• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Entertainment unit turned Beardie Home!

Tabitha

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_20131205_102223_zps0b5a27b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I'm starting a project, building Bella's permanent home! I have been having trouble keeping her temps up and my utility bill down with her in a 55g aquarium. Ive had to go to a 200watt basking bulb and keep a 60watt ceramic heat bulb on 24/7 to get proper temps in this weather were having! She has grown from 8" in august to nearly 14" now. Her current tank at 13" front-back is just too small.
So I was originally going to build a standard 4'x2'x2' melamine enclosure until I found this baby for $30 in my local thrift shop! What a steal!
5' long by 20"deep by 30" high! A little narrower than I had planned but the length and height make up for it!
[URL=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Tabitha_Maahs/media/IMG_20131205_102223_zps0b5a27b5.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Tabitha_Maahs/media/IMG_20131208_191714_zps4a569869.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Tabitha_Maahs/media/IMG_20131208_201458_zps483a6f51.jpg.html][/URL]

So far I have gutted the sucker - boy was that different than I anticipated. I ended up taking a power saw to the dividers inside. After finally getting the thing gutted I sanded down the leftover dowels sticking up (what was holding thdividers inside) and using some wood putty to fill holes. I also went out and bought two 4"x10" vents that open and close for me to control ventilation. And my birch plywood for the back.
My next steps are to order my vinyl flooring (custom size roll) from Home depot and wait for it to come in. I will be sealing the entire interior with Polycrylic (water based, low VOC wood sealant) and then gluing the flooring down the sides back and bottom. I will be using 1/4" plexi for the sliding doors.
The interior furniture is what I'm having trouble planning out.
While I like the looks of the diy foam rocks/background...I don't want to do that. Working on a time and budget limit here as well as the fact that I would like less permanent decor. I'm the type of girl who looks at her house everycouple months and says everything needs rearranged :p so I would like to be able to change Bella's furniture as well based on her growth and positioning for optimal basking etc.
I don't like driftwood/rocks much for two reasons. One, its nearly impossible to find good pieces in my area (pet stores suck, bad time of year to find wild). Two, I don't like wobble of any kind...I'm paranoid about something falling on her.
I'm toying with the idea of building shelf/ramp kind of structures for her. I want to take advantage of the height of the enclosure as much as possible. I have not been able to ind many examples of this kind of thing....
Any tips pictures etc on how and out of what I might build a shelf/ramp system would be much appreciated!
I was thinking of using plywood and small L shelf brackets..
Let me know what you all think, advice and pictures/links are welcomed!!
I will be posting picture updates as I go along! Only have a couple hours a night (and only a couple nights per week) to workon it.

Latest posts