just a pain in the but...but Stubbs has been chasing them around the tank...he has such a awesome personality...

And yes the hair dryer did the trick...no more flies in either of there Viv's this morning and the vinegar and dish soap is working like a dream, who needs chemicals ??

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fruit flies. Oh man. Nasty little irritators. They want everything! Greedy little hoarders.

But.......they're not harmful. You'll actually do more damage trying to get rid of them, than letting them stay.

The one thing I do manage to do.....is use packing tape and one little piece of fruit. Use the tape to twist around the fruit. Trust me, they can still get in! But make sure they have to come back out across the sticky side. The smell attracts them, but they'll actually get stuck and stay.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Psssssssssst... dish soap has chemicals ...But I get the gist...

Thanks for catching that...but did you see the time of my posting...next time I will have second coffee ;)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Grins... I did... Don't worry.. I'm guessing we've all done that from time to time.

Latest posts