• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding dubias...

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Question.. They dont seem to want to go in the little cut out tin foil pie tins to get the food. Its fine for the dog food to put loose in the bottom but I have a concoction of yams, greens, carrots etc that I dont want laying on the rubbermaid bottom..,, are the roaches good at hunting out food when hungry? I feel they are all staying in their egg flats and not going to the other side to get the food.. they wont starve to death will they? when they get hungry they will go looking for food?

maybe a stupid question but to me its a good one..

thanks

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is no stupid question! I would just make sure the food is accessible. The roaches may not be able to get traction on a pie tin... could you put out the food on a paper towel or a dedicated roach tupperware?
Once you're sure they can crawl up to where the food is, let them do the rest. Somehow they survive in a lot of households!

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya i just got a small tupperware container today and cut out the side so it lays flat to the ground. put a lid on it with some holes. I am only going to put it in there over night because i dont want mold or fruit flies.. someone said they are nocturnal so I think thats a good idea.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it normal to open the lid at any given moment on the dubia colony and rarely see any near the food? I have a heaping mix of yam, carrot, dog food, some greens and something else in front of their egg crates on the floor and then beside that mix I have a slice of naval orange. I just feel like none of them are coming down ever to get food and staying in their flats. the odd is walking around the bottom. I have maybe about 120-150 in there and only maybe 1 or 2 is near the food or around the perimiter on the opposite side of the heat and egg flats.

What I am doing is putting in the wet mix (ice cube thawed out) with the orange around 10 at night then take it out in the morning because i read they are nocturnal??? I dont want mold or fruit flies. but I have some dog food pellets in there all the time and some organic quick oats scattered about also.

sound ok?

Latest posts