• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Extremely Malnourished Dragon. Please Help!!

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I had recently gotten a new dragon in terrible condition. I had gone into my local pet store to get some crickets for my other beardies. I noticed a sad little dragon sitting in a tank with a larger male, just skin and bones. The store owner received him from a family whose daughter didn't want him anymore. I couldn't turn him away so I took him in.
The reason i'm here is I need help caring for this little guy. His head and legs shake and quiver whenever he moves, if he focuses on food he will also shake. You can feel every little vertebrae in his spine down to his tail, his hip bones protrude wider than his tail. his skin is very baggy and he seems dehydrated. His jaw is displaced and off to the side, he cannot even take two steps without tumbling over.
My heart goes out to this sweet dragon, and I want to give him the best care that I can. I need a little advise on how to fatten him up and what I can do to better his life. I don't have anything he can climb up on and fall, he tends to stay in one spot but I don't want to take the risk. I've managed to get him to take crickets from me but I know crickets alone won't get him to the right weight. He does this thing where it seems like he is gasping for air, he will open up his mouth and take a deep breath, you can hear him gasp. Is he having trouble breathing? I know healthy dragons gape their mouths to vent when warm, but he isn't under his lamp when he does it. I really could use some advise to help figure out what's wrong with him..I'm guessing he had gotten little to no calcium and no uvb in his previous home, so maybe MBD? Please give me some ideas about what it could be and how I can help.
large.jpg

-Adorable Happy Face!
large.jpg

-Poor baby, so skinny. (he is 2)
large.jpg

-Lots of extra skin, ribs and back bone visible.
large.jpg

-Protruding hip bones, skinny tail and thighs.
large.jpg

-I didn't get the photo in time, he opens his mouth wide and gasps for air.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is he? Metabolic bone disease is a real good possibility. He's also probably got a little bit of muscle wasting. Little guy need some protein and some calories. He maybe gasping for air because it's hard for him to breath. Or he may have an infection. You might want to try some chicken baby food in a dropper. It's good protein source and he doesn't have to chase it down. A little physical therapy on those wasted muscles will probably help too. Massage them a little bit and move them up and down like you would if you were playing with a babies legs. Easy does it. Don't forget to add some calcium powder to the baby food. It didn't happen overnight it ain't going to go away overnight. Don't panic with him. Let him know that you have the best intentions. Do what you can and turn him over to God. You just might be his angel

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, it really helps, and I cant thank you enough for the help. I'll do everything you had mentioned and maybe update this thread in a month or so. It just sickens me what people can do to these animals.
I'll take him in to my local vet to see if I vould get some tests done later on, I dont want him stressed too much.
Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I forgot to add that I was told he is about 2, he is very small compared to my full grown males. Im still trying to gain his trust, physical therapy might be a little hard at first, hopefully he will come around.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Two?? Years?? One step at a time. Please don't wait a month it will kill me.

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes he's two, poor guy. I have him taking food from me already, with his jaw the way it is it might be easy to get the syringe in. I can try to stimulate his muscles while I hold him. Poor guy is starving, he ate almost a whole bag of 50 large crickets, im not sure what will fill his tummy faster. I can get some baby food in the morning for him, maybe thatll make him feel full.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Try feeding him some worms. Not meal worms tho because they are harder to digest. Go to a bait shop or most gas stations usually have them and get some wax worms.cheap and fatty. Or if you want you can order horn worms(they are a great source of calcium)or the like online lots of places to order from.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Make sure u also put calc on the live prey i tend not to dust the salad mine eat more of it if i dnt dust them. ;) gud luk will the little 1 at least he gunna get thevproper care he needs now well done you. Its such a selfless and lovely thing u have done u shud b real proud of ur self :)

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
appropriate sized silkworms mixed with the naturally high calcium ratio horn worms would be a great combo. Silkworms produce an enzyme to help absorb calcium.

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im willing to try anything. I can pick up some nighycrawlers today. I can order the horns and silks online, they should be here in a couple days. I actually have some wax worms in my fridge, he seems to enjoy them, but because theyre so little they pop out of his mouth. I do dust everything, he wont touch his salad either if it's dusted.
Thank you everyone who replied, It really means alot. I'm sure if he could he'd thank you too. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Everyone has given good advise. A soft fatty worm like a horn, silk or wax will be the best bet to fatten them up. Fluker's also makes something I think it's called Repti Boost that has vitamins, minerals, protein etc in it. It's a powder, when my gecko's were sick I was willing to try anything and I would mix it with pedialyte and a little bit of liquid calcium. It seemed to give them a little boost.

Make sure he can get close enough to his basking light, even though he's 2 I would still get it up to 110 because he's so small. Also make sure he can get 6 inches from the UVB too.

Hugs to you for taking on an animal in dire need like this :) Good luck and we are all here to help you out!

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I orderd silks and horns earlier today and should be here tomorrow. I had already lowered his basking light fown, Illfigure out how to lower the uvb as well. The current temp is at 103, Im trying to get it a bit higher.

And thank you for the kind reply. I appreciate it, along with everyone elses replies.

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I hate to keep asking questions, but I was hoping I vould get a little more help with this guy. It is impossible to hold him, everytime I do he poos on me. I have waited to hold him after he goes, but he will poo again when I hold him. Is it normal to go to the bathroom 3 to 4 times a day? Does he just not like me? None of my other dragons have done this, they usually go to the bathroom every other day or every 3 days..Please help, I would like to be able to hold him

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Awe, I'm sorry he poops on you, but on the bright side, at least he's pooping :)

Again every one is different and sometimes they will go multiple times a day especially when they are small. Just make sure you keep him well hydrated.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Pooping frequency corelates to feeding frequency, from humans, to birds, cats / dogs, and i think our beardies too.

Both of mine poo 2-3 times daily. I also make sure they get feed till they stop activly eating breakfast, then with something that doesnt burrow ill had more for them to hunt while im out of the house for 11.5 hours then feed them dinner till they stop activly eating.

Also most reptiles, fish, and birds, and even a few mammals / rodents, musk. Its a natural deturant that is used when in fear to try to get a preditor to release the grip on them. It induces a foul scent and taste is the preditor's mouth causing it to let go.

DaenerysDragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed him twice a day, about 8roaches in the morning and maybe 5 in the evening, also a hornworm or silk worm. he is just hungry all the time. He tries to eat his own feet. I guess his muscle spasms are the reason, but he ripped up a toe pretty bad. I'm afraid to feed him too much. His poos are watery in the mornings and more solid at night.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You said you'd just recently got him. Because of his previous experience it may take him a little extra time to get used to you. He may not be very trusting of humans. Try approach and retreat. Don't pick him up just put your hand and In snd MAYBE sroke him. Try putting live prey in the palm of your hand and make him crawl on your fingers to get it. It's the rabbit and the hare - slow and steady.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Would also like to see an update on how this poor little guy is doing... Fingers crossed for him

Latest posts