• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubia roaches

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so the more i look things up the more and more i want to start a colony , seem very easy to keep and breed, but i have to convince my brothers girlfriend to let me breed roaches in the house lol. so anyone here have any experience in this area, as to how fast a colony grows, how long i have to wait to start feeding the roaches to my beardie, and how to keep them from over populating the space i give them.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
also anyone have a link to buy some of those water gel things i can buy as a water supply for them?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the long run... certainly. The initial start up cost is what gets most people.
Hope this helps.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dubias are awesome! They don't stink and they don't make noise. I love having them.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't mean to steal the thread but can dubias be fed to juveniles too? And if I'm only breeding for one dragon how many adult roach pairs do I need? When do the roaches get fed to Baby and how many is a good amount?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes roaches can be fed to babies.. I fed my 7-8 week old dragons on dubia ( correctly sized) and they are still feasting on those roaches to this day, almost 2 years later.
I also feed roaches to my leopard geckos (correctly sized) and I have some lovely gecks !

If you want to start a colony for one young dragon, I would recommend starting out with as many mixed sizes as you can afford. Also, 1 male to 3 female roaches is an excellent ratio.

Once the roaches are settled in, you should see the adults producing baby roaches every month. But you won't be feeding off for several months.

You can read the sticky thread "How to do roaches" at the top of this topic thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask..
Hope this helps.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ya there was a time when i just could not get any crickets here and had to feed off my colony to early and now i have to order more or just wait oh, ikd 6 months lol, but right now its order more to start a colony of spend money on my upcoming vaca lol.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dubia colony is about 8 months in and I cant wait for the day I dont have to deal with those rotten crickets... do yourself a favor, get as many mixed dubias and you can afford ( at least a few hundred) and DONT TOUCH THEM. mine has taken so long because once my girls got a taste of roaches, they got picky, so of course I give in when my little one wont touch crickets and have to give her roaches. so get a ton, and just give the colony plenty of food and let it be. eventually it will get big. but it takes time, they give live birth, not eggs, so its slow unfortunately.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok so here is the deal on dubias. I bought like 5 mixed cups (25+ count) from Mulberry farms so I can get some medium roaches and more adults to start breeding. In the meantime I bought 500 extra small dubia which I am not going to touch until they are at least medium size while the adults breed and contribute to the nymph bin. So far my 15 or so adults have given me around 25 or so baby nymphs. Once this batch of crickets runs out I am DONE. Never again will I endure this incessant chirping. Worms and roaches from here on out. Just wish silks were as easy to raise as dubia are :( . My last bunch all died off.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I love roaches. -for my beardie that is. I did have my two pairs produce about 20 baby roaches and it was a cool sight to see. Beardie will not eat crickets anymore. His last crickets that overlapped his roach order he just stared at-literally

Latest posts