• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Escape-proof bowl & timer recommendations

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
(1) Looking for recommendations for an escape-proof bowl for roachies that my sexy-legged tiny dragon can't flip over when doing gymnastics during feeding times...? Bonus points if it's low enough to the ground or clear so that he can see into it. Ideally, I'd love for it to be "natural looking" (like a rock or something), but that's not totally necessary.

My beardie is NOT a fan of eating from a bowl yet, and would rather me hand feed him his greens and chase his roachies around the viv like the tiny hunter he sees himself as. I'm currently using a very cheap, flimsy escape-proof bowl from dubiaroaches.com (see pic) but it's totally not gonna' work out longterm.

(2) Also looking for a plugin timer for my lights, so my partner doesn't have to worry about turning them on/off while I'm gone for a month! Recommendations are very welcome! Are dimmer switches necessary? It does get quite warm after his heat lamp has been on all day, but he's fully capable of going into cooler parts of the viv if he gets too hot.

(Don't worry, Bagels the beardie will be very well taken care of in my absence by my partner. A timer just makes it that much easier for everyone.)

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.07.02 PM.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Made of glass I have two of them they work great except after the roaches get to big
I believe any lamp and appliance timer will work - I have one that was handed down to me from the first beardie we acquired its a Chicago brand it seems to work fine -
Dimmers are not necessary - I would look at getting a piece of decor that offers different heat gradients - something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
This piece offers different places to sit stand lay against or sleep under - look for something like that - if that doesnt work maybe lower the decor or lower the wattage on the bulb

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Made of glass I have two of them they work great except after the roaches get to big
I believe any lamp and appliance timer will work - I have one that was handed down to me from the first beardie we acquired its a Chicago brand it seems to work fine -
Dimmers are not necessary - I would look at getting a piece of decor that offers different heat gradients - something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
This piece offers different places to sit stand lay against or sleep under - look for something like that - if that doesnt work maybe lower the decor or lower the wattage on the bulb
I've seen a few pics of folks with that kind of bowl. Was definitely considering it as an option.

He does have a long branch with gradients of heat available, plus two hides (one on cool side and one on hot). But most of the time he's chilling at the top of his hammock, watching people through the window and/or the tv (when it's on).

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
(2) Also looking for a plugin timer for my lights, so my partner doesn't have to worry about turning them on/off while I'm gone for a month! Recommendations are very welcome! Are dimmer switches necessary? It does get quite warm after his heat lamp has been on all day, but he's fully capable of going into cooler parts of the viv if he gets too hot.

I would look into smart plugs. They're small wifi connected plugs readily available and inexpensive on Amazon.

They connect to an app which you can use to schedule them to turn on and off as needed.

I use smart plugs in addition to inkbird temperature controllers to both keep my lights on when needed and also keep my tank at the desired temperature.
20210331_193912.jpg20210404_142545.jpg

I have the smart life app connected to Amazon Alexa and have routines set up to turn everything on and off with sunrise/sunset.
Screenshot_20210707-202631_Smart Life.jpgScreenshot_20210707-202711_Amazon Alexa.jpg

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
The tank lights turn on at sunrise with an auxiliary heater that assists with getting the temperature to the setpoint faster. It's all connected to a temperature controller to maintain 97 degrees during the day.

The tank heater is connected to a temperature controller that only kicks on when the tank drops below 70 degrees at night.

Dragonbunny313

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would look into smart plugs. They're small wifi connected plugs readily available and inexpensive on Amazon.

They connect to an app which you can use to schedule them to turn on and off as needed.

I use smart plugs in addition to inkbird temperature controllers to both keep my lights on when needed and also keep my tank at the desired temperature.
View attachment 28240View attachment 28241

I have the smart life app connected to Amazon Alexa and have routines set up to turn everything on and off with sunrise/sunset.
View attachment 28242View attachment 28243
My wifi is inconsistent, so I was specifically looking for something not connected to the Internet. We ended up getting *this* one (see pic)! My partner set it up, as I am out of town now, and he said it works great!

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.03.58 PM.png