• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding juvinile beardie

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! This is Pancake we have had him about a week now.
View attachment IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4192.jpeg

According to our local family owned pet store he is 7-9 months old and measuring 12” long. I feel it is a bit small for his age. I am aware he was not being fed properly at pet store they told me to feed protein source dusted with calcium every couple days and veggie’s and fruits everyday. We feed him protein everyday once a day with calcium dusting 5 days and dust with calcium plus D3 2 days and give greens and veggies everyday. We give fruit a couple times a week as a treat. He eats 20 gut loaded crickets (we feed our crickets and worms a variety of foods) and 2-4 super worms a day. My questions are should we split this in two meals or is once a day good? Should he be eating more protein? He seems satisfied all day but has cut back a little on the salad consumption. Sorry about the thermometers in tank, I was checking temps that day. We recently got a heat pad for cool side to bring temp up a few degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone! This is Pancake we have had him about a week now.
View attachment 35303
View attachment 35304
According to our local family owned pet store he is 7-9 months old and measuring 12” long. I feel it is a bit small for his age. I am aware he was not being fed properly at pet store they told me to feed protein source dusted with calcium every couple days and veggie’s and fruits everyday. We feed him protein everyday once a day with calcium dusting 5 days and dust with calcium plus D3 2 days and give greens and veggies everyday. We give fruit a couple times a week as a treat. He eats 20 gut loaded crickets (we feed our crickets and worms a variety of foods) and 2-4 super worms a day. My questions are should we split this in two meals or is once a day good? Should he be eating more protein? He seems satisfied all day but has cut back a little on the salad consumption. Sorry about the thermometers in tank, I was checking temps that day. We recently got a heat pad for cool side to bring temp up a few degrees.
Please get a better uvb-- the one your using is not of good quality - surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- your getting ambient temps - he should be eating more crickets than 20 a day - are you feeding large crickets- I would get him some dubias roaches they are a better feeder - he needs salads like your feeding every day I would offer him a second feeding of crickets and add some roaches maybe some silk worms - super worms 3 every other day- if you need help w/ the uvb I can post links to 3 good ones

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a better uvb-- the one your using is not of good quality - surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- your getting ambient temps - he should be eating more crickets than 20 a day - are you feeding large crickets- I would get him some dubias roaches they are a better feeder - he needs salads like your feeding every day I would offer him a second feeding of crickets and add some roaches maybe some silk worms - super worms 3 every other day- if you need help w/ the uvb I can post links to 3 good ones
Yes hes eating large crickets. The uvb bulb is a 10.0 bulb not sure what you mean by not being good quality please expand on this? There are 2 digital thermometers in tank with hydrometers and I do have a probe thermometer and it reads the same temperatures. That day I was trying to see what the temp was directly under the heat source and low to ground on cool side of tank. I use multiple ways to take temps in his tank as I know thermometers can be off I use average temp and adjust accordingly. The links would be great thank you for your advice.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes hes eating large crickets. The uvb bulb is a 10.0 bulb not sure what you mean by not being good quality please expand on this? There are 2 digital thermometers in tank with hydrometers and I do have a probe thermometer and it reads the same temperatures. That day I was trying to see what the temp was directly under the heat source and low to ground on cool side of tank. I use multiple ways to take temps in his tank as I know thermometers can be off I use average temp and adjust accordingly. The links would be great thank you for your advice.
The UVB is a coil type if I am thinking correctly - you want a long tube fixture like this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this has a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture so you would need to change it out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or
this one - it can be found at Pet Smart you want the 12% 24 watt bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
or this one
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture w/ the 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb I posted above -
Depending on the screen distance and placement will be determined by that -

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also he is given crickets until he stops eating them 20 seems to be the average. The super worms he is portioned out bc I know worms can be fatty. He ends with a potbelly that lasts the day and has started to cut back on his salad intake. That is why I ask about the amount of protein source hes eating daily bc I worry hes too full to eat his salad or perhaps if he should be eating more protein maybe being picky?
The UVB is a coil type if I am thinking correctly - you want a long tube fixture like this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this has a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture so you would need to change it out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or
this one - it can be found at Pet Smart you want the 12% 24 watt bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
or this one
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture w/ the 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb I posted above -
Depending on the screen distance and placement will be determined by that -
it is not a coil type it is a tube 10.0 reptisun. He has a reptisun 100w heat light and black ceramic for night I think is what you are thinking is the uvb.

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also he is given crickets until he stops eating them 20 seems to be the average. The super worms he is portioned out bc I know worms can be fatty. He ends with a potbelly that lasts the day and has started to cut back on his salad intake. That is why I ask about the amount of protein source hes eating daily bc I worry hes too full to eat his salad or perhaps if he should be eating more protein maybe being picky?

it is not a coil type it is a tube 10.0 reptisun. He has a reptisun 100w heat light and black ceramic for night I think is what you are thinking is the uvb.
his hammock is placed under the uvb I know the screen can reduce the amount of light that actually comes through. The hammock is positioned 8” from screen

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Yes I sent links to replace the UVB that you have now- please show me the bulb in that fixture - I have seen them before and they are not a good UVB ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
his hammock is placed under the uvb I know the screen can reduce the amount of light that actually comes through. The hammock is positioned 8” from screen
I recommend you change out the UVB ---- get it placed for the screen on the tank - at this point hes not getting much UVB -- I cannot stress this enough - for a fine screen mesh the UVB needs to be ubobstructed / NO screen or inside the tank directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- those are for the ones I posted above - please post a pic of the UVB bulb your using

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes I sent links to replace the UVB that you have now- please show me the bulb in that fixture - I have seen them before and they are not a good UVB ---
you are right it is coil type I was
I recommend you change out the UVB ---- get it placed for the screen on the tank - at this point hes not getting much UVB -- I cannot stress this enough - for a fine screen mesh the UVB needs to be ubobstructed / NO screen or inside the tank directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches --- those are for the ones I posted above - please post a pic of the UVB bulb your using
I checked your links and you are right it is a coil type. I apologize for the confusion. The petsore must have misunderstood my questions. I am unsure at this point if they know much about reptiles. I will replace with fixture you recommend. Thank you so much for all the advice I really want to make sure we are not making any mistakes and hes getting everything he needs!

conroy15

Bearded Dragon Egg

I checked your links and you are right it is a coil type. I apologize for the confusion. The petsore must have misunderstood my questions. I am unsure at this point if they know much about reptiles. I will replace with fixture you recommend. Thank you so much for all the advice I really want to make sure we are not making any mistakes and hes getting everything he needs!
https://a.co/d/eIlDj96 I replaced with this one it can attach inside to top of screen I hope that is sufficient?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Please don't listen to the pet store people they often give bad advice - if you have any questions please ask

Latest posts