• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure lighting

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
With the Reptisun 10.0 you can go with a fairly tall enclosure. Are you mounting it on the inside or will you set it on top of the enclosure? If you sit it on top, a decent percentage of the light waves will get absorbed by the screen so you won't be able to go as high with the enclosure. I believe they need a minimum of 9 inches from the light if mounted on the inside but Jarich has a much better grasp of this than I do. With that said, the taller you make can it, the better to allow for more climbing heights.

joshua123

Hatchling Dragon
With the Reptisun 10.0 you can go with a fairly tall enclosure. Are you mounting it on the inside or will you set it on top of the enclosure? If you sit it on top, a decent percentage of the light waves will get absorbed by the screen so you won't be able to go as high with the enclosure. I believe they need a minimum of 9 inches from the light if mounted on the inside but Jarich has a much better grasp of this than I do. With that said, the taller you make can it, the better to allow for more climbing heights.
Actually I plan to cut a hole in the wire mesh for my uvb tube and basking bulb. I will be putting it on top so with the hole, the light and heat will still be able to go through without anything blocking infront. I plan to get my wood for basking first then I'll know roughly how high to make my tank. Do you think that's a better idea?

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
That'll work. I might be a little concerned about the ridgity of the screen with a hole cut in it but you could probably run a couple of perpendicular braces under the screen to give it additional reinforcement. Regardless, you're on the right track. If I could start over on my enclosure, I would have gone to 36" or more on the height.
I doubt the screen will absorb/block much of the heat but it does tend to gobble up the UVB rays. I had to fabricate brackets to mount my UVB on the inside. I just cut down some thin angle iron and drilled some holes. It worked out pretty well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 24

joshua123

Hatchling Dragon
Cool but I'll be using wire mesh for the top cover and acrylic for the tank, what do u think?

joshua123

Hatchling Dragon
That'll work. I might be a little concerned about the ridgity of the screen with a hole cut in it but you could probably run a couple of perpendicular braces under the screen to give it additional reinforcement. Regardless, you're on the right track. If I could start over on my enclosure, I would have gone to 36" or more on the height.
I doubt the screen will absorb/block much of the heat but it does tend to gobble up the UVB rays. I had to fabricate brackets to mount my UVB on the inside. I just cut down some thin angle iron and drilled some holes. It worked out pretty well.
But after cutting a hole in the wire mesh, won't the UVB light be able to pass through without anything blocking?

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, I imagine that will work or at least reduce the amount of blocked rays. The light housing has a built in deflector/reflector to redirect the rays from the tops and sides of the bulb towards the bottom where it will be useful. So, if you're cutting a hole in the mesh it's going to have to be about the same size as the width and length of the housing itself. That's why I worry about the rigidity of the mesh and its ability to hold up the fixture. I think you'll want to have some bracing on each end of the fixture to support it.

joshua123

Hatchling Dragon
Maybe I'll put it underneath the mesh and cable tie the fixture to it, hopefully it's not too heavy lol.

FLZooMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Drzebra - I haven't seen 36" or 48" bulbs. The max I've seen it 24", but sure, if I can find a 48" I'll do that. Thank you!

I have two Reptisun 10.0 HO T5 48" lights. I got them online at Petco.com. Something like $70 and it came with the tube light and not just the hood.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1439951618915.jpg
your future guys home is beautiful This is my Hefs house I'll have to remove things as he gets bigger and I'll be doing a large enclosure in about a year.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'm gonna try to post the pics on my computer cuz my phone won't let me go back far enough in my pics

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I did it. The pics are up .I sliced branches like little wood coins with a jigsaw.and glued them to a thin wood back. The bottom strips are a piece of lattice I took apart. Then I stained them with 2 different stains and clear coated it. The mouse door at the small end is for the heater .

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
View attachment 12949your future guys home is beautiful This is my Hefs house I'll have to remove things as he gets bigger and I'll be doing a large enclosure in about a year.

Thank you! I actually picked my guy up last Friday. He's been enjoying his new surroundings and doing well.

Your enclosure looks great! I like all the fine details you added.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 16

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1440024839011.jpg
Hef she'd his beard the other day . It was the first time I've seen his beard shed. Crazy looking

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1440107730877.jpg
He is so comfortable that's his daybed my daughter made it and I never would have expected him to love it so much.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1440107777938.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440107777938.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts