• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frank's Enclosure: Take 2

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It cost me under $100 for all the wood and screws. The plexi-glass is $30-$60 (not part of the $100 I mentioned earlier)

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dusty(hubby) is planning on making Lacey's enclosure this weekend. So I have a few questions.What kind of light fixtures/ bulbs are you useing? How did you hang the fixtures? How many vents will I need and what size should they be? Thats all I can think of for now but I'm sure there will be more.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right now I am using 2 of the 5.5" Zilla clamp lamps but one of them I took the dome off. I will probably take the other dome off too to spread more light in the enclosure. One houses a 75 watt halogen flood light and the other one houses an 100 watt MVB (although I'm getting 160 watt next). I fed the wires through a gap in the roof of the enclosure and then used a staple gun to hold the wires in place and mount the light.

Do don't need that many vents. I know most people only put 2 small round ones towards the top of the enclosure. You don't wan't too much ventilation because all of your humidity will escape. You can do 1 6x4 vent towards the top too if you wanted. With Frank's enclosure he's got little gaps in the roof that serve as his ventilation.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol I often wish the same! Especially when it's cold in the house. Frank's home is always nice and toasty

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes to an extent. But just like beardies, it varies from individual to individual. Some don't go down, some get lazy and some aren't even phased by it. Frank slows down and will sleep for several days to a week or so.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Got a question for you Candice. I think I remember you useing great stuff to make a background for Frank. Am I remembering correctly? If so would this work on plywood? And what kind of paint/sealer should I put over it? I was thinking of doing this when I build Lacey's enclosure but was curious as to how well it will stand up against the humidity.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In Frank's first enclosure I used the Great Stuff and grout for the background. It held up well to all the misting and such but it was a smooth surface that Frank couldn't climb well. I used acrylic paint (non-toxic) and mod podge and aquarium silicone to seal/waterproof it. What you could do is make lines kind of like the grooves in tree bark and once it's dried you can take a razor and cut the tops off to give a rougher texture and then grout and paint and seal it. I want to get the bark tiles that Zoo Med makes for my walls eventually.

Latest posts