• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding

jas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all looking for advise my beardy sprocket has stopped eating.recently moved house twice first place we were was cold so kept his viv heated with ceramic bulb to keep temp up.now we have relocated again been here for 8 weeks but he won't eat his hoppers or morio worms.no sign of inaction active in morning then digs and sleeps a lot more than before.he's just a year old any ideas.
Thanks jas

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all looking for advise my beardy sprocket has stopped eating.recently moved house twice first place we were was cold so kept his viv heated with ceramic bulb to keep temp up.now we have relocated again been here for 8 weeks but he won't eat his hoppers or morio worms.no sign of inaction active in morning then digs and sleeps a lot more than before.he's just a year old any ideas.
Thanks jas

Sorry to hear that Sprocket isn't wanting to eat. I guess I would start with his lighting and his temp in his viv, making sure that those are working well, make sure that the bulbs are not in need of replacing. Then I would make sure that you do a good exam on him to make sure that you don't see anything wrong visually. Is he pooping/peeing? if so does it look normal for him? what does he look like? is he skinny? are his eye's sunk in? Have you tried anything different for him to eat insect wise? Then there is the possibility that he is going into brumimation where they shut down/ slow down/ stop eating for a period of time. This can be days or months long... If he is then you offer food, a soak a few times a week then you let them be.

jas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi thanks for reply viv temps are good and uv lamp ok 6 months old .he's not pooed for 3 weeks but that was normal looking.will try some different bugs to see if helps.he had his bath earlier and good look over him all seems normal eyes are ok as far as we can tell.il keep watch and hopefully he will wake himself up in time.will also do some homework on brumation as first beardy I've owned so still learning .

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi thanks for reply viv temps are good and uv lamp ok 6 months old .he's not pooed for 3 weeks but that was normal looking.will try some different bugs to see if helps.he had his bath earlier and good look over him all seems normal eyes are ok as far as we can tell.il keep watch and hopefully he will wake himself up in time.will also do some homework on brumation as first beardy I've owned so still learning .

I hear ya I'm new to dragons too, I do know that some brumate some do not...Usually it occurs once they become a year old.. I would imagine that's so they get their growing in and leveled off...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Some brumate and some don't mine usually just slow down in the winter. My boy went to sleep for 2 days a few months ago. Just make sure you have a hide preferably on the cool side of the tank if he wants to brumate then he will probably go in there and sleep.

What type of UVB light do you have and is it sitting on top of mesh? Typically lights that are placed on mesh need to be replaced every 6 months.

I would start to be concerned that it's been 3 weeks since the last poop. Make sure you are keeping him hydrated, drip water on the tip of his nose to get him to drink and give frequent baths and stir the water around to encourage him to drink. Another thing that helps are things like olive oil dripped on a green or canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).

Latest posts