• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Few Questions about a new enclosure

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just bought a Zen Reptile 4x2x2 enclosure for my juvenile bearded dragon and I have a few questions hoping you guys can help out with.

1. Have a 24 inch zoo med fixture, question is placement. I am going to mount it inside but should it be in the middle or more to the left of right and should it be centered or more to the back or front of the enclosure.

2. Have 2 heat lamps, should they be also both on one side over the basking spot ? Or should they be separated a bit.

3. I didn’t purchase the stand, which in hindsight improperly should have, but what are you guys using for a stand for this size enclosure.

TYIA for any help !!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just bought a Zen Reptile 4x2x2 enclosure for my juvenile bearded dragon and I have a few questions hoping you guys can help out with.

1. Have a 24 inch zoo med fixture, question is placement. I am going to mount it inside but should it be in the middle or more to the left of right and should it be centered or more to the back or front of the enclosure.

2. Have 2 heat lamps, should they be also both on one side over the basking spot ? Or should they be separated a bit.

3. I didn’t purchase the stand, which in hindsight improperly should have, but what are you guys using for a stand for this size enclosure.

TYIA for any help !!!!
I have two different stands one I got from Home Depot it was spendy and its for an aquarium but its great it fits the 4x2x2 tank perfect - the second one I decided not to spend that kind of money and went to a used furniture store and bought a dresser w/ drawers for $40 works great and I have plenty of storage for the dragons stuff --- as far as the UVB you can place it as close to the basking area as you can I have mine set up w/ it in the middle front of tanks --- they have 2 basking areas -- one 75 watt bulb on the top of screen behind the UVB and then the hot side of the tank -- you want your basking area on the hot side ambient temps 90-100 and surface basking temps 95-100 - in that area there are different temps for them to sit - the middle of the tank temps sit around 90's -- then your cool side low 80's --- you want your UVB directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- I have a dragon that is having a hard time seeing and he quit using his rock / cave under the UVB and now sits on the floor so I pushed the cave to the back of the tank and lowered the UVB to 12 inches and he sits directly under it now on the floor -- he still uses the cave but doesnt sit on top of it anymore -- the other dragon has his UVB same set up but uses his rock under the UVB-- I can post a pic if you like let me know -- go by a digital probe thermometer for your surface basking temps- once you get that in place the ambient temps should follow w/ temps of what you need - I use 3 gauges in the tank a digital probe --- IR gun and a analog

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have two different stands one I got from Home Depot it was spendy and its for an aquarium but its great it fits the 4x2x2 tank perfect - the second one I decided not to spend that kind of money and went to a used furniture store and bought a dresser w/ drawers for $40 works great and I have plenty of storage for the dragons stuff --- as far as the UVB you can place it as close to the basking area as you can I have mine set up w/ it in the middle front of tanks --- they have 2 basking areas -- one 75 watt bulb on the top of screen behind the UVB and then the hot side of the tank -- you want your basking area on the hot side ambient temps 90-100 and surface basking temps 95-100 - in that area there are different temps for them to sit - the middle of the tank temps sit around 90's -- then your cool side low 80's --- you want your UVB directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- I have a dragon that is having a hard time seeing and he quit using his rock / cave under the UVB and now sits on the floor so I pushed the cave to the back of the tank and lowered the UVB to 12 inches and he sits directly under it now on the floor -- he still uses the cave but doesnt sit on top of it anymore -- the other dragon has his UVB same set up but uses his rock under the UVB-- I can post a pic if you like let me know -- go by a digital probe thermometer for your surface basking temps- once you get that in place the ambient temps should follow w/ temps of what you need - I use 3 gauges in the tank a digital probe --- IR gun and a analog
Thanks for the reply, yeah I might hit a few thrift shops to look for a stand, don’t want to spend big bucks right now. I think I got what you are saying for the placement, but if you could post a few pics that would be very helpful. I have 2 digital probe thermometers, a few digital stick on thermometers and an IR gun. All measure humidity too !!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reply, yeah I might hit a few thrift shops to look for a stand, don’t want to spend big bucks right now. I think I got what you are saying for the placement, but if you could post a few pics that would be very helpful. I have 2 digital probe thermometers, a few digital stick on thermometers and an IR gun. All measure humidity too !!!!
I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer they are the most accurate - place the probe on the back center wall of the tank - Exo Terra makes them -- as i stated the rock/ cave was pushed to the back of the tank and the UVB was lowered to 12 inches now - I took the piece out that is behind that rock now - I need to get a recent pic of Blazes tank

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 34

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer they are the most accurate - place the probe on the back center wall of the tank - Exo Terra makes them -- as i stated the rock/ cave was pushed to the back of the tank and the UVB was lowered to 12 inches now - I took the piece out that is behind that rock now - I need to get a recent pic of Blazes tank
I purchased 2 of these ….

R these any good ? Or should I return them for the Exo Terra.

So you have 3 heat lamps, one in the center and 2 on the right ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I purchased 2 of these ….

R these any good ? Or should I return them for the Exo Terra.

So you have 3 heat lamps, one in the center and 2 on the right ?
I don't see why not - yes I have 3 heat lamps- one 150 and a 75 on hot side summer time that 75 is not used a lot and then a 75 in the middle of tank--

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't see why not - yes I have 3 heat lamps- one 150 and a 75 on hot side summer time that 75 is not used a lot and then a 75 in the middle of tank--
Perfect !!! Thank you very much for the help. Hopefully I’ll have everything delivered and set up by the weekend. I’m sure I’ll have some additional questions

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
How did u hang that light inside ? R those zip ties ?

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have it set up, definitely needs more stuff but this was coming from a much smaller enclosure. Temps from cool side to hot side are 79-90-95. Thoughts ? And humidity is all between 27-37

Attachments

• IMG_8985.jpeg
    IMG_8985.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have it set up, definitely needs more stuff but this was coming from a much smaller enclosure. Temps from cool side to hot side are 79-90-95. Thoughts ? And humidity is all between 27-37
Ok the tank looks good but the hide looks a little small --- I would invest in a bigger hide for him -- I have that same stick / log piece in my two tanks but I use it w / the bigger trunk up and the long stick part on the floor of the tank -- also please get a digital probe hygrometer --- place on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% - you dont want it under 20% or over 70% --- this helps w/ their shedding --

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the tank looks good but the hide looks a little small --- I would invest in a bigger hide for him -- I have that same stick / log piece in my two tanks but I use it w / the bigger trunk up and the long stick part on the floor of the tank -- also please get a digital probe hygrometer --- place on the back center wall of the tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% - you dont want it under 20% or over 70% --- this helps w/ their shedding --
I’ll try to reposition it when he gets off it. There are 3 digital probe thermometers in there, the probes are closer to the center of the tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll try to reposition it when he gets off it. There are 3 digital probe thermometers in there, the probes are closer to the center of the tank
Is one the hygrometer?

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8988.jpeg
    IMG_8988.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8987.jpeg
    IMG_8987.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All 3 are hydrometers also, is this better placement for the probes ?
You only need one hygrometer and you want 2 digital probe thermometers -- the probe should be placed every couple of weeks on the basking spot where he sits - basking bulbs get weak over time - you dont need to leave it there but it should be checked -- the other one place on the cool side -- ok I zoomed in on the gauges they are a combo -- so your good --

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, thanks, hot side temp doesn’t seem high enough. I only have a 100 watt bulb, thinking I might need to get something a little bigger. Thoughts

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, thanks, hot side temp doesn’t seem high enough. I only have a 100 watt bulb, thinking I might need to get something a little bigger. Thoughts
Higher wattage- what are the surface basking temps- are you placing the probe under the lamp where he sits

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Higher wattage- what are the surface basking temps- are you placing the probe under the lamp where he sits
They range from 90-95 degrees. I had the probe attached to the back wall, I just moved it further out close to the center and will get an updated temp in a little bit. I do have a few other questions if you don’t mind ….

1. What is your light cycle, currently I have mine turning on at 7am and off at 10pm. You think that is fine or needs adjusting

2. Love your corner hide, do you happen to remember where you purchased it ?

Thanks again !!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They range from 90-95 degrees. I had the probe attached to the back wall, I just moved it further out close to the center and will get an updated temp in a little bit. I do have a few other questions if you don’t mind ….

1. What is your light cycle, currently I have mine turning on at 7am and off at 10pm. You think that is fine or needs adjusting
Optimal photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - some people run them longer in the summer but that is up to you and your dragon -
2. Love your corner hide, do you happen to remember where you purchased it ? Pet Smart

Thanks again !!!!

curbilly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks !!! Picked the hide and the skull up at Pet Smart today. Temps are roughly 80, 88, 91 from cool to hot side. Humidity is roughly around 40 all over.

Attachments

• IMG_8994.jpeg
    IMG_8994.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8993.jpeg
    IMG_8993.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts