• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

FIRE???

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have an exo terra 150watt basking light not sure if its the bulb or the fixture its in a black hooded lamp that sits on top of her cage , today I smalled something you know that burning wire smell and noticed the light was smoking the bulb is less than a month old, not sure on the hood has anyone ever had any problems like this with this set up? I have turned it off but now suga is p*&^%$ lol she has turned black , I cant get to the petstore tonight is it ok to turn her light off early im really concerned a fire could start since there is smoke and that cant be good for her to breathe in either. Makes me kinda freaky when im going to have to leave her lights on when im not home even if we get her new lights. we are in the process of setting up her new 55g viv so any suggestions on a different method of lighting would be appreciated too, thanks . ???

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
was it a plastic fixture? with a 150 watt basking light it is safest to use a ceramic fixture or a fixture with a high temp rating. (that is if the fixture is what was burning which would be my first guess).
You did the right thing by turning it off. Smoke is deffinately not good for her and fire is not good for anyone lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm with Brian, most likely the fixture to hold your basking bulb was only designed up to 100 watts.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just agreeing with everyone. Best to turn the lights off until you can figure out if it was a high wattage bulb causing the issues or a faulty hood.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL i had a blond moment the fixture is fine its a ceramic and meant for high temps , the lighbulb for some reason now sits lower than the shade {I cant seem to fix it nor know why it happened now} but it ws burning the mesh screen , so it proped up now so it cant touch but i will be getting a bigger fixture so that doesnt happen,, She seems alot happier today after I turned it back on , thanks everyone ::)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear that you got to the root of the problem!

Latest posts