• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first enclosure advice please

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
ok so here is a pic of my first tank that i have setup already. the basking spot is on the rocks and he has the hide hole in the bark. the rocks and bard were cleaned and baked properly to clean everything of bugs and what not. the temps toward the bottom by the hide hole are between 83 and 86 and the basking spot is at about 106......it looks kinda small in the pic but i guess thats just how a camera works. its a 20 gallon the rock fixture and bark are bigger then they appear.

ok so i cant figure out how to put up a pic. i tried to upload it but it says one pic is to large of a file and wont upload it.

i would like to put in some live plants like idk is pothos edible and safe for them??i know it is for chams thats mostly what i use. but could you tell me some cheeper safe plants to add in so it doesnt look so plain.

thanks a bunch

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
599599_270381409734016_1546199349_n.jpg
hopefully you can see it now

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Way, way, way too many hiding spots for feeders in those rocks. Also could be a dangerous tumble factor. The crix will head straight for them to hide in the dark crevices to get out of the light, even the Hide provides a haven for them to hide from it. Unless you plan feeding a lot of crix so it has a chance to grab a few before they hide & then on taking all the rocks out every night to remove the crix, I suggest that you simplify that enclosure a lot. The crix will hide from the light all day & then come out at night because they are nocturnal. They will bother your BD's sleep & nibble on your BD at night if you don't. In extreme cases, have caused sores\lesions. Just a heads up & it will be a chore to change out the paper towel substrate. As I mentioned in the other thread, the K.I.S.S. method is the way to start out, a lot less stressful for the BD & you ;).

Have you a UVB bulb?

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
you never explained what the K.I.S.S method is so i would have no idea how to do that. i looked it up in the search bar and stuff but nothing came up. and you cant see it but there is a clear sealant that is animal safe holding the rock formation together though i understand what your saying about hide holes. i don't have anything else to lift him up high enough for basking though.

and yes i have all the right lights.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not only a feeder hideout, but a REALLY heavy furnishing to move around to change the substrate. By the way, I wasn't calling you stupid, but that is what the K.I.S.S. method is. ;)

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
i guess im just so used to my chameleon cages that have to have a ton of leaves and everything in them cause thats how they eat and i make some pretty extravagant cages for them that i wanted it to look a little more interesting. i know know all about lighting and all that though from them.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Much much better but I don't think you need all those little bowls....IMHO! Plus I don't have a water bowl in my tank.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Much better, but still kinda cluttered to start out. You only need one bowl for food & I suggest a very low sided dish to start out with for their greens, a jar lid works very well, so they can easily see the greens without climbing. Very few BDs will drink from standing water, there is the odd one, but they are few & far between. Most of us don't provide a water dish because very few will use it & it just raises the humidity. There aren't too many puddles for them to soak in in their natural desert type habitat.

By the way, the crix will crawl under the paper towel too, so be sure to check under there at night before lights out, for the hiding ones. As I mentioned in the first thread, the only things that are really needed for furnishings in the beginning is a basking spot & a low sided food dish. You will find that your BD, if you get a youngster, will acclimate with much less stress, the simpler the enclosure furnishings. You can gradually dress it up later. Here is a pic of one of my Hatchling enclosure temp home.
Beardie Wave 025.JPG

What you do is up to you, these are only suggestions, but good ones to provide a stress free environment for you new pet to start out with. As I said, you can dress it up later. About the live plants, many have tried, but they just raise the humidity & the BD digs, makes a mess & the potting soil is an impaction & often a chemical risk.

Good Luck

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@ Rept82 - It is cushioned, textured, vinyl deck flooring, permanently glued to the floor with the edges silicone sealed.

@ Pat - should of seen it at the end of the day when all were in the same enclosure :eek:

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
We use shelf liner that you norm put dishes on, cut down to fit you tank, then fold the paper towel around the edge to take the hide hole from the crix. Makes clean up a little easier. Then we us 1 dish for greens, a log for basking and climbing and a net. Spazz is happy. If he gets a mealworm he has a dish for that but thats it.....for now.....You should of seen how cluttered mine was....2 big logs, 1 hid log, 1 feed dish, 1 water dish, and SOOOOO many hides for the crix...Spazz was not a happy camper lol...Pat helped me out...:) She yelled at me about Akuna Mitada

P.J.

Bearded Dragon Egg
5Id5Ed5K73M23I43Nfc8cbd5974a126a91c77.jpg
Much better, but still kinda cluttered to start out. You only need one bowl for food & I suggest a very low sided dish to start out with for their greens, a jar lid works very well, so they can easily see the greens without climbing. Very few BDs will drink from standing water, there is the odd one, but they are few & far between. Most of us don't provide a water dish because very few will use it & it just raises the humidity. There aren't too many puddles for them to soak in in their natural desert type habitat.

By the way, the crix will crawl under the paper towel too, so be sure to check under there at night before lights out, for the hiding ones. As I mentioned in the first thread, the only things that are really needed for furnishings in the beginning is a basking spot & a low sided food dish. You will find that your BD, if you get a youngster, will acclimate with much less stress, the simpler the enclosure furnishings. You can gradually dress it up later. Here is a pic of one of my Hatchling enclosure temp home.
View attachment 2580

What you do is up to you, these are only suggestions, but good ones to provide a stress free environment for you new pet to start out with. As I said, you can dress it up later. About the live plants, many have tried, but they just raise the humidity & the BD digs, makes a mess & the potting soil is an impaction & often a chemical risk.

Good Luck

Hi Germ,
In reference to your lighting setup, It looks like you have a heat lamp on the left, your UVB in front of it (under the screen) and a CHE on the far right. Is that correct? I'm setting mine up and want to get the lighting setup correct. My tank is 52 wide x 24 x 24. It is wood on the sides, screened top and glass front(if that makes a difference).

Thanks P.J.

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
I use repti carpet basicaly same thing as germ's and trust me changeing those papertowles every day will drive you mad i was so releived when i found the repti carpet :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@PJ - What are you using for substrate? The light on the right is an ordinary small 40W bulb just for added light & small amount of heat on the cool side, in my enclosure.

P.J.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't put any substrate down yet. (This picture was from the previous owner, craigslist.) My dragon is currently in a 10 gallon and plan on moving him this weekend. I am leaning towards textured tile for substrate.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get it out of the 10 gal as soon as you can. There is no way that you can provide the proper heat gradient required in it.

Latest posts