• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Freckles

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is my gecko,Freckles.
019.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aw, freckles is adorable.

Always wondered something. I have never had one or touched one, but they look so soft and "Squishy" Are they?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Squishy ? Well I suppose their bellies are. These don't have the "heavy" armor that dragons do. You do have to be more gentle when handling.

Tail dropping is usually the prime handling issue.. people who grab by the tail, will find themselves holding that tail, and the gecko has escaped. Baaaaaaaaaaad.

Only two of mine tend to get held on a regular basis.. Petey and Dora.
These are also the first geckos we got in the collection of the geckos we currently have.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Squishy ?

Yes, dont know why but they have always reminded me of the toy dragons my kids have, you can stretch them and squeeze them, are made of very soft/durable/stretchy rubber filled with tiny plastic pellets. Got a silky feel to it.

Thanx for the info, good to know. Think I would freak if ones tail fell off. Does it grow back like a "Akkedis"

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, they can, if the animal survives the "trauma". Once regrown, it is a different shape, than before. It is shorter, and fatter, even in some I've seen on a "light diet" so to speak, it looks deformed. It isn't though, just the way it grows back. Not quite sure why the tails grow back like that though...

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awwww shame poor babies. BUt it doesnt happen often right? That people handle them wrong, causing their tails to fall off. At least I hope not.

I wish that there were laws on EARTH that made you research your exotic pet before getting it, and then maybe getting experts to do a home inspection before you could keep it. Would make for lots of happier pets and a lot less heartache and sad stories. I once saw a pic of a dehydrated BD, and I cried, felt so bad for it.

Oh yes and some people shouldnt have pets at all

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have only held 2 geckos,my own and one a friend rescued. They are soft compared to beardies. The one my friend has,he has worked with it and it will crawl all over and is very tamed,Freckles on the other hand will let me hold her only if she wants to be held.When I pick her up she tries to fight until she realizes it's me and then if she doesn't want to be held she crawls off my hand. I never force her to be held but most times she will sit on my hand(I have pictures) and sometimes tries to crawl up my arm. I don't let her crawl too far because I am afraid she will try to run.She has plenty of running around room she is in a 29 gal tank,has her dry and moist hides,etc...........I LOVE to watch her shed,she looks like a stripper,especially when she removes the shed from her feet. Sometimes she will come out of her hide when I go over to her corner,sometimes she hides deeper. If I don't see her out for a couple of days I always move her rock hide and check on her but most times I don't disturb her. Lately I have found her basking on her rock,although she is nocturnal.I talk to her just like I do my dragons and sometimes she comes out to visit.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Freckles is really pretty. I was actually surprised at how soft they are. I love to hold mine. My spotted one is more apt to let me do it than my lighter one. I have this fear that mine will lose their tails too. I believe someone would have to pick me up from the floor if that happened though. A friend of mine said that that seldom happens though.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sara
Freckles looks fantastic. Fat and sassy!!!!!!!!!

Not quite sure why the tails grow back like that though...
that's simple. they're not cloned. Each hair you lose may be replaced by another.....but it's not an exact match. each skin cell is not an exact match. dna matches, yes. but the alleles are slightly different.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Freckles is a 'normal' leopard gecko, right ? Man, I want a normal one, but I never see them in my area.

I actually held a leo last week for the first time! It was so cute. It was a Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy *takes breath* ...What a mouthful! WOW. Anyway, it was so rubbery! :D ...and squishy.. LOL

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Gina!!! Yes as far as I know she's a "normal" leo,ladyknite could answer that for you. I will have to post a picture later of her tail,her tail is huge,it seems almost as big as she is. Getting ready to run errands or I would fight with photobucket now. Will post one later though.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm going to have to hold mine tonight and see if that's how they really feel. LOL I am just always so in awe of them. I think they are so soft and never thought of them as squishy. I'll have to check that out. They'll probably poop on me.

Latest posts