• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eatting is slowing down

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve had Luna since she was 12 weeks old ( we believe she’s a girl but haven’t really checked since getting her). Got her from a breeder in November so I think she’s around 7 months old. Since getting her she’s been in a 4ft enclosure. She has a 100w basking light with temps around 105. She has a T8 bulb, and cool side is about 84. Lights on for 12hrs and off for 12hrs. Humidity does sit low, about 28% but I spray often and it comes up to about 40%. She was always a good eater, locusts and Dubias, about 30+ a day, wax worms occasionally. My issues are that she sits on her log on her hide pretty much all the time, I have to move her to bask, then after about 30 mins she moves back over to the cool side and just lays there. Is she just lazy, is this normal?. Also, she now only really eats about 10, at most, locusts a day, and shows no interest in wanting more. She does get some veg through the day, mainly Pak Choi as she really won’t eat anything else. She poops every 2 or 3rd day and it looks normal. I’m just worried that something could be wrong with her. She looks exactly the same. She hasn’t had a shed in about 6 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. Photos included. Thanks

Attachments

• AC2CC143-1678-4A47-A39B-3A298C22371F.jpeg
    AC2CC143-1678-4A47-A39B-3A298C22371F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 549DD143-CAAF-4022-BBC2-4343AF297E4D.jpeg
    549DD143-CAAF-4022-BBC2-4343AF297E4D.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 8D856917-507D-4017-853F-B86BFD60C0CD.jpeg
    8D856917-507D-4017-853F-B86BFD60C0CD.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 22DD4672-ACF6-48E0-8EDA-84E3C5ABADEF.jpeg
    22DD4672-ACF6-48E0-8EDA-84E3C5ABADEF.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve had Luna since she was 12 weeks old ( we believe she’s a girl but haven’t really checked since getting her). Got her from a breeder in November so I think she’s around 7 months old. Since getting her she’s been in a 4ft enclosure. She has a 100w basking light with temps around 105. She has a T8 bulb, and cool side is about 84. Lights on for 12hrs and off for 12hrs. Humidity does sit low, about 28% but I spray often and it comes up to about 40%. She was always a good eater, locusts and Dubias, about 30+ a day, wax worms occasionally. My issues are that she sits on her log on her hide pretty much all the time, I have to move her to bask, then after about 30 mins she moves back over to the cool side and just lays there. Is she just lazy, is this normal?. Also, she now only really eats about 10, at most, locusts a day, and shows no interest in wanting more. She does get some veg through the day, mainly Pak Choi as she really won’t eat anything else. She poops every 2 or 3rd day and it looks normal. I’m just worried that something could be wrong with her. She looks exactly the same. She hasn’t had a shed in about 6 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. Photos included. Thanks
Ok Luna looks good but the slowing down on the eating is concerning for her age --- lets go over the UVB first - is it inside the tank? I would consider upgrading to a T 5 - T 8's are good but for the size of your tank you want a T 5- I am assuming your using a Reptisun 10.0 bulb? Next the distance for a T 8 should be directly over her basking decor 6-8 inches and not over 6 months old - T 8's expire in 6 months I recommend changing them out at 5--- next basking bulb is it a CLEAR bright white bulb -- solid no coils please - also you dont want any colored off white or yellowish bulb or daytime bulbs they have a neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking instead.
How are you getting your basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate- IR guns are good but will or cannot read off of certain material -- you want 2 digital probes one for cool side of the tank and one for your basking side and you want surface basking temps -
Next I would get rid of the wood chips -- one chip eaten could end in disastrous results - internal bleeding from a sharp chip - textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath clean w/ vinegar/ water -- or slated ceramic tile cut to the size of the tank measurements need to be from inside--- layed in loosely so tiles can be pulled for cleaning -- you can use some thick shop paper towels from Walmart to lay under the tile to catch the watery urate - but it has to be cut w/ a tile cutter other wise you get jagged edges --

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your reply. The basking bulb is a clear white bulb, it’s an exo Terro 100w white bulb. The T8 bulb is inside the tank, and was only bought in December, and yes your correct it’s a reprising 10 I believe. I would’ve got a T5 but the top of the tank is wooden and really wasn’t sure how to have the bulb above by cutting the roof. At the moment, the uvb is more central in the tank, does that need to move. I’ve attached a picture to show the lighting.
Temps are taken with digital probes at each side of the tank, we also have a digital humidity sensor, naturally it sits around 28%, but we spray the tank regularly and it comes up to around 40%, slowly going down over the next couple hours.
I will be changing the chips, I have ordered shelf liner and just waiting on it arriving. It was the man at Pets at Home that said that was suitable, I now realise from reading here and elsewhere that they are not suitable.
I meant to say in my original post, she does get calcium and multivitamins a couple of times a week sprinkled on her veg.

Attachments

• 215D4C63-9FED-4B48-B27C-F442D53FD2DA.jpeg
    215D4C63-9FED-4B48-B27C-F442D53FD2DA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your reply. The basking bulb is a clear white bulb, it’s an exo Terro 100w white bulb. The T8 bulb is inside the tank, and was only bought in December, and yes your correct it’s a reprising 10 I believe. I would’ve got a T5 but the top of the tank is wooden and really wasn’t sure how to have the bulb above by cutting the roof. At the moment, the uvb is more central in the tank, does that need to move. I’ve attached a picture to show the lighting.
Temps are taken with digital probes at each side of the tank, we also have a digital humidity sensor, naturally it sits around 28%, but we spray the tank regularly and it comes up to around 40%, slowly going down over the next couple hours.
I will be changing the chips, I have ordered shelf liner and just waiting on it arriving. It was the man at Pets at Home that said that was suitable, I now realise from reading here and elsewhere that they are not suitable.
I meant to say in my original post, she does get calcium and multivitamins a couple of times a week sprinkled on her veg.
Ok the T 8 needs to go into a fixture w/ a reflector - as of now your UVB rays are bouncing all over the tank so to speak and she is getting very little to no UVB ---- is your tank 24" high? If its 24 or even 18" I would upgrade your UVB to a T 5 you need a distance of 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece for the T 5 - --- here is a link for the fixtures and bulbs https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is similar to what your using not its basically a T 8 but more for aquarium use it can be used for a back up
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
Please start dusting the insects right now shes not eating because she is not able to absorb the calcium she is getting and I would increase the calcium D3 to 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - the UVB is what helps her absorb the calcium once you get this fixed either getting a new hood w/ reflector or new T 5 her appetite will increase -- as far as the hanging out on the cool side is she basking at all ? And for how long?

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. I will order a uvb reflector today and up her calcium and multivitamins.
The only time she really goes to her basking side is if I move her there. Even when the lights come, she sits in her her hide till I move her over. Once she’s under the basking lamp, she’ll sit there for about 30gb a, then go back over to the cool side. I move her over several times a day so she can bask.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. I will order a uvb reflector today and up her calcium and multivitamins.
The only time she really goes to her basking side is if I move her there. Even when the lights come, she sits in her her hide till I move her over. Once she’s under the basking lamp, she’ll sit there for about 30gb a, then go back over to the cool side. I move her over several times a day so she can bask.
You shouldn't haft to move her please get a different piece of decor under the basking bulb and see what she does- something is off for her to not be sitting under it- dragons should bask for at least 4 hours per day- place one of your digital probes on the ceramic rock and get a temp please

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
On putting a digital probe on the rock it reads 104.8. I did have a hammock under the basking bulb but she never went on that either so I removed it and replaced with the stone to try that. I’ll have a look online at reptile stores and see what else I can try under there for her. Is there anything you recommend? I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and give advice

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On putting a digital probe on the rock it reads 104.8. I did have a hammock under the basking bulb but she never went on that either so I removed it and replaced with the stone to try that. I’ll have a look online at reptile stores and see what else I can try under there for her. Is there anything you recommend? I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and give advice
Temp may be too hot try adjusting the temp down to 95-100 most juveniles / adults do not like that hot of temps -- look at Petsmart you do not want the basking bulb closer than 6" -- can you remove the cage and move the bulb up at all --- if you can you can look for a piece of decor that would give her the option of a gradient heat --
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 I use this in my two tanks I have the long stick part sitting on the floor and the thick part of the piece under the basking bulb but you need clearance so she doesnt get too hot of temps -- they utilize this piece if different ways of sitting on it laying on it or sitting under it -- but you can also look for other pieces

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. I’ll raise the bulb up a bit and test out the temps.
I’ll also have a look and try get some decor like that.

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve changed the chips to the liner this morning and also added the reflector to the UVB. I got her some Dubias early this morning and she ate about 10 so I’m quite pleased at that. Maybe she was fed up of locusts. Hopefully she will start basking with the changes. Thank you for your help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ve changed the chips to the liner this morning and also added the reflector to the UVB. I got her some Dubias early this morning and she ate about 10 so I’m quite pleased at that. Maybe she was fed up of locusts. Hopefully she will start basking with the changes. Thank you for your help
Ok good keep an eye on her behavior please

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; We rescue and rehome. Please lower the temp to 100 as adults 9mnths or over they like 95-100 for the temp. The best basking bulb is the zoomed clear Basking bulb. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs. Also the UVB light needs replacing every 6Mnths otherwise they won’t move, and eating will slow down to nothing & bones will be brittle. The best uvb is the long tubular light called the Reptisun 10.0 T5 please make sure it’s the 10.0. Order this ASAP. Switch This bulb out every 6Mnths. “All UVB lights need replacing every 6Mnths” Also the plate of veggies should be given daily please add mustard greens, yellow squash which is loaded in calcium and they can have endives, butternut squash and collard greens. Those are the best everyday ones. Mix 2-3 everyday and switch it as it gets wilted. Try adding crickets and Dubia roaches those are the best and u can do superworms when she reaches 1 year of age. Make sure u are sprinkling calcium powder 3 times a week/once per day on the proteins u can place proteins in a ziplock sprinkle the calcium powder & shake the bag then feed. And once per week does the herptivite vitamins on a non calcium day. Also baths twice a week for 15min minimim In lukewarm water with Reptisafe drops to remove the chlorine. When she sheds; then give more baths. Here are pics of the calcium/vitamins to buy and the uvb bulb. I promise this will fix the issue. I can see already there tank is very dull and not bright enough and basking is probably way too hot for her. Also summer versus winter the tank will get scorching hot so need to raise or lower the heat the heat lamp or basking spot accordingly. Also get a minimum 40 gallon tank or bigger.

Attachments

• DD5C2DA2-234F-4C51-9142-CFF867FD96C2.jpeg
    DD5C2DA2-234F-4C51-9142-CFF867FD96C2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • A9A599E5-4B8D-42FB-A878-43A90B9A3A8E.jpeg
    A9A599E5-4B8D-42FB-A878-43A90B9A3A8E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 027FC918-DA5B-4F2C-BB42-C9675DF81BE6.jpeg
    027FC918-DA5B-4F2C-BB42-C9675DF81BE6.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 23

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. Neither bulb is a cooled bulb, or a coloured bulb. The basking bulb is a 100w white basking bulb she has and we’ve raised it, that’s brought the temp down to 100. That bulb is 4 months old. The uvb bulb is a t8 bulb, a 10, and is only 3 months old. The reason we got a t8 was due to the wooden roof of her enclosure there was no way to put a t5 above the roof. I have now installed a reflector, however I have ordered a longer bulb.
We have tried different veggies with her, she won’t eat squash or peppers, she will only eat spring greens or pak Choi. She did have 10 roaches this morning and about 20 mins ago had another 15. She wasn’t keen on mario worms, I think they are super worms, when we tried her about 6 weeks ago but I’ll try again.
She does get her bugs and greens sprinkled with calcium 3 times a week and vitamins once a week. She also does get a bath twice a week.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Neither bulb is a cooled bulb, or a coloured bulb. The basking bulb is a 100w white basking bulb she has and we’ve raised it, that’s brought the temp down to 100. That bulb is 4 months old. The uvb bulb is a t8 bulb, a 10, and is only 3 months old. The reason we got a t8 was due to the wooden roof of her enclosure there was no way to put a t5 above the roof. I have now installed a reflector, however I have ordered a longer bulb.
We have tried different veggies with her, she won’t eat squash or peppers, she will only eat spring greens or pak Choi. She did have 10 roaches this morning and about 20 mins ago had another 15. She wasn’t keen on mario worms, I think they are super worms, when we tried her about 6 weeks ago but I’ll try again.
She does get her bugs and greens sprinkled with calcium 3 times a week and vitamins once a week. She also does get a bath twice a week.
Make sure the basking distance for the T 8 is 6-8 inches -- it sounds like shes eating more? and yes mario are super worms -- she may not like them - mine wont eat meal or wax worms - which is fine w/ me wax are very fatty and meal worms are not good for babies of which mine are not but just fyi -- maybe try some horn worms --

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
The t8 is around 6” away from the basking bulb at the moment.
Yes she does seem to be eating better, and is still pooping. I wonder if she just got fed up of locusts, that’s been her main bug since we got her in November. She loves wax worms, but we only give her them once a week. She’s never had meal worms. I had read about horn worms, but they are illegal in the UK apparently. Shame as beardies seem to love them.
She just needs to learn to bask on her own now without me moving her there

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The t8 is around 6” away from the basking bulb at the moment.
Yes she does seem to be eating better, and is still pooping. I wonder if she just got fed up of locusts, that’s been her main bug since we got her in November. She loves wax worms, but we only give her them once a week. She’s never had meal worms. I had read about horn worms, but they are illegal in the UK apparently. Shame as beardies seem to love them.
She just needs to learn to bask on her own now without me moving her there
I did not know that about the horn worms -- the reflector on the bulb is the most helping I am thinking and she got a treat to boot w/ the change of staple feeder -- -- yes watch the basking thing - that reflector is directing the UVB rays downward to her and that is what you want

Luna2021

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just a quick update. I’ve made all the changes, reflector for uvb, changed the height of the basking bulb, and replaced the chips with shelf liner and she seems happier. She’s more alert and is basking better. I’m still waiting on a new basking rock. I got new bugs yesterday and threw away the old ones incase there was something wrong with them. I got dubia roaches, crickets, more locusts and wax worms for treats. She would eat the wax worms non stop if I let her lol. She is eatting the roaches and the crickets, and worms, but still not the roaches so I think she’s maybe gone off them. But overall I’m a lot happier with her. Thank you both for your advice

Latest posts