• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female beardie not eating

MissJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I started taking care of my boyfriend's female beardie, she's about 4 years old? She was rescued a couple of years ago by his friend. We took her to the vet for a checkup around Oct 12th, she got the all clear. She accidentally mated once with the male in the same tank (because his friend was told 'she' was a 'he') She laid eggs once. She's been separated since, but we are not sure if she can become infertile again?

Before the vet visit she would scratch to get out of her tank, run around, scratch everything. No digging signs though, she was eating everything in her dish and always seemed super hungry. About two weeks ago she stopped eating, she looked plumper, so we thought maybe she was going to lay. She's been lazy sitting in her tree. Hasn't pooped in over a week, even with warm bathes.

Winter hit early about 3 weeks ago, my boyfriend never really seen her go into a full brumation. I'm worried she could either go egg bound or is just ready to brumate? Unfortunately we don't have the $150 right now to get x-rays to see if she has eggs. Does anyone have advice on how keep her healthy for now?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

I started taking care of my boyfriend's female beardie, she's about 4 years old? She was rescued a couple of years ago by his friend. We took her to the vet for a checkup around Oct 12th, she got the all clear. She accidentally mated once with the male in the same tank (because his friend was told 'she' was a 'he') She laid eggs once. She's been separated since, but we are not sure if she can become infertile again?

Before the vet visit she would scratch to get out of her tank, run around, scratch everything. No digging signs though, she was eating everything in her dish and always seemed super hungry. About two weeks ago she stopped eating, she looked plumper, so we thought maybe she was going to lay. She's been lazy sitting in her tree. Hasn't pooped in over a week, even with warm bathes.

Winter hit early about 3 weeks ago, my boyfriend never really seen her go into a full brumation. I'm worried she could either go egg bound or is just ready to brumate? Unfortunately we don't have the $150 right now to get x-rays to see if she has eggs. Does anyone have advice on how keep her healthy for now?
Welcome to the forum.. yes she can become gravid and lay infertile eggs and she can also retain sperm and lay fertile eggs.. Have you felt her belly when in the bath when she flattens out if she's plump and not eating you may feel the eggs in her belly (just be sure not to push too hard) ..
if she's not eating alot now she won't be pooping alot, however it's important that she poops before brumating... I would prepare for getting xrays if she continues as they can develop issues and eggs can rupture causing bad infections. Try increasing the water temp a bit, you can give her pure pumpkin (100% pure canned) maybe get some hornworms (for hydration) and keep trying to get her to poop

MissJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
Me and my bf both thought we felt eggs, we started introducing her to calcium. He wasn't very informed when he first got them, so we are learning what they need right now. There's so many opinions on what is good, what is not. I was giving her fluekers calcium with d3, that apparently is horrible for them. So i kept the rep-cal calcium. I thought maybe that jumped her to being gravid. But no signs of her trying to dig. I am going to try the pumpkin tomorrow.

The one vet said she looked fine, felt no eggs. But we both felt rushed out of the office :/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Unfortunately brumation mimics other things so It's important if there is something weird going on to have it checked out. She's at the age where she could fully brumate but if you are worried about eggs and she hasn't pooped, that really needs to be looked at by a vet that specializes in reptiles.

At the bottom of my comment and hdrydr's comments there are links to general care, you should check them out if you haven't There's lots of great info on what these guys need.

MissJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, winter hit early and my bf's other beardie went into brumation a couple of days ago. We are watching her, and taking her for a xray next week. Also, she digs in the bathroom sink, but she won't dig in the bath tub or her enclosure. She did that last night and when i drained it to re-fill it, she freaked out and wanted back in.

Is that normal behaviour for a possible gravid female? I'll check out the links, there's just so much information, it's hard to pick what might be right.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, a gravid female well certainly want to dig. And won't be happy if you try to stop her from it. Have you made a lay box for her just in case?

MissJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, a gravid female well certainly want to dig. And won't be happy if you try to stop her from it. Have you made a lay box for her just in case?
Yes, i tried introducing her to it, had it mixed with warm water and a clamp light, she hates it. She just tries to climb out of it. So why would she exhibit digging behaviour in a sink? lol

Latest posts