• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EMERGENCY - EMACIATED BEARDIE

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello everyone,
A lady on Reddit beardie isn’t doing too well at all. The beardie is 10 years old and looking to be in bad shape. They are going to the vet tomorrow and she has an account on here but for some reason she can’t post yet. She’s looking for suggestions on how she can help her beardie get better. Here are some pictures of her

Attachments

• 571D27F7-67AA-424D-9918-F898623F2977.png
    571D27F7-67AA-424D-9918-F898623F2977.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 9F2DD7BE-CE1C-4CEC-BDF4-92A810647996.png
    9F2DD7BE-CE1C-4CEC-BDF4-92A810647996.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 40

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone,
A lady on Reddit beardie isn’t doing too well at all. The beardie is 10 years old and looking to be in bad shape. They are going to the vet tomorrow and she has an account on here but for some reason she can’t post yet. She’s looking for suggestions on how she can help her beardie get better. Here are some pictures of her
The dragon needs water - syringe feed very slowly so she does not aspirate- let her swallow what she puts in-- next what are the basking temps and how is she taking them? No stick ons digital probe thermometer- uvb? Brand and bulb - have her set up a hospital tank 20 gallon tank the uvb MUST be a long tube fixture-- NO coils-- place her on some soft towels directly under the uvb and basking bulb - have her set it in the middle of the tank you can place the screen from the other tank so the basking bulb is on it+ or use a clamp and use the end of the tote to clamp it on to -

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone,
This poor dragon ❤️
Please tell me she rescued this poor soul?
If it is 10 it is a fighter, help her quickly please, and update us on this

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This poor dragon ❤️
Please tell me she rescued this poor soul?
If it is 10 it is a fighter, help her quickly please, and update us on this
It’s her beardie that sadly isn’t doing too good. But she is doing everything she can and the little one is going to the vet tomorrow :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dragon needs water - syringe feed very slowly so she does not aspirate- let her swallow what she puts in-- next what are the basking temps and how is she taking them? No stick ons digital probe thermometer- uvb? Brand and bulb - have her set up a hospital tank 20 gallon tank the uvb MUST be a long tube fixture-- NO coils-- place her on some soft towels directly under the uvb and basking bulb - have her set it in the middle of the tank you can place the screen from the other tank so the basking bulb is on it+ or use a clamp and use the end of the tote to clamp it on to -
She needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- ASAP along w/ a 24" fixture zoo med this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb but you need a 10.0 reptisun T 5- pet stores usually only sell T 8'- the 5.0 bulb is good but they need to have a distance 6-8 inches and expire in 6 months- the tank look terrible please get the tank cleaned out use paper towels or get her in to a tote like explained earlier- start syringe feeding her slurries of fresh greens like collard turnip kale mixed w/ some squash zucchini or yellow mix w/ water and a punch of calcium d 3-- what has the dragon been fed? When did she last eat? Feed small amounts at a time like a 1/2 ml for now 3 times / day-- she needs proper lighting ASAP-- distance for a 10.0 T 5 bulb is 12-15 inches - the T 8 6-8 directly above the basking decor- why is there a fish tank in her tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get the dragon out in direct sunlight for 15 minutes in a tote or sitting on you - NO GLASS-- watch her if using a tote this will help till correct uvb is placed on the tank- but she needs correct basking temps and uvb -- please post pics of the tank or tote when you get it set up- I can post a pic if a hospital tank in the morning

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your using a 20 gallon plastic tote please get a Exo Terra bright white basking bulb 75 watt -- start there - make sure you take the probe and place it where she is going to be sitting for basking - you do not want to burn her up - temp 95-100 --- please reregister here or try and recover your password so you can start replying
1632143134114.png

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If your using a 20 gallon plastic tote please get a Exo Terra bright white basking bulb 75 watt -- start there - make sure you take the probe and place it where she is going to be sitting for basking - you do not want to burn her up - temp 95-100 --- please reregister here or try and recover your password so you can start replying
View attachment 29737
Hi Sadie I am still in contact with her and her beardie is doing a bit better after giving her a bath. The beardie is going I get some natural sunlight today I suggest about 30 minutes to an hour. She will also be going out today to get the proper lighting and a couple other things as well to set up the hospital tank. And the beardies vet visit is today so if she doesn’t post here I will keep you all updated if anything

H3ru_Art

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 29737
Hello, I am the owner of this beardie. Thanks for this reply I will definitely be getting her terrarium upgraded, this helps a lot

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I am the owner of this beardie. Thanks for this reply I will definitely be getting her terrarium upgraded, this helps a lot
Ok NO ENEMAS-- you need to take decal in please

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello everyone so the beardie is doing a bit better, still a little weak but is eating great, drinking lots and getting tons of natural sunlight too. The one thing is that her vet seems a bit odd. For some reason they were giving her antibiotic shots the past 2 days as well as a “protein” shot to help increase her appetite. The problem is she wasn’t diagnosed with anything, especially with something that requires antibiotics. The other thing too is that antibiotics (from what I know of) are usually given once every 3 days to beardies. I have attached the message of what she said the vet told her and if you guys think she should agree with what the vet said or ignore it. The vet also did not have critical care to give her or a fecal test for some reason. They are looking to find another vet at the moment, but are just confused about what the vet is saying. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 49298392-E2F9-4E9B-B6ED-2B7090AC813C.jpeg
    49298392-E2F9-4E9B-B6ED-2B7090AC813C.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 23

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone so the beardie is doing a bit better, still a little weak but is eating great, drinking lots and getting tons of natural sunlight too. The one thing is that her vet seems a bit odd. For some reason they were giving her antibiotic shots the past 2 days as well as a “protein” shot to help increase her appetite. The problem is she wasn’t diagnosed with anything, especially with something that requires antibiotics. The other thing too is that antibiotics (from what I know of) are usually given once every 3 days to beardies. I have attached the message of what she said the vet told her and if you guys think she should agree with what the vet said or ignore it. The vet also did not have critical care to give her or a fecal test for some reason. They are looking to find another vet at the moment, but are just confused about what the vet is saying. Any thoughts?
Before giving antibiotics blood work should of been done to see if infection was going on -- I recommend going to a REPTILE VET -- www.arav.org if living in a small area please type in the closest big city you are near for best results ---- a fecal can be done w/ out a ENEMA--- you dont take antibiotics just to take them do you? I dont -- if there is a infection the correct antibiotic should be given to treat for that specific infection --- please see another vet and keep getting her out in natural sun till the UVB comes -- please post back on here when it comes in --- has she set up a hospital tank ?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Before giving antibiotics blood work should of been done to see if infection was going on -- I recommend going to a REPTILE VET -- www.arav.org if living in a small area please type in the closest big city you are near for best results ---- a fecal can be done w/ out a ENEMA--- you dont take antibiotics just to take them do you? I dont -- if there is a infection the correct antibiotic should be given to treat for that specific infection --- please see another vet and keep getting her out in natural sun till the UVB comes -- please post back on here when it comes in --- has she set up a hospital tank ?
Thanks Sadie, I had a feeling I wasn’t crazy. It just made no sense as I was reading it but again because I’m no vet I didn’t want to ‘toot my own horn’ so I wanted to check with others as well. The hospital tank is set up and she’s doing well, still not moving around much but is eating and drinking super well. Another thing I wanted to ask. She’s yet to go to the bathroom and they don’t know the last time she went, it could have been a while ago. She’s drinking water basically daily so he’s hydrated enough and getting feed by syringe a couple times daily. Besides giving her a drop or two of olive oil is there anything else she can do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sadie, I had a feeling I wasn’t crazy. It just made no sense as I was reading it but again because I’m no vet I didn’t want to ‘toot my own horn’ so I wanted to check with others as well. The hospital tank is set up and she’s doing well, still not moving around much but is eating and drinking super well. Another thing I wanted to ask. She’s yet to go to the bathroom and they don’t know the last time she went, it could have been a while ago. She’s drinking water basically daily so he’s hydrated enough and getting feed by syringe a couple times daily. Besides giving her a drop or two of olive oil is there anything else she can do?
She can add canned pumpkin plain no spices in it- unsweetened applesauce baby prunes+ those are all laxatives w/ her being dehydrated and no food it may take the digestive system to kick in but she must have good basking temps for that to start 95-100 w/ taken by a digital probe thermometer- placed on basking decor for 10 minutes

Latest posts