• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first large enclosure

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay so it's not that they can't feel heat on their belly it's that they can't feel it as well as they do on their backs. They just know that heat comes from above and they seek out the sun and warmth with their "third eye". With the UTH they may sit there too long and potentially burn themselves. There are so many problems reported with UTH's and heat rocks shorting out and getting too hot too fast.

The other issue with heat rocks and UTH's is bearded dragons need an ambient temperature, meaning the temperature around them needs to be say 65 degrees at night. A rock or heater doesn't heat the whole tank it only heats a small spot of the tank so as soon as the beardie moves from that spot they are going to be cold again.

There are so many different explanations as to why heaters and rocks are bad and there are no reasons as to why they are good.

From my experience I used to use UTH's with my frogs. It heated one small section of their tank and the frogs never went near that section. The heaters also stopped sticking after awhile.

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
Oh ok I think the heat rock should only be use for specific type of reptile....nah it better if they stop selling the heat rock

Latest posts