• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra Sand Mat

Niko

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently purchased new flooring for my Beardies enclosure. It seems to be a new product.

It's called the Sand Mat and it's made by Exo Terra. However, I've noticed an extremely strong smell to it and it hasn't gone away or gotten any weaker. My beardie is active but I fear that the fumes could get to him. At night I notice he shoves his head into the corner of the 40 gal tank. Anybody heard anything about this product?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's nice to look at but I have heard about pieces of it breaking off and the beardie eating it. I haven't heard anything about the smell. Maybe leave it out in a well ventilated room until the smell goes away.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've heard the same thing about the pieces falling off.. not the smell but that would make sense has to have some adhesive to it..

kdavis

Bearded Dragon Egg
We bought one of these for our bearded dragon. He is about 6mths old. He spends his time split between 2 houses. When he is at the 1st home, he has this sand mat in his enclosure. At the 2nd home, he has paper towels in his enclosure. The mat has not lost its smell since we bought it 4 mths ago.the beardie has the smell in his skin. We noticed that when he is in the sand mat enclosure, his health declines. Doesnt want to use his back legs, doesnt eat like he should, smells like petroleum, constantly wants out and sleeps more. If he is in the paper towel lined cage, after a few hours, he totally recovers. This didnt dawn on me until last night. We threw the sand mat away. He must have a sensitivity to it. He goes every 2 mths for a check up at the vet for weight and nail check amd doesnt have other health issues.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We bought one of these for our bearded dragon. He is about 6mths old. He spends his time split between 2 houses. When he is at the 1st home, he has this sand mat in his enclosure. At the 2nd home, he has paper towels in his enclosure. The mat has not lost its smell since we bought it 4 mths ago.the beardie has the smell in his skin. We noticed that when he is in the sand mat enclosure, his health declines. Doesnt want to use his back legs, doesnt eat like he should, smells like petroleum, constantly wants out and sleeps more. If he is in the paper towel lined cage, after a few hours, he totally recovers. This didnt dawn on me until last night. We threw the sand mat away. He must have a sensitivity to it. He goes every 2 mths for a check up at the vet for weight and nail check amd doesnt have other health issues.
wow!

Latest posts