• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding schedule for baby dragon

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have been reading and see that there are mentions of feeding 2 -3 times per day, only feeding protien every other day, greens everyday, or small amounts of protien everyday, fruit as treat only.... Any one have a great caresheet for a baby dragon? I was planning to feed him about 5 roaches each day ( have reptiworms ordered), and all the greens/veggies he can eat with fruit mixed in a couple times per week and a calcium supp once a week.

Would love to hear how others are feeding their babies and how often.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
as a general rule its as many crickets or roaches as they will eat in a 10 to 15 minute period twice a day as babies. greens every day and i also add fruit one day then veggies the next. i also as many others do, dust their bugs with calcium once per day and then on sunday with vitamin supplement. also the rule is that live prey must be no larger than the space between their eyes so 5 appropriately sized roaches per day will not be enough. a baby will typically eat 10 to 20 crickets twice per day. their first year is critical towards growth and development so proper feeding can be the difference between a 300 gram dragon or a 6 to 700 gram dragon. underfed animals also do not have the opportunity to develop the fat pads needed for brumation as adults. reptiworms are great for babies since they are high in calcium and protein but are usually considered a supplement and not a staple. just my two cents worth.

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you VERY much. I ordered the reptiworms because they seemed smaller and no shell so figured they would be easier for him to eat until he grows a little. The smallest roaches I have are pushing the largest size for him to eat. I will start feeding him them 2 x per day. I want a large healthy boy!

americanbeardeddragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We work with the 70% meat and 30% veggi rule. We provide veggi in a bowel in the am so they have it to feed off all day and then we start with the Dubia when i get home from work. The babies will consume 2 to 3 a day sometimes more. We stat them with the small 1/4" guys and they love them. I have added the nutritional level of a variety of bugs.Dubia are great food for the little guys. If you need any just send me email

Species Moisture % Protein % Fat % Ash %
Dubia Roach 61 % 36 % 7 % 2 %
Trukistan Roach 64 % 37 % 5.5 % 2 %
Crickets 74% 18% 6% 1%
Mealworm 59 % 10 % 13 % 1 %
Silkworm 76 % 64 % 10 % 7.5 %
Phoenixworm N/A 17 % 9.5% N/A
Superworm 59 % 20 % 16 % 1 %
Waxworm 61 % 16 % 11 % 1 %

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Americanbearded dragons - how much for some small dubia? I just started my colony, so have very limited amount although if he eats like he did this am they will last weeks... only ate 1! Will be trying again tonight when I get home. Let me know how much. I live in Wisconsin also, is this going to be a problem for shipping? It is currently in the 30s at night. ( sorry couldn't figure out how to email... lol)

Latest posts