• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Economy or New unprepared breeders

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
im just wondering what other peoples input on this is. Do you think the drastic turn in the reptile industry is due to the economy or due to fly by night breeders jumping in head first then crashing the market with their prices cause they cant take care of the babies they have? I know it seems like a strange question its just from seeing the downward spiral of all prices im wondering who is really to blame. most of the bigger breeders dont seem to be adjusting their prices much if any but newbies pop up daily that are selling their animals so far below market value that its almost wholesale.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its both Brian.
Family's have to start choosing between paying bills, or food vs going out, or getting a pet.
Im sure the industry has been thru fly by nighters many times. Thats why the big guys arent changing their prices. They will just ride it out like they have in the past.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I figured that would be the general consensus still wanted to ask. As its not only beardies, look at the ball python market, or hell even monitors. the ones im interested in (black heads) are 150-250 a pop now when under a decade ago you would pay 800-1000 for one.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They will just ride it out like they have in the past.

pretty much, that's it. Seeing hi's and lows in the different economic situations thru time, its logical that it'll turn around again at some point. it's still fairly early in the game for the people that can raised 500 babies at time for the same cost as it takes some to raise 30 to throw in the towel just yet and lower their prices. For everyone else tho.......if you can.......buy early.

your occasional breeder will always exist. it's an experience that anybody with any love for this hobby should try once........within reason and limits. but it's not breaking the backbone of this hobby. that's just the plain sucky economy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
as bad as it sounds i slightly hope that the market pics up AFTER i move to columbia. Cause there are 2 species i want to pick up. Frilled dragon and black headed monitor. (shhhh dont tell the wife about the monitor)

If they stay the price they are currently ill be buying one.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I can tell you I don't think it is due to the economy! Because people that love reptiles are going to get them come hell or high water! I do partially put the blame on smaller breeders! It is just like electronics, the first blue ray player came out and it was 5-600Bucks. Now that everyone makes them and everyone has them they are only 99 bucks! The other part of blame I put on the reptile laws per certain states! Well that is my opinion!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lance.......
are you suggesting supply and demand? supply being on the upside of this slump at this moment? i can see that........
but i don't think may people have the money to buy as well.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, and I can see it being some of the economy. They buy the reptile then they cant feed them! I have seen this many of times. ::)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That was essentially my point. That unprepared breeders (i.e folks who had no idea just how much time money and effort it takes to not aonly raise a baby to selling age but then trying to sell it) that hatch out 100+ animals and then panick. They in turn sell these animals for like 15-30 a pop plus shipping. (like i said below wholesale). take the Pied Ball python morph for instance. Now that so many people have them and thought it would be cool or fun to breed it, the price of them has gone from previously 1500+ to now you can pick them up for around 800 or less even. I feel it is due to there being a surplus in the supply in comparrison to the limited demand.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a pied is usually priced depending on the high white markings it carries, not simply because it's pied. Bad comparison, but i get your point. It makes alot of sense.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You need to look at the prices breeders are competing with as well i.e. chain pet store prices. This is inevitably the dumping grounds for "fly by night" breeders as these chain stores are buying whole sale clutches from breeders. They can drop the price down as low as they want as what one store loses in profits another one down the chain can pick up just to move the old stock. First time newbies i would say would buy from a pet store rather than look for a breeder (I'd say around 60%-70% of first time beardie purchases are impulse purchases from pet stores). You only have to look at forums over and over to validate that point.

A good specimen to someone that knows and have done their research is a good buy at whatever price, but to a newbie that has done no research a beardie is a beardie. So why pay top $$$ when you can get one for as low as $30.

Consider this guys for you that breed, what is the number of time that you have been contacted for a baby by somebody that has done no research (impulse buy) VS somebody that has done a bit of research and have considered your specimens the best choice for their price range? ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Consider this guys for you that breed, what is the number of time that you have been contacted for a baby by somebody that has done no research (impulse buy) VS somebody that has done a bit of research and have considered your specimens the best choice for their price range? Wink

this is true. Id say around 2/3rds of the inquiries i recieved were from people that had seen a beardie at a pet store and then went to look for info, found me, thought mine were pretty, then said no thanks when i told them a price and sent them care info.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I agree with Lance about the supply and demand. If beardies price truly crashes, less will breed and the demand will raise, and so will their prices.. As long as people can get new morphs out of beardies, there will always be a demand. Its the same with leos.

Also, because of things like the internet, more people hear about pet reptiles and get intrigued. People have better success with their animals too because of all the info.

Brian,

Tristis being a couple hundred bucks is due to the amount of people working with them. If you were to pump out 500 babies a year, the price would drop (not a big demand for them). If only a couple people are working with them, the price goes up. Years ago Ackies were cheaper then they are now. More people were working with them then.

Latest posts