• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fella - no appetite and yellow urate

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone

I’ve got an old beardy who has been acting off for a while now, I’ve been back and forth from the vets a few times over the last few months but we can’t pin point what’s wrong. I’m not ready to give up on him just yet so hoping some folks here can help.

Fella is a male and around 10 years old.

1658063827039.png

2/3 months ago he started to go off his food. Usually would wake early each day, bask, poop eat some veggies (usually some butternut and greens) then rest on his favourite rock. As time has gone by he’s completely lost his appetite. First the appetite for veggies went, now live food (even wax worm treats). The main worrier was the yellow urates (like proper yellow) which would also be quite solid. We assumed that this might be due to a lack of dehydration and we visited the vets.
  • They felt an impaction and we managed to clear this at the vets (they kept him in for a couple nights)
  • Took an xray - looked OK apart from impaction
  • They gave him some fluid injections
  • Stool sample check for parasites - came back clean
  • Took some bloods - everything OK
  • He dos have a slight heart murmur

He’s been home for a few weeks now and the appetite is still not there. I thought maybe the problem might be more environmental (our other beardie is also a bit lethargic atm although eating well but shedding which might be the issue), so I checked the UV levels with some cards that turn purple but they were fine (thought the bulbs might have been a bad batch or something).

Right now we’re doing multiple water feeds a day and some reptile feed every other day (he’s not taking much of the feed though). I can sometimes get him to eat some butternut by cutting it into long triangle shapes and gently push them into his mouth, he munches it up but spits it out 50% of the time.

Here’s the viv setup:

1658063784263.png

1658063807125.png

Thanks in advance!

Luke

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone

I’ve got an old beardy who has been acting off for a while now, I’ve been back and forth from the vets a few times over the last few months but we can’t pin point what’s wrong. I’m not ready to give up on him just yet so hoping some folks here can help.

Fella is a male and around 10 years old.

View attachment 32441

2/3 months ago he started to go off his food. Usually would wake early each day, bask, poop eat some veggies (usually some butternut and greens) then rest on his favourite rock. As time has gone by he’s completely lost his appetite. First the appetite for veggies went, now live food (even wax worm treats). The main worrier was the yellow urates (like proper yellow) which would also be quite solid. We assumed that this might be due to a lack of dehydration and we visited the vets.
  • They felt an impaction and we managed to clear this at the vets (they kept him in for a couple nights)
  • Took an xray - looked OK apart from impaction
  • They gave him some fluid injections
  • Stool sample check for parasites - came back clean
  • Took some bloods - everything OK
  • He dos have a slight heart murmur

He’s been home for a few weeks now and the appetite is still not there. I thought maybe the problem might be more environmental (our other beardie is also a bit lethargic atm although eating well but shedding which might be the issue), so I checked the UV levels with some cards that turn purple but they were fine (thought the bulbs might have been a bad batch or something).

Right now we’re doing multiple water feeds a day and some reptile feed every other day (he’s not taking much of the feed though). I can sometimes get him to eat some butternut by cutting it into long triangle shapes and gently push them into his mouth, he munches it up but spits it out 50% of the time.

Here’s the viv setup:

View attachment 32439

View attachment 32440

Thanks in advance!

Luke
What is your distance for the UVB ? It looks good and how old is the bulb? Its a T 5 I am assuming?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is your distance for the UVB ? It looks good and how old is the bulb? Its a T 5 I am assuming?
I got some more insight on the issue and she has asked this
What is the temp. all thru the tank ? Try some Repashy grub pie, many beardies like it and it's very nutritious. You can add a few drops of raw honey to whatever you give him, sometimes that can spark the appetite as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another response I got back
Hello,

Is he losing weight right now? Have you reviewed your tank setup with anyone yet?
You can also try some bee pollen for help with boosting his appetite too.

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
Another response I got back
Hello,

Is he losing weight right now? Have you reviewed your tank setup with anyone yet?
You can also try some bee pollen for help with boosting his appetite too.
I've not reviewed with anyone no, this tank is very similar to the one he was in most of his life but willing to have any input on this. I guess you meant share on the other area of the forum right?

He has lost some weight, he's gone from 515g to 489g over about 6 weeks :( I think the vet did say he was slightly over weight before but that still alarms me

We tried some repashy (or the equivalent) when he was well and he turned his nose up lol

Right now he's only taking water (which he took a load of from me with some repto boost earlier). More butternut triangles for him in the morning!

In terms of temps the basking spot is around 43 (this actually seems high to me) the cooler end is normally around 24-28, getting cooler in the night. Perhaps I need to move the basking bulb back a bit?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've not reviewed with anyone no, this tank is very similar to the one he was in most of his life but willing to have any input on this. I guess you meant share on the other area of the forum right?

He has lost some weight, he's gone from 515g to 489g over about 6 weeks :( I think the vet did say he was slightly over weight before but that still alarms me

We tried some repashy (or the equivalent) when he was well and he turned his nose up lol

Right now he's only taking water (which he took a load of from me with some repto boost earlier). More butternut triangles for him in the morning!

In terms of temps the basking spot is around 43 (this actually seems high to me) the cooler end is normally around 24-28, getting cooler in the night. Perhaps I need to move the basking bulb back a bit?
I would continue to monitor his weight -- what color is the urate now? And are you giving supplements to maybe turn the urate yellow? I would look at dropping the surface basking temps to 95 F - 100 F-- 43 is a little warm for a older dragon --

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would continue to monitor his weight -- what color is the urate now? And are you giving supplements to maybe turn the urate yellow? I would look at dropping the surface basking temps to 95 F - 100 F-- 43 is a little warm for a older dragon --
I've adjusted the angle of the basking bulb and will re-check temps. May need to move it if that doesn't work.

Urate still a little yellow. I can grab a pic tomorrow morning if that's not too vulgar for this site lol

He's not on any supplementals right now, normally would calcium dust the crickets but he's not interested in them now :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've adjusted the angle of the basking bulb and will re-check temps. May need to move it if that doesn't work.

Urate still a little yellow. I can grab a pic tomorrow morning if that's not too vulgar for this site lol

He's not on any supplementals right now, normally would calcium dust the crickets but he's not interested in them now :(
Yes please post a pic of the urate - so we can rule out calcium as a culprit to the yellow urate-- try some dubia roaches see if he will eat those

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's one from this morning, it's not as bad as it has been:

1658233255622.png

I will try and find an older pic for reference later on tonight

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm struggling to find a more representative picture. I'll keep up with the feeds and try him with bugs for a while. The urates have been more yellow than this though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm struggling to find a more representative picture. I'll keep up with the feeds and try him with bugs for a while. The urates have been more yellow than this though.
Ok what do you mean try him w/ bugs? Are you not feeding insects 2-3 times per week?

BobTheBeardling

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just mean to try and get him to eat his bugs. He's not interested in eating anything at the moment. When he was eating we would be feeding dusted crickets every 2/3 days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just mean to try and get him to eat his bugs. He's not interested in eating anything at the moment. When he was eating we would be feeding dusted crickets every 2/3 days.
Try a different insect - have you tried dubia roaches -- they will get tired of eating the same thing

Latest posts