• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo terra Light Cycle Unit

Leroy1980

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm looking into fitting my vivarium with the Exo Terra light cycle unit. Has anyone/does anyone use this and does it work? Very limited information.
Planing to use 1x 42" reptile sun 10.0 and 1x repti glo 2.0.
Any info appreciated-
Cheers!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not familiar with the light cycle unit but a repti sun 10.0 is a good UVB bulb to use. Don't really see a need for the Repti Glo bulb. Bearded dragons need a UVB and a basking light, the Repti Glo bulbs don't give off any heat.

Leroy1980

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply. The light controller is a built in timer that simulates dawn and dusk by slowly turning the bulbs up and down over 30 minute periods at the beginning or end of 10,12 or 14 hours.
I used repti glo 2.0 in addition about five years ago when I had two beardies simply to add additional lighting to mimic the desert brightness as the old light controller from Exo terra was a simple on off using a timer, but you had to use two tunes to make it work.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That light controller sounds like cool thing to have. Just makes sense to slowly have the lights turn on in the morning as opposed to automatic bright light at 5am.

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Never used the light controller mine just turn on and off. I don't know how well it would work with your UVB fluorescents don't do well with dimmers and it may impact your light ballast.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would suggest instead that you buy a dimming timer for your basking light. Set it to come on a half hour before your UVB and go off a half hour after. Then buy a T5 fluorescent tube for UVB instead. It'll be brighter than your old two T8 lights combined, last you twice as long (only have to be replaced once a year) and actually cost you less. Plus you'll get about three times the uvb exposure.

Latest posts