• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

envrotile

Blu

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have been doing a lot of research and there are lots of debate over sand. Never having a bearded dragon before I got really worried and decided to find something else. I read where some people get textured tiles for the bottom and I liked that ideal. So after going to Lowes, Walmart and home depots I found an outside textured tile called envirotile. It is made of recycled tires. It's water proof, somewhat flexible and easy to cut down to fit just right. I got to tiles (18in d 18in) and put it in. Has anyone else heard of this tile and tried it? So far I like it and Dundee doesn't seem to mind it either.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There really is not any founded controversy on using sand as a substrate. The facts are that washed, sifted children's playsand is a perfectly viable and safe option as a substrate for appropriately sized, healthy and well hydrated dragons and has been used by hundreds of breeders and keepers for decades WITHOUT a single documented incident.
There are requirements though before using it and that is that the dragon be healthy, well hydrated and at least 10+ inches in length from snout tip to tail tip. If those requirements are not met first then your dragon is not safe on any particulate substrate period.

Washed,Sifted, Children's Playsand does not clump when wet and if ingested will pass safely through the system. Also dragons usually will not ingest it if they are well hydrated and healthy to begin with.

There are many particulate substrates on the market which thought being safe for dragons but that in fact are not. In particular are the Calci-sand, Excavator Sand and Crushed Walnut Shells.
These products bind up if wetted and pose significant impaction risks so should never be used. Calci-sand claims that if ingested it will be absorbed into the dragons system but the facts are that it does not absorb quickly enough.
Washed Sifted Children's Playsand is the only viable and proven safe choice. Period. Those are the real facts:)

As far as the reclaimed rubber tiles I have looked at them but have read reports that they are known for having mold and fungus quickly form on them when used in landscaping. I also question what fumes they may emit when they are heated as would be the case when put into an enclosure under basking lights.
That may not be an issue outdoors where there is plenty of fresh air but in an enclosure where the air exchange is slower could be and is a risk I wouldn't take.
I can also tell you from personal experience as a 27 year veteran long haul trucker that I have hauled many many loads of tires and there are serious fumes that come off of them. So much so that many food companies will not load their products in a trailer that has hauled tires in it previously until the trailer is thoroughly cleaned and not odor is present.
Long and short I wouldn't use them and take the risk.
There are plenty of safe options for use as substrate in your dragon's enclosure. Some of which include slate tiles, non stick vinyl flooring, simple paper tiles,etc.
Your best choice would be to choose from an established safe one of these. Later when your dragon is old enough and big enough if you want to use particulate substrate then go with the Washed, Sifted Children's Playsand.
Enjoy!

Latest posts