• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First timer....does he look healthy?

Defianceofexistence

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone

Ok so I have had Bowzer since Sunday. The people I got him from obviously loved him and handled him well since he is super calm and loves to be on you and stroked. That being said, he lived in a 20g fish tank and he only came with a desk lamp for warmth, no uvb. I'm not sure if this was a temp thing or if they ever gave him uvb but because of that I worry about his health. He eats like a pig (literally lol) and so far I haven't witnessed him touch any of his fresh fruits or veggies but that may change once he settles in.

Now he is in a huge tank with no paper towel as substrate (he was on really dirty sand) and he is eating crickets,hornworms, silkworms and superworms.

This is a picture I took of him last night when we were having
Bowzer.jpg
snuggles. Just from this picture does he look ok? He is 1.5 years old according to the guy I got him from (craigslist in my area).

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
He looks like a big robust guy to me. Is there a exotics vet you could take him in for an initial check up and test for worms and all that? I'm a believer in regular scheduled vet visits. Could you contact the guy you got him from off Craigslist and ask for more background info? After all, he has nothing to lose by answering questions, you already bought him so he may be forthcoming. Big appetite is a good sign :)

Defianceofexistence

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply :)

I tried messaging the guy and of course get no response now. He said that he was housed in a 100g tank but that it got cracked in a move and so they put him into the 20g. I have no idea how long he lived in the 20g but it was disgusting when we got him....a ton of left over poop and dead crickets and dried up old lettuce....we dropped him off at home and went out and bought all new stuff for him and he seems so much happier. He loves his big rock cave and his new heat lamp. When I asked the seller about a uv lamp coming with him he said "no, just heat" so either he kept the uv lamp or he just didn't have one for him. In emailing back and forth I had asked a ton of questions but only a few were actually answered. I know that he hasn't been doing regular calcium, just vitamins.

There is a vet by me that see's reptiles (Ive taken my chameleon there) so I will have a check up done for him. Just wanted some reassurance until then....thanks :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like a shady dude I'm glad you got your hands on him he'll have a much better life! Yeah, I'm sure the vet can check his stools and joints and mouth and all. Good luck:)

Latest posts