• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding questions

volsfn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello all. I just got a dragon from a lady that is approximately 5 years old. Her feeding instructions weren't very clear, from what she said she just gets so many crickets and puts them all in his cage. Also she said she could never get him to eat any greens or veggies. She fed him superworms and nature zone bearded dragon bites, but didn't say how much or how often. She also didn't specify how much or how often to dust his food with calcium. If anybody could give me some input on this i would appreciate it. Thank you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm, sounds like she was just getting rid of the poor fellow. Here's a link to our basic caresheet. It goes over everything for you. The adult care is broken down separately from baby care. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.

Bearded Dragon Care

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI, and welcome. Yeah give the caresheet a read and ask away.
Were here to help.

volsfn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Do you have any suggestions on getting him to eat greans/salad since she never really got him to eat them, or is there someway to substitute this. I don't want him starving .

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well lets see

Good daily staples are collards / endive / dandelion
Mix in some butternut (Almost every dragon Ive read about loves it)
Also once in a while add something for a treat like strawberry / raspberries / mango

And then KIWI. Mine goes nuts for it. It also works well to get them to start eating salads. So for a little while you can squeese the juice over the salad or put little chunks on it and then as your BD starts to take to salad eating you can make the kiwi less and less till its just salad.

Then the kiwi as a treat about once a week
Also remove the pits from the kiwi before feeding.

I have also heard bright colours attract their attention like red bell peppers / strawerry etc....
So you can give it a try also

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my little one to eat her veggies by putting red things, bell pepper and strawberries, and also kiwi. I also like to roll blueberries around in her viv, I like to watch her chase them. I also got her interested in her salad by putting a couple of worms in there b/c it made it move so she would eat it trying to figure out why it was moving. Just keep putting it in there and she will eat it. Since she is older you can also try tough love and with hold live feeders for a day or so with the exception of the worms to make the salad move. I would first just give her a chance to settle in for a couple of weeks and find her salad on her own. Another thing I do is hand feed the first little bit of salads to my dragons then they go to their dish and finish eating.

Latest posts