• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure Change

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
Hello all!

I had a slight question concerning Merlin and his current enclosure.
At the time we have a 55 gal tank that we were given (48" L x 12" D x 20" H | rough measurements).

The issues we have with this current setup are:
  1. With the current table it's on it is too high for Savannah (girlfiend) to be able to take off the screen and reach the bottom to assist with cleaning and/or feeding.
  2. As somewhat stated above - reaching down into the tank is a hassle.
  3. To do anything in the tank we have to remove the heat lamp from the screen just to remove the screen - a rather annoying hassle. (UVB is mounted inside)
  4. Due to the 12" depth, Merlin has some difficulty getting himself turned out at times if he's between the walls and his "perch". (He's around 18.5" from tip of snout to end of tail | 8 months old)
Beacuse of these issues/concerns - I've been toying with the idea of a Front Opening Glass Terrarium and I love their look based on what I've seen around this forum.
My only concern with this change is at the time the largest sized one we have available locally is a 36" L x 18" D x 18" H. (Listed here: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070851) < and we may have found a source that has one for even cheaper than the $160.99 listed here.

(O that note - we are about to be new homeowners, so our budget has to be around this price > my reasoning for not ordering a "higher-end" one online.)

I feel that the 18" depth would be ideal from Merlin and give him the space he's needing, but would the loss of 12" length to the tank be detrimental/unrecommended?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated on the matter!

Thank you,

-JM

Tabitha

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! My beardie is in the exact size aquarium as yours. I too am having the same problems with it. My beardie is only 14" however. Now in my weather, my basement apartment, poorly done and insulation, I am also having trouble with keeping temps up for her. Glass doesn't hold in the heat as well as wood would. This is why I am in the process of building an enclosure from an entertainment center I found for $30 used.
The sizes you mentioned that you can find, honestly probably aren't big enough. Lots of people say 48" long minimum... Ive seen the standard DIY 4'x2'x2 enclosures that are supposed to be big enough to house a beardie comfortably and I decided not to go with that..I feel that even that is too small however thats just my opinion. If we figure that a beardie may reach nearly two feet long, than he would be half the size of his enclosure...I know beardies are fairly lazy lol but after seeing my poor girl having issues turning herself around and getting out between the glass and her basking rock...I want to give her as much space as I can reasonably give her now. Would you ever consider building an enclosure for your guy? It gives you more freedom and isn't asexpensive as you may think. I was going to build a 6'lX3'deepX2or3' high enclosure but found a cheap entertainment unit with slightly smaller dimensions and went with that for cost effectiveness.
I figure it should cost around $250 for the entire setup, but you can certainly cut that down with different plans than mine. My vinyl flooring alone will cost nearly $50 alone just because I wanted a certain look and needs special ordered...
Just my $0 .02
Let us know what you decide! And good luck!

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
Tabitha,

I imagine that the temperature issue would be hard to overcome in a situation such as that! I have seen people line the outside of glass tanks with bunched up towels, in severe conditions, (about halfway up the glass) and that has aided in securing some higher temperatures throughout the tank, just don't keep them close to the heating bulb.

Also, would you consider posting photos of the entertainment center process? I would be highly interested to see the before and after product!

The 48" minimum is what I've read in a lot of places as well, and I fear shorting him the proper amount of space, but he's also become more lethargic since it takes a considerable amount of effort to get turned around whenever he is between things.

I for one, along with you, lean more towards the even larger enclosure - but at this point in my life (purchasing a new home) I wouldn't be able to work on a DIY project for another month or two down the road.
On that note as well, be careful with building the height of your enclosure too high - they need to be fairly close to the UVB and the further your lights are - the harder it can get to heat.

I did go ahead and purchase the 36" x 18" x 18" enclosure (since it was on sale from $199.99 to $109.99) but I do have a 60 day return policy window (though I may just keep it for a future member to the family).

On terms of your flooring - what's causing you to go vinyl over tile? I'm on the side of the fence that favors tile for the warmth benefits and natural filing of a bearded dragon's claws!

All that being said, building my own enclosure is definitely my long term goal, but it simply isn't feasible at the moment...

Could anybody provide some insight at to which enclosure I should keep Merlin in, for the meantime?

48" L x 12" D x 20" H vs 36" L x 18" D x 18" H

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
It seems to me the one you bought already 36/18/18 might be best of the two you mentioned. It wouldnt be as long..but long enough for him to stretch out. And it's a tad wider to give more room to turn around.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
It seems to me the one you bought already 36/18/18 might be best of the two you mentioned. It wouldnt be as long..but long enough for him to stretch out. And it's a tad wider to give more room to turn around.

That was what I was currently thinking as well.. at least for the time being!
Technically it has a greater area for him to run around in (4.5 sq ft vs 4 sq ft).

Latest posts